Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone.

Been having a hell of a time trying to find info on this. We've replaced the factory NAV unit with a Pioneer headunit but can't find any info on what wires the factory reverse camera uses. Anyone have a diagram and/or pinout for the entire AV system? Most of what i've seen so far omits the reverse camera info (or it's cryptically named something else).

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
From what I recall, it's really not the greatest, nor easiest to accomplish, I believe this is the diagram your looking for, http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/9-mobile-electronics/61410-2013-rearview-camera-schematics.html. The most recent discussion on this topic is here, start at post 25, http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/9-mobile-electronics/93145-removing-nav-2014-se-3.html

It has been done, but the most recent person who worked on this is Heli ATP, in this thread, http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/9-mobile-electronics/133233-kenwood-excelon-dnx893s-hu-install-2.html. You may want to check out what he just did and also discovered that the Kenwood camera is very similar in size to the OEM, when he ditched the "keep the OEM Camera thoughts".

YMMV

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I actually was able to find the wires needed on my own.

The NAV brain/DVD player under the Drivers seat has a small, 7 pin Grey connector. Conveniently, the brain can be left in place and it will still supply the needed 8vdc to the reverse camera via the red wire on pin 1. I simply just spliced into the White and Black wires with an RCA cable and ran that back to the headunit's Reverse Cam input and it worked. Admittedly the image quality was pretty low (well at least for 3am) but it's fine for what it's purpose is for my buddy.

Pin 1>7 (NOTE: This pinout is for the newer models with Grey Connectors. If you unit has Green connectors see this thread

Pin 1 - Red - 8vdc Camera power, supplied by NAV Brain
Pin 2 - NC
Pin 3 - NC
Pin 4 - NC
Pin 5 - White - Positive Video [Splice This to RCA Tip]
Pin 6 - Grey Shrinked Wrapped- Appears to be a shield, Not needed
Pin 7 - Black - Negative Video [Splice this to RCA Shield]​

I'll post a pic of the connector later.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,803 Posts
Nice work. I was looking at that a few weeks ago and didn't have the know how. In the end I decided the multi view Kenwood CMOS-320 camera was my best option with my HU. Glad you got it to work, I'm sure it will help someone else.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Tod unfortunately, Rogue, might be a "1 hit wonder" although he technically has 2 posts, that 2nd one was the last time he was ever on the site.

If you figure out what you need maybe you can add to this post the additional info, that you currently need for the next person.

Good Luck

·
Registered
115 Posts
Tod unfortunately, Rogue, might be a "1 hit wonder" although he technically has 2 posts, that 2nd one was the last time he was ever on the site.

If you figure out what you need maybe you can add to this post the additional info, that you currently need for the next person.

Good Luck
That's kind of what I was thinking. And I think he was doing this for a friend.

I have the + and - figured out. I'm thinking the 8 volt red may be to turn on the camera? That's the only part I'm a little iffy on.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
For OEM NAVI and Back up cam
White (Vid +), Black & Shield (Vid -) (Red (6v+) and Shield must stay connected to the factory navigation unit in order for the camera to work, and you must connect the Video (-) to both the black wire, and the shield wire to get a color image.)

no factory navi and back up cam
rearview mirror - wires in the A-pillar. Green (reverse signal), White (Vid +), Black & Shield (Vid -). Must connect Video (-) to both the black wire, and the shield wire to get a color image.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts