Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is a picture of the two items i am trying to make work together, before i solder the parts together i want to do my research....

The new part is on the left and the honda oem part is on the right. the colors match on the wires so i will assume everything matches up correctly. my main question is that it looks like there is a brake controller on the honda part and there is two grounds coming from the clip. is it ok to put all the grounds together even though two of them are coming from the same place.

All help is greatly appreciated, I'm trying to get this done ASAP as i need to tow my boat.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
A ground is a ground, is a ground. No different than if you attached them all to the frame.

·
Registered
137 Posts
there is only one ground on a vehicle. the truck battery negative is bolted to the truck. you can tie all the grounds together. as for matching colors take the time to make sure the colors and pins on the plugs match the original.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok great, so all the grounds are compatible......now on to the second thing you guys brought to my attention, is there a wiring diagram for the colors of the honda part, i have the new one to go by.

you guys are great thanks

·
Registered
2,520 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, here is the part that i am connecting too, it has both wires white wires going into it, that was my main concern because i wasn't sure electrically how it would work with the two grounds.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Your answer is posted in my previous post (above). If you open it you'll see the wiring diagram you asked for. One white wire is the ground for the 7-pin. The other is the ground for the 4-pin.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Have I missed something, can't you just trace the wires of the rusted factory one in your picture. Between the diagram Elk provided, & having the actual one which was previously installed I think you have everything you need. In my opinion I'd twist & tape it all together then connect a trailer & test. Or you can buy one of these

http://bit.ly/1cFquBp for the 4-pin or this http://amzn.to/1A8PgVk for the 7-pin

Just incase you haven't opened the link.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea im a little behind on this type of stuff, but not afraid to try it i just wanted to triple check before i start cutting and splicing.

Im going to try and match this all together, but just so i know correctly i am just matching the function of each wires together regardless of the colors.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Yea im a little behind on this type of stuff, but not afraid to try it i just wanted to triple check before i start cutting and splicing.

Im going to try and match this all together, but just so i know correctly i am just matching the function of each wires together regardless of the colors.
That's a good cross-check if you're novice to auto electrics. Also, if you're new to this, be sure not to mis-read connector pin-out diagrams by reading from the "wrong side" of the connector! That can be a common mistake for those unfamiliar.
Always great to have photos instead (or in addition).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts