Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 RTL with 217K Miles on the clock. Truck wont go into reverse and I am replacing the trans.

I have a line on a trans for $790 USD. Trans shop is gonna charge $869 USD to install with new seals and honda fluid.

I know a rebuilt one is prob double the install cost ..

Do you Ridge experts have an opinion on which way to go?

I plan on keeping this truck for sometime.

I should mention the used trans has 120546 miles on it.

·
Administrator
16,833 Posts
That's suspiciously cheap for a functioning transmission. I would expect used to go for around $1,500 and remanufactured to go for about $3,500.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I have a line on a trans for $790 USD. Trans shop is gonna charge $869 USD to install with new seals and honda fluid.
Thinking potential SMOD...............................

..................is it the transmission shop offering the transmission and if so, are they offering any warranty? If no, then personally I would pass............

Bill

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it the transmission shop offering the transmission and if so, are they offering any warranty? If no, then personally I would pass............

Bill
Its a junk yard.
I have done ebay searches and the price is in line with what I see.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thinking potential SMOD...............................

..................is it the transmission shop offering the transmission and if so, are they offering any warranty? If no, then personally I would pass............

Bill
If the trans shop takes the tranny pan off they should be able to tell if SMOD occurred right? If go used trans route I will have them inspect and put new seals in.

the junk yard will warranty the trans.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2011 RTL
81 Posts
When we source used parts from LKQ for hard up customers, they come with a 6 month parts only warranty or for an additional cost, a 12 month/12k mile parts and labor warranty. We give the customer the option of which route they'd prefer to go. These parts also come with a tag telling you what MUST be replaced at the time of install to have that warranty in effect.

If it helps, I have rarely seen a used part sourced like this fail.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
If the trans shop takes the tranny pan off they should be able to tell if SMOD occurred right? If go used trans route I will have them inspect and put new seals in.

the junk yard will warranty the trans.

Thanks again.
There isn't a 'pan' on a 1st-gen Ridgeline transmission. They'd have to partly disassemble the case to look.

I'm not certain which way I'd go. I wouldn't pay any more than what you've been quoted for a used or junkyard tranny with as many miles as you already have on yours. OTOH, I wouldn't pay triple that for a reman (before labor to install), either. It'll most likely be fine, and at that price that's only a very few payments on a new vehicle anyway, so cost-wise you're in a good place even if it only holds for a couple years.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Why not pull your transmission and rebuild it yourself? Cardone kits are in the $275.00 range and incidentals will be another $50.00.

What have you got to loose?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
$325? LOL!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I need advice. You kind folks know all about the tranny issue I have with my truck. I am not tech savvy much other than basic tools. My 06 needs a repaint, I think one of the previous owners used tremclad or something on the rear quarter.

I broke the hood release myself so that needs repaired, and the dome lights need replaced. The rear tail gate wont flip down, but will swing out.

The engine is great - synthetic fluids since day one and new struts and timing belt.

I love the truck and want to keep it.

Dollars into truck so far.

Bought it for 850 USD
-------------

Used tranny:800 ish USD shipped to me
Install of tranny $800
Miles on truck:217K
Miles on tranny:120K

I know on a truck I pay that for with a value of 5K, I expect some work to be needed.

Im not rich and I really love the all weather ability of this truck. I feel with this forums help I should be ok.

PICS will be in another message

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you considered trying to find out what's wrong with your transmission first? If all forward gears work, it may be something like a shift solenoid. I'm having an issue with mine right now, and have decided to throw a few parts at it before I replace the entire trans.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you considered trying to find out what's wrong with your transmission first? If all forward gears work, it may be something like a shift solenoid. I'm having an issue with mine right now, and have decided to throw a few parts at it before I replace the entire trans.
I might yes. Would a solenoid cause reverse to not work?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm having a hard time getting a lot of answers as to which solenoid does what. But yes, one of them is responsible for making it go into reverse. My symptoms are completely different than yours, but I figured I'd give it a try. They aren't expensive, and are pretty easy to get to.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm having a hard time getting a lot of answers as to which solenoid does what. But yes, one of them is responsible for making it go into reverse. My symptoms are completely different than yours, but I figured I'd give it a try. They aren't expensive, and are pretty easy to get to.
Just called the shop (transmission specialty shop) and they said that the reverse is hydraulic and not controlled by a solenoid. The recommendation is a used trans.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well then, I vote for used. As long as there is no evidence of SMOD, a low mileage used trans should get you down the road for a long time. BTW, their labor quote is really good. Including axle seals and stuff, that would easily be $1500 around me. Unfortunately, I do my own work, so I'm stuck dealing with my own problems.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well then, I vote for used. As long as there is no evidence of SMOD, a low mileage used trans should get you down the road for a long time. BTW, their labor quote is really good. Including axle seals and stuff, that would easily be $1500 around me. Unfortunately, I do my own work, so I'm stuck dealing with my own problems.
Words can say how grateful I am to your input here.
I will report everything back.

·
Registered
612 Posts
If you aren't going to do the work yourself then your numbers are good. $800 is good for a used trans and another $800 labor to replace is great. Just picking the trans up off the floor is worth $500.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 RTL with 217K Miles on the clock. Truck wont go into reverse and I am replacing the trans.

I know a rebuilt one is prob double the install cost ..

Do you Ridge experts have an opinion on which way to go?

I plan on keeping this truck for sometime.

I should mention the used trans has 120546 miles on it.
Can you get it to Central NY? If so, I can get you hooked up. I have an 06 RTL that had a new tranny put in for $1900 and has been rock solid ever since. I pulled a camper all summer long with it last year.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts