Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can some one explain v-tec technology and what make it different from other engines. I've done internet searches but cant find anything.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
That is one of the best sites on the internet. I rarely can go there and just research one topic. One topic leads to another, which leads to another, etc. . .

Thanks for posting the link.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does anyone know if this is "true" VTEC with 3 lobes or is it the economy VTEC with two lobes like the k20a3 engine uses? Just curious... I was thinking maybe two considering the engine is SOHC...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Not sure about how many lobes in this engine. I had a 07 Honda Civic LX with the 1.8L. It had VTEC but it was reverse VTEC like what you are talking about. The economy version. It is where the engine is already in VTEC and turns off once you hit X-Amount of RPM then you're running the engine normally. I believe the Ridgeline's VTEC "ENGAGES" at 4500RPM therefore it is not the economy version.

Now I-VTEC in the Civic SI, woo now that's a boost in power.

I could be wrong though. IMO

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Not sure about how many lobes in this engine. I had a 07 Honda Civic LX with the 1.8L. It had VTEC but it was reverse VTEC like what you are talking about. The economy version. It is where the engine is already in VTEC and turns off once you hit X-Amount of RPM then you're running the engine normally. I believe the Ridgeline's VTEC "ENGAGES" at 4500RPM therefore it is not the economy version.

Now I-VTEC in the Civic SI, woo now that's a boost in power.

I could be wrong though. IMO
Thread is from Feb. 2005.
That's one good bump. :D
If you're looking for info on the V-Tec try this.
http://world.honda.com/automobile-technology/
Lots of good stuff there.

·
Registered
232 Posts
the NSX is an amazing vehicle and even that v6 is only a 3.2L

also that honda worldwide tech website is nice!

from my view on VTEC, you cannot adjust the RPM at which VTEC engages, on the other hand with I-VTEC since it is computer controlled, you can change the RPM at which it engages.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts