Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had an issue with their RL using oil? I have an 06 with right at 108,000 miles on it. I checked the oil this morning since I'm going to be doing some towing. It was just above the min mark. I'm at 30% on the MM so over maybe 5000 miles I've lost that oil somewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Was the oil level checked prior to this, following the last oil change? Do you perform the oil changes?

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pewter pacific metallic
2,612 Posts
205,000 miles "on the clock" with no oil added between changes and the level was not low at change time. EVER

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do the oil changes and I check the level after I change it. It was ok then.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,392 Posts
No, but if it was me, I'd be checking my spark plugs, when the dreaded #4 or #5 issue, many report oil inside where the spark plug hole and on the spark plug. Good luck and keep us informed.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline EX-L Canadian
1,600 Posts
No, but if it was me, I'd be checking my spark plugs, when the dreaded #4 or #5 issue, many report oil inside where the spark plug hole and on the spark plug. Good luck and keep us informed.
Good point.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,392 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,877 Posts
My RL has always "used" more oil between changes than my Pilot. I've never had to add any, as the level stays within the L and H marks on the dipstick. My normal OCIs run in the 6000 to 7000 mile range.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks I'll check #4 and see how it looks. If that was the case wouldn't it be missing as well?

·
Registered
579 Posts
October 22, 2013
American Honda settles class-action suit over oil-burning claim....Link

RL MY 06'-08' had the J35A9 which I don't believe falls within settlement parameters.
I Believe most of these MY that were effected had to do with VCM J series.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Yep that's a different engine with the vcm. Has nothing to do with the RL.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,877 Posts
From the link you posted, "The settlement concerns all U.S. purchasers and lessees of 2008-12 Accord, 2008-13 Odyssey, 2009-13 Pilot, 2010-11 Accord Crosstour and 2012 Crosstour vehicles equipped with six-cylinder engines that have variable cylinder management."

So yeah, VCM is indeed linked to the issue. And another reason I have zero interest in VCM technology.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did check and there was nothing wrong with the #4 plug or cylinder. I've since changed the oil and will monitor closely.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
About .5/.75 ish a quart in 5 k...thats nothing to worry about. You could always step up in oil weight and see if it changes. When it doesnt even read on the dipstick then thats a cause for concern.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Our truck has used a quart of oil between changes since new. I don't consider that anything to worry about at all....especially given a lot of town driving, starts, and stops. 69K miles now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts