Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E White Diamond
20 Posts
I’ve used mine a few times. Went to a couple of drive-in movies and used the plug to inflate an air mattress. Powered a TV with it a few times too.

·
Registered
'17 RTL-E Rear-door mod, LED fogs, stock bed cover, LED back up lights.
172 Posts
During a power outage, I tried to run the fridge with 400W engine running, and the fridge would not run...actually made it smoke! Will not try that again...

• Wow
Reactions: zroger73

·
Administrator
22,414 Posts
Yep! While a typical refrigerator consumes less than 100 watts while running, it requires far more than 400 watts of power for a split second to start the compressor. The inverter simply can't handle it. Plus, the inverter doesn't provide true sine wave power. Inductive loads like motors and transformers and sensitive electronics don't play well with this "approximated sine wave" output and can overheat or suffer damage. I let the smoke out of a heating pad controller during a power failure while using my Ridgeline's AC outlet. It works great for battery chargers and small resistive loads like slow cookers on their lowest setting to keep food warm during transport. :)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Get an extension cord and a 120V AC tire inflator. Works great. I keep a 12V inflator under the rear seats, but it's the kind that clamps to the battery terminals. I carried it over from the Tacoma I had before the RL. With the battery terminals in a crappy location, I might ditch that and pick up another 120V inflator and an extension cord, then keep that in the trunk. I tested the one I already have, it draws about 130W, IIRC, so it should work without the engine running.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
4 Posts
I tried the whole tailgate thing as Honda advertises. Brought my Ninja blender from the kitchen and all the ingredients to make some sweet Pina Coladas to the ball game. I thought I was gonna be hot stuff making blended drinks for all, but...... after about 45 seconds of blending, the smoke came out of the Ninja. The 400 watts just wasn't enough to power the ice gobbler and the poor thing is now trash. I was cool for just a little bit though. I caught "chevy guy" taking peeks.

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E Pacific Pewter
551 Posts
I tried the whole tailgate thing as Honda advertises. Brought my Ninja blender from the kitchen and all the ingredients to make some sweet Pina Coladas to the ball game. I thought I was gonna be hot stuff making blended drinks for all, but...... after about 45 seconds of blending, the smoke came out of the Ninja. The 400 watts just wasn't enough to power the ice gobbler and the poor thing is now trash. I was cool for just a little bit though. I caught "chevy guy" taking peeks.
Sorry to hear that, but arent most of the "turbo"/"power" blenders these days (Ninja, Blendtec, Vitamix, et al) well over 400w, like in the 1000+w range?

Aside from the not pure-sine wave issue which is real consideration, it's worth looking at the wattage ratings on any appliance/device you plan on plugging into the RL's (or any other) inverter to verify you wont go over.

All of that said, I haven't really used my inverter much at all. I think I did run a tool (dewalt) battery charger while driving somewhere once.

·
Premium Member
2022 WBE in Southern Florida
1,750 Posts
During a power outage, I tried to run the fridge with 400W engine running, and the fridge would not run...actually made it smoke! Will not try that again...
I stalled a 2000W inverter under the pax seat on my 2005 G1. Ran a power cord thru the back window to the bed, and ran a small deep freezer all the way from Alaska to Alabama filled with salmon. Got some interesting feedback at the Canada/US border, but it worked great!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've always installed standalone inverters in my trucks no less than 1000 watts. Get yourself a good quality sine wave inverter and you'll find lots of uses for it. If you have a furnace transfer switch and an extension cord you can stay warm during a winter outage. Also run fridge / freezer etc.

Modified sine wave inverters will damage some stuff. Cordless tool battery chargers will more than likely not work with modified wave. Furnace boards burn up or refuse to run on them. I don't know why they bother making them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yeah just turn the truck on and run the inverter. It's wired into the charging system with appropriate gauge cable.

I did at one time consider installing a couple LiFePo4 batteries to power the inverter but the whole thing would have become too complicated and expensive. It's easier to just start the truck and let it go. Portable generator is too loud to use after dark.

·
Premium Member
2022 WBE in Southern Florida
1,750 Posts
Yeah just turn the truck on and run the inverter. It's wired into the charging system with appropriate gauge cable.

I did at one time consider installing a couple LiFePo4 batteries to power the inverter but the whole thing would have become too complicated and expensive. It's easier to just start the truck and let it go. Portable generator is too loud to use after dark.
Even the Honda 2000? Amazingly quiet and powerful.

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E Pacific Pewter
551 Posts
Have you heard a Honda EU2000i/EU2200i? :)

They're pretty darn quiet and FAR more fuel-efficient at generating 2kW of pure sine-wave AC than idling a V6 engine plus an inverter.
For the occasional longer boondock camping, or power outage, etc, we decided to get one of these newer inverter suitcase generators. I was going to go for the ~$500 clones (Predator/Champion/Westinghouse/Firman,etc), as a genuine Honda EU2200i (the one the others are copying) is like more than double - but I found a guy selling one almost new in the box - used a few times for $800, so hopped all over it.
I've only fired it up a few times to test it, but it's amazingly quiet, and reasonably portable. We will be taking it with us for camping/etc this year, and trying a few more off-grid trips than we usually do, as we now have a backup to our 100w solar / 1000w inverter.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yeah honestly I should invest in one of those. I had a family member that rented one during an outage and they were indeed really quiet. If I alternated between appliances I could get away with a small eu2200 or something.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Our old camper did not have a solar inverter, so we could use the Ridgeline to connect to the camper to provide 120V to run the coffee maker in the morning. Most everything else in the camper can operate off of 12V DC. Personally I feel that feature is more of a novelty, but has become rather commonplace amongst the "real trucks". You could ask the same question to Pilot owners; I think in the Platinum or Plutonium trim you get a 120V outlet for the 2nd row. I suspect most never have used it and the few that do are just plugging in a charger for their iPad.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts