Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow ROC memebers, I've been planning a rust repair for my rear right quarter and as any of us who have looked into such a repair, we know there is not a patch panel made for the rears, only the front fenders. You either have to purchase the whole panel if you can find it ($800-$1000+) or find one at a junk yard and cut it off, still not cheap ($500-$600).

I was looking at the truck the other day and I had this come to mind. If you look at one side of the truck (mine is a 2006) you see that the fender well sections, with the raised "fender" lip appear to be identical front and back, except, they are backwards..... meaning the part that sticks out the most on the front is the front edge and the part that sticks out the most in the back is the back edge... and then they slope in towards the middle of the truck.

My idea is, why can't I use the metal from a front right fender patch, to repair a rear left (drivers side) quarter?

I did my best to measure them and compare the differences (in the rain) and they appear to be exact in size and design (just flipped on same sides).

This is of course a worse case scenario, I havn't yet ground down the paint bubbles to see what I have but I wanted to plan ahead for a worse case scenario in case I have one, so I can be a little prepared.

Anybody have any ideas on this? I would be cutting up the front fender patch and not using the whole thing (as I know it does vary once you get away from the wheel well section).

I think this would be better than having somebody machine our unique fender out of straight sheetmetal stock.

I appreciate your input ahead of time.

Thanks

·
Registered
246 Posts
On many cars, the front fenders are near identical to the opposing rear fenders. Your plan 'should' work :)

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
........ this was going to be my comment (above). Be sure to use "opposing" front.
Also, check with your local body shop to ask 2 things: Does anyone make a rear patch? and Do they know if front patch is designed for opposing rear for Honda Ridgeline. They should know the answers to these questions.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Honda does not make patch panels.

There really is no need to over think this. Really you can make a patch panel from any thing.
Let me ask you a coupla' questions.
Do you have access to a MIG welder ? Are you any good at MIG welding ?
Do you know how to do body work ( as in shaping body filler ) ?
The Ridgeline bed side ( technically not a quarter panel, but what have you ) is fairly flat so body work on this job shouldnt be too big of a deal.

What is your desired result ? Elimination of the rust completely or just buying your self a few years ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Honda does not make patch panels.

There really is no need to over think this. Really you can make a patch panel from any thing.
Let me ask you a coupla' questions.
Do you have access to a MIG welder ? Are you any good at MIG welding ?
Do you know how to do body work ( as in shaping body filler ) ?
The Ridgeline bed side ( technically not a quarter panel, but what have you ) is fairly flat so body work on this job shouldnt be too big of a deal.

What is your desired result ? Elimination of the rust completely or just buying your self a few years ?
All good questions. What about body panel epoxy?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Body panel epoxy(Panel Bond is great to use on the wheel arch bc it has to be clamped together for 24hrs to adhere correctly. The area above the arch that's cut out would need to be welded. Overlaping the new panel behind the existing quarter panel would be great due to making the welding process easier. If you do this start by just tacking it every 5 inches or so not making the metal too hot in areas causing warping in the metal. I do autobody work for a living and use 3m panel bonding on all the quarters and bedsides etc I do, But they should also be welded in some areas. Let me know if this helps you out any.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Dan is right. All the seems should be welded, for strength and safety.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fellow ROC memebers, I've been planning a rust repair for my rear right quarter and as any of us who have looked into such a repair, we know there is not a patch panel made for the rears, only the front fenders. You either have to purchase the whole panel if you can find it ($800-$1000+) or find one at a junk yard and cut it off, still not cheap ($500-$600).

I was looking at the truck the other day and I had this come to mind. If you look at one side of the truck (mine is a 2006) you see that the fender well sections, with the raised "fender" lip appear to be identical front and back, except, they are backwards..... meaning the part that sticks out the most on the front is the front edge and the part that sticks out the most in the back is the back edge... and then they slope in towards the middle of the truck.

My idea is, why can't I use the metal from a front right fender patch, to repair a rear left (drivers side) quarter?

I did my best to measure them and compare the differences (in the rain) and they appear to be exact in size and design (just flipped on same sides).

This is of course a worse case scenario, I havn't yet ground down the paint bubbles to see what I have but I wanted to plan ahead for a worse case scenario in case I have one, so I can be a little prepared.

Anybody have any ideas on this? I would be cutting up the front fender patch and not using the whole thing (as I know it does vary once you get away from the wheel well section).

I think this would be better than having somebody machine our unique fender out of straight sheetmetal stock.

I appreciate your input ahead of time.

Thanks
I have just found this page.
(I know, it is 2020...this thread was put 5 yrs ago)

So, have you tried the front fender to attach rear fender?
Please let me know how it went.

I recently got a 2007 ridgeline, needs replacement on left-Rear.

B Rgds

Yoshi

1 - 8 of 8 Posts