Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying a used honda ridgeline 2017, 70,000 km for $32,000 cad. Never purchased a ridgeline before but was looking at buying a new one but could not afford it. What issues should I be aware of at this mileage? How reliable are these vehicles if maintained well after i have purchased it and how long can I expect to have it trouble free? Apart from wear and tear ofcourse.

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
I have a 2017 RTL and it has 32,000 mi on it. Other than the recall and my own maintenance following the MM minder that the truck tells me to do, (along with changing the oil at 50% of oil life as well and the tranny fluid at 30k miles and testing it at Blackstone labs) I have had no issues to repair and anything that was a small bug hasn't been an issue. It's been a very good overall truck for my needs. I do have the extended warranty till 120k miles and 8 years so I'll be driving it for a while yet. Mine has only been back at a Honda dealer for a recall once. Nothing else.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
5,058 Posts
Some Ridgeline owners have reported manufacturing debris in the fuel injectors, requiring replacement of the injectors. I also have a 2017 Ridgeline, but have not had this problem crop up yet. No need to worry about it though, enjoy your new Ridgeline.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I bought a 2017 RTL-E in December with 79k miles on it. I bought it from a dealer and it came with a Certified Pre-Owned warranty. I did not factor the CPO into my purchase as I did not expect to need it.

However, my truck is in the shop today to get a warranty replacement of the Torque Converter.

I can’t speak to how common this is, but there have been a few other owners on the forum with transmission replacements at relatively low mileage.

I love the truck, but something to take into consideration.

79k miles = 127k km

70k kilometers = 43.5 miles

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
What trim level is it? New in 2017 they ran from about 40K to 50K, so whether that is a good price depends on whether its a basic or a decked out Touring or BE.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 2017 RTL and it has 32,000 mi on it. Other than the recall and my own maintenance following the MM minder that the truck tells me to do, (along with changing the oil at 50% of oil life as well and the tranny fluid at 30k miles and testing it at Blackstone labs) I have had no issues to repair and anything that was a small bug hasn't been an issue. It's been a very good overall truck for my needs. I do have the extended warranty till 120k miles and 8 years so I'll be driving it for a while yet. Mine has only been back at a Honda dealer for a recall once. Nothing else.

Steve
Thank you
What trim level is it? New in 2017 they ran from about 40K to 50K, so whether that is a good price depends on whether its a basic or a decked out Touring or BE.
Black edition

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had family Honda/Acura vehicles in the past with the similiar V6/Honda drivetrain. (2005 Odyssey/2006 MDX)

Both had transmission problems in their lifetime related to their torque converters.

I bought the 8yr/120k to hopefully prepare myself in case I run into problems with my 2019.

Oddly enough, a friend with a 2019 Accord with the 1.5T just had his injectors replaced at 10k because they all failed....

·
Administrator
14,046 Posts
Like the vast majority, my 2017 RTL-E didn't have any major failures during the two years and ~24K miles I owned it.

The most common problem with 2017's is fuel injector failure which is covered under the 3/36 warranty (not the 5/60 powertrain warranty), the 7/70 California emissions warranty, or up to 8/120 by Honda Care.

The transmission in my 2019 Ridgeline just failed at 14K miles and is currently being replaced, but that's an outlier.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm buying a used honda ridgeline 2017, 70,000 km for $32,000 cad. Never purchased a ridgeline before but was looking at buying a new one but could not afford it. What issues should I be aware of at this mileage? How reliable are these vehicles if maintained well after i have purchased it and how long can I expect to have it trouble free? Apart from wear and tear ofcourse.
Wow! I only paid $37,000 for my 2019 RTL-E brand new.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a 2017 only to find the cable in bottom drivers side tailgate opening had been damaged by the hinges. There is an excellent thread with photos here in the forum. When broken, the backup camera fails. Also, the cowl cover, drivers side that covers the wiper attachment bolt was missing.

·
Administrator
14,046 Posts
I'm curious if you know what caused the transmission to fail or if it was just one of those random unexplained occurrences?
The transmission suddenly started whining in park and neutral with a pitch and volume proportional to engine speed and in reverse in proportion to vehicle speed. I'll never know the root cause. I've never towed, misused, or abused the vehicle. One other member here reported identical symptoms and received a new transmission.

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
Bad pumps are uncommon on a transmission failure by themselves. Usually, there is something else that fails (think debris in the closed loop) that causes the excessive pump wear. Most transmission just plain old wear out. Failures can occur from the ones I've seen mostly by overheating them. Heat kills. That's the biggest problem I'd say overall. Not just for transmissions but on a lot of products in general.

Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are paying too much I just bought a 2019 RTLE AWD for $32,000 with 34,000 mi from carmax. 2nd Ridgeline and great trucks. Last one was a 2007 and I drove it 187,000 miles with regular maintenance and no break downs. You will be pleased with your purchase of a Ridgeline.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts

Steve
My experience is almost exactly the same as Steve’s. I have a US 2017 RTL-E, early production, purchased new Aug 2016, VIN 9XXX, and added the 120K/8yr Honda extended warranty discount priced from College Hills Honda. I have only 27,000 miles, of which 1,500 are towing (500 daughter’s CRZ from school), and about 1,000 towing my 4,200 lb boat). One warranty repair (AC condenser leak) but otherwise no other problems, follow the MM except I also added the 3X tranny flush/fill about 2K miles ago. I had its 2 recalls done (rear harness and fuel pump cover), though no problem symptoms from them.

I’ve followed this forum since purchase. IMHO, I’d say the systemic problems this vehicle may incur (though at a low % of owners, relatively speaking) are the fuel injector issue and the transmission judder thing. Also IMHO, most other vehicles also have systemic problems of different varying types and prevalence. Though I think Honda has slipped a bit from their halcyon golden age days (design/quality/reliability wise), I still think they’re above average. Since I plan on keeping the vehicle for a while, the 120K/8 yr extended warranty ($0 deductible) for $1,200 was (for me) a no brainer, given the expensive mechanics and high tech in todays vehicles. Many other shorter/cheaper OEM extended warranties are also available.

And I’m still pleased with it (YMMV). My only advice to those considering buying a used 2017 Ridgeline (or ANY make/model, for that matter) is to buy only CPO (certified pre-owned, with Honda OEM extended warranty). That’s another no brainer, at relatively small cost - given the expensive cost of many repairs. EVERY extended OEM warranty (on new) or CPO (on used) I’ve ever bought has paid for itself in 1-2 repairs.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,054 Posts
You are paying too much I just bought a 2019 RTLE AWD for $32,000 with 34,000 mi from carmax. 2nd Ridgeline and great trucks. Last one was a 2007 and I drove it 187,000 miles with regular maintenance and no break downs. You will be pleased with your purchase of a Ridgeline.
Canadian vs US Dollar also referred to as CAD vs USD

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Back to the OP, yes, $32K CAD is likely a decent price even at 44,000 miles. That's $20K below what the BE originally sold for.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts