Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a used 2020 RTL-E locally with 4,xxx miles on it for $39k. What would be a good price on this considering I'm seeing people getting new ones for $36-37k? Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just looking in the forums where people posted what they bought theirs for and was going off that.

·
Super Moderator
5,361 Posts
I found a used 2020 RTL-E locally with 4,xxx miles on it for $39k. What would be a good price on this considering I'm seeing people getting new ones for $36-37k? Thanks in advance for your help.
You should be able to find a brand new one for that price ($39K) or a little less. The interest rate will be higher on the used one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was hoping to save a few thousand on the used one. If I can't get a big enough discount then it'll make more sense to buy new.

·
Super Moderator
5,361 Posts
You can save a few thousand on a used one, but you will have to move down to a 2018 or 2019 RL. The dealers make a great deal of money on used vehicles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can save a few thousand on a used one, but you will have to move down to a 2018 or 2019 RL. The dealers make a great deal of money on used vehicles.
The dealer has a 2020 they received on a trade-in because an older gentleman didnt like the new shifter in the 20s. Trying to figure out what would be a good starting point for negotiation to get me the best deal possible.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,722 Posts
The dealer has a 2020 they received on a trade-in because an older gentleman didnt like the new shifter in the 20s. Trying to figure out what would be a good starting point for negotiation to get me the best deal possible.
Are you shopping for a vehicle or are you shopping for the 'biggest discount from the asking price'?

There is a difference, think about it ;)

Regardless of what others have posted, what's the best OTD price you can find for a comparable new 2020 in your region? If financing, add that in to get the life-cycle purchase cost.

Then, offer some 'lower-than-that' OTD amount that yields a better life-cycle purchase cost to you (including any financing) for the 'near-new-but-used' RL. The 'lower-than-that OTD amount' is the price that will incite you to actually and immediately close the deal on the used RL instead of a new one.

Cut to the chase, eliminate the usually frustrating and stressful negotiating games, know the value of the deal to you and simply walk-away if that isn't a deal the dealer wants to make.

IMO

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you shopping for a vehicle or are you shopping for the 'biggest discount from the asking price'?

There is a difference, think about it ;)

Regardless of what others have posted, what's the best OTD price you can find for a comparable new 2020 in your region? If financing, add that in to get the life-cycle purchase cost.

Then, offer some 'lower-than-that' OTD amount that yields a better life-cycle purchase cost to you (including any financing) for the 'near-new-but-used' RL. The 'lower-than-that OTD amount' is the price that will incite you to actually and immediately close the deal on the used RL instead of a new one.

Cut to the chase, eliminate the usually frustrating and stressful negotiating games, know the value of the deal to you and simply walk-away if that isn't a deal the dealer wants to make.

IMO
Awesome! Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for. I will figure out what a new one goes for in the area and offer under that. I have an idea of where I want to be and what I am willing to pay and the RL is a nice to have not a need to have right now so I have no issue walking away. Thanks again.

·
Administrator
14,930 Posts
Did the "older gentleman" not notice the pushbutton shifter during his test drive before he purchased the vehicle? Was the 540-watt audio system so inadequate that he needed to add a more powerful amplifier? (See mystery wire in the photo below.) It's interesting that a new Honda delivered to a dealership in Louisiana ended up at a used-only dealership in Florida three months after purchase. Did the "older gentleman" dislike the new Honda so much that he traded it for a used vehicle? Does this vehicle have a history that hasn't appeared on CARFAX (yet)? Also, although the dealer stamped "CERTIFIED" on this vehicle, it is not a Honda Certified Pre-Owned vehicle (that's only possible when buying used from a Honda dealership).

I small BS all over this one.

Also, check out this Yelp review of the seller from 5/14/20...

"I purchased a 2019 Nissan Rogue Sport exactly one week ago. It was used, 7k miles, an amazing price. A few days ago, my fiancée backed into a fence post and left a nasty gouge on the trim piece above the tire, so I called a body shop to replace it. No big deal. Upon the bumper being removed, it was very obvious the vehicle was in an accident that was not on the CarFax, and was definitely covered up with a simple coat of paint, and a fresh bumper. Nobody would have known, since inspections generally don't involve a complete removal of a bumper. [...] The picture attached is the damage discovered, and when zoomed in, you can see the rust that has built up, the crumpled metal, the blind spot sensor out of place, and very obvious brush-strokes from where it was hand painted with white paint."

1592418683304.png

Funny how that review appears on the Yelp reviewer's page, but not the dealer's Yelp page. In the interest of full disclosure, the buyer did say that the dealer agreed to cover the cost of the repairs (duh) and that they would buy from them again (dumb).

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,307 Posts
If you're set on buying the used 2020......which sounds fishy......tell the dealer you want to speak with the "old man" who didn't like the shifter. It'll never happen. Shop new if you are going to spend that much. Plenty of us here got great deals on new ones.......$38,500 being on the higher side, so that gives you an idea of how good a deal you might get.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Agree with the sentiment of the other posters on here. I bought my last two Hondas (Pilot and Ridgeline) new at prices lower than 6-12 old used vehicles. There are some good deals to be had on new vehicles it you buy from the right dealer at the right time. And like others have mentioned, factor in near interest free loans and it's a no-brainier.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Same dealer has a 2019 Sport with 7 miles! Carfax documents it was damaged in Sept of 2019 prior to being titled. Maybe damaged in transit from the factory? It sold at auction as a manufacturer‘s vehicle. List price is $6K more than I paid for a new 2019 Sport. I would like to know the story behind this vehicle. With 7 miles on the odometer it certainly wasn’t driven anywhere.
https://www.frontiermotorsinc.com/auto/used-2019-honda-ridgeline-sport-pensacola-fl/44721426/

·
Registered
170 Posts
The dealer will wait for the right customer, one who will compare the used price to the msrp on a new one. For you to buy it and still live with yourself, you must purchase it for $32k-$33k.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Administrator
14,930 Posts
The dealer will wait for the right customer, one who will compare the used price to the msrp on a new one. For you to buy it and still live with yourself, you must purchase it for $32k-$33k.
Yep. That one Ridgeline only needs one buyer out of the general population. They'll eventually find a sucker. People grossly overpay for vehicles all day, every day. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yep. That one Ridgeline only needs one buyer out of the general population. They'll eventually find a sucker. People grossly overpay for vehicles all day, every day. :)
There are people who wake up one day and decide to drive down to the local dealer and see what they have. Low and behold they have a used 2020 Ridgeline for $4000. less than a brand new one. Sold, sold sold!! Then they tell all their friends what a great deal they got on this awesome vehicle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts