Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I'm now retired after 15 years as a firefighter-medic and 25 years in environmental health it's hard to break old habits so bare with me.

It's that time of year again to get your flu shot. Literally pain-free and cost-free for those with insurance or Medicare. I got both the new shingle vaccination and flu vaccination yesterday at my local Safeway pharmacy. Also, I got a $10 Safeway coupon which could not be used for the bottle of bourbon that I intended to get with the coupon.

A word about the shingles vaccination. A new vaccine, called Shingrix, is now available that’s more effective in preventing shingles than the old Zostavax. My memory is that this new vaccination is 90% effective and the old vaccination was 50% effective so even if you have had the old Zostavax, get the new Shingrix. The new recommendation is that everyone age 50 and older with a healthy immune system receive this vaccine, whether you’ve had shingles before or not. Unlike the older vaccine, this new stuff is inactivated. That means it does not contain a live virus. My Medicare and Part B covered 100% of the cost of both vaccinations which would have been close to $300 if not covered by insurance. The new shingles vaccination does require a followup booster within two to six months after the initial shot. Even a mild case of shingles is potentially horrible with bad residual effects. Get your vaccinations!

·
Super Moderator
6,697 Posts
Man that Bourbon would have inoculated you for anything else ;)

Just accepted an appointment to get the Flu Vaccine at work 10/10, and I'll do it unless I get an opportunity to do it sooner.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I still got the bourbon, I just couldn't use the coupon for anything other than food.
Lucky you with 'one-stop shopping' … no real liquor allowed in grocery stores here (just beer and wine in TX).

And thanks for the vaccination 'PSA' (y)

·
Super Moderator
12,105 Posts
While in the ER a few weeks ago following my motorcycle wreck, I was asked if I was up to date on my tetanus shot. Hesitantly, I answered that I'd never had one. The nurse said not to worry and that I'd be up to date before I left! :(

For some reason, I always though that a tetanus shot was administrated with a large needle in one's behind. I was pleasantly surprised that it was administered in my arm using a short, thin needle that was even less painless than a flu shot.

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For some reason, I always thought that a tetanus shot was administrated with a large needle in one's behind. I was pleasantly surprised that it was administered in my arm using a short, thin needle that was even less painless than a flu shot.
The fear of the needle is almost always worse than the actual needle. One possible exception is the post-exposure rabies immune globulin shot. The actual rabies series is the small thin needle too. You probably got the Tdap vaccine which protects you from tetanus, diphtheria, and whooping cough.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Just got my second shingles shot.
I'd STRONGLY advise everyone to look into getting this if you ever had chickenpox. If the virus re-activates you'll get shingles and it's a very painful condition.
Wife and I will be getting the flu shot next week.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Got the Flu Shot at Walgreens Pharmacy few days ago.
The pharmacist was ready to stick me the day before when she saw me.
I was just there to pick up medicine refill I told her I would be next day had elderly mother & sister waiting in car.
My arm is just a little bit sore I got the shingles vaccine last year.
I took the first shot then they said later the shot was not strong enough or something..
Had to wait several months then they called me back as I was on waiting list for the new shot.
I will take my 91yr old mother to her eye and doctor's appointments Monday.
She can get the Flu Shot at her Kaiser Health Care when we go. Monday for doctors appointments.
Seems like they are earlier the last few years with the vaccine thought it use to be about October getting it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
FTM1
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club, forum community to discuss reviews, accessories, performance, care, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing