Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

First time caller - long time listener.

I've been pushing my 06 RTL with 215k for the last 6 months and love it. I came from a world of Jeep Wranglers, and never plan on looking back. I've slowly been updating everything to try and maximize my lifespan. What other fluids are recommended?

I've done:
  • oil,
  • drain and fill tranny 3x,
  • coolant flush (with new timing belt),
  • I haven't done diff fluid, but i plan to soon.
  • ???
Let me know what you guys think and i'll add it to the list!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Read up on SMOD and you will understand why the radiator should be replaced (if it hasn't already).
When you did the transmission did you replace the front differential fluid? That's usually done on the same interval as the transmission fluid.
Definitely replace the rear diff fluid (Honda VTM4)
Replace the brake fluid
Replace the power steering fluid
Do you know the history of timing belt changes? (EDIT, I see you say you just did your timing belt) Its due pretty much every 105K miles so you are due for the second belt. Tensioners, water pump and serp belt too.
Have you done the valve clearances and spark plugs? Those are also due on the 105k interval.
Agree that shocks and struts are probably close to shot at 215k miles.
Look at your axles
Look at your motor mounts
Look at your ball joints, tie rod ends, control arm bushings, sway bar bushings and end links.
Make sure the water drains on the bottoms of the doors are clear. Make sure the "gutter" around the trunk is clear (including its drain holes)
Make sure that the pins that the calipers float on properly lubed
There's more, but that's a good start

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Read up on SMOD and you will understand why the radiator should be replaced (if it hasn't already).
When you did the transmission did you replace the front differential fluid? That's usually done on the same interval as the transmission fluid.
Definitely replace the rear diff fluid (Honda VTM4)
Replace the brake fluid
Replace the power steering fluid
Do you know the history of timing belt changes? (EDIT, I see you say you just did your timing belt) Its due pretty much every 105K miles so you are due for the second belt. Tensioners, water pump and serp belt too.
Have you done the valve clearances and spark plugs? Those are also due on the 105k interval.
Agree that shocks and struts are probably close to shot at 215k miles.
Look at your axles
Look at your motor mounts
Look at your ball joints, tie rod ends, control arm bushings, sway bar bushings and end links.
Make sure the water drains on the bottoms of the doors are clear. Make sure the "gutter" around the trunk is clear (including its drain holes)
Make sure that the pins that the calipers float on properly lubed
There's more, but that's a good start
woofta! Thanks man. This is great.
I know the original owner well and he took great care of it. I had the radiator inspected and it’s running clear. The previous owner had a grease over the drain plug to prevent corrosion. I haven’t done either diff fluid but that was my plan for next trip.

i haven’t done the valve adjustment either. Getting quotes for that soon.

I wasn’t aware of the drain holes on door or the gutter in the trunk. I’ll have to look into this.

thanks again. I appreciate it!

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you have the original radiator, you’re on borrowed time. The failing of the radiator occurs not at the drain plug , but at the transmission cooling lines. This is not just a Ridgeline thing, this occurs on most Honda/Acura vehicles.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
If you have the original radiator, you’re on borrowed time. The failing of the radiator occurs not at the drain plug , but at the transmission cooling lines. This is not just a Ridgeline thing, this occurs on most Honda/Acura vehicles.
Yes to the above. Read up on SMOD. Your 2006's radiator if original is a prime candidate for fitting failure. There is an oil (transmission fluid) to coolant heat exchanger inside the radiator. The fittings on the stock radiator can fail causing massive leak as well as the possibility for coolant to be sucked into the transmission. This can result in complete transmission failure. Its a dissimilar metals corrosion issue and no amount of outside protection will stop the process. Best bet for a vehicle that you plan on keeping is to replace the radiator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts