Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the best place to get a Valet Key copy?

is that a Dealership only task?

The Lowes folks said they cant do it.

·
Registered
828 Posts
FWIW when I recently had my Honda Accessory Tailgate lock cylinder re-keyed to match my OEM fob valet key, my small-town locksmith said he could make one but it wouldn't be shaped to fit the fob- just a 'stand alone traditional' key.

Not sure if that's what you want, and I did not pursue the offer to ensure he could actually pull it off nor did I ask a price. It left me with the impression that if I furnished a 'fob blank' he could cut the key, but we didn't have that discussion either.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FWIW when I recently had my Honda Accessory Tailgate lock cylinder re-keyed to match my OEM fob valet key, my small-town locksmith said he could make one but it wouldn't be shaped to fit the fob- just a 'stand alone traditional' key.

Not sure if that's what you want, and I did not pursue the offer to ensure he could actually pull it off nor did I ask a price. It left me with the impression that if I furnished a 'fob blank' he could cut the key, but we didn't have that discussion either.

Yes, thats exactly what i need.

My wife locked her fob IN her HRV recently (yes it can be done!) and we had to pay a locksmith to come out.

I just need a key that fits her lock that i can have in the house for when she does it again. And yes, she has also managed to misplace her second fob.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Then you might try a 'real locksmith' with a better assortment of blanks and skills than the 'Big Box key station'.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts

·
Premium Member
366 Posts

@CentexG2 , did they rekey the tailgate lock before installing it? Mine is already installed and I’m wondering if rekey is an option, in place.

·
Registered
828 Posts
@CentexG2 , did they rekey the tailgate lock before installing it? Mine is already installed and I’m wondering if rekey is an option, in place.
I had it rekeyed before I installed the cylinder in the handle assembly and then installed the whole thing myself.

Certainly there's no way to re-key the cylinder with it all buttoned-up in the tailgate. The locksmith needs the bare cylinder so they can disassemble it and change the plates (whatever they're called) inside the cylinder.

I think complete removal of the handle assembly so you can pull the cylinder would be required; IIRC there's not enough room to access the screw holding the cylinder in the handle with the handle assembly in the tailgate even after you remove the tailgate outer panel (it's blocked by tailgate inner structural panel). None of the other tailgate locking mechanism needs to be R&R'd to do that, just the one rod to the lock cylinder arm and the two bolts holding the handle assembly in place.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Thanks. Yes, I didn't install this OEM lock and was just wondering if the handle and trim could remain in place and the cylinder be removed without too much effort. Honestly, I'm not certain how much I really "need" to lock it, so I'm actually looking for a spot to just store the tailgate and cover keys for the majority of the time.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Thanks. Yes, I didn't install this OEM lock and was just wondering if the handle and trim could remain in place and the cylinder be removed without too much effort. Honestly, I'm not certain how much I really "need" to lock it, so I'm actually looking for a spot to just store the tailgate and cover keys for the majority of the time.
I second what @CentexG2 said above, but just wanted to point out that I now lock mine more that I thought I would. Having it keyed to the fob key was easy for my professional locksmith (took about 15 minutes) and now I don't have to worry about another key. I also asked him whether he could make one, if I ever need a "valet" key. He said yes, they do have the blanks. Mind you, this is a very well known locksmith in Austin who works on safes and other assorted locks; this is not a big box store.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I had on made at a key shop
I wear it around my neck when surfing. I use it to lock the fob in the car while I’m out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Honda made me a spare key just to open the doors. They made it from what I think they the called a “dealer key”. Cost $20 per key. It is a thick metal key with small squarish head. I too go surfing a lot so I lock the fob in the car and keep a spare key in my wetsuit. Hope this helps.

What I want to know is how to disable the key sensor in the trunk so I can lock the fob in the trunk but still be able to unlock the trunk using the door switch. Anyone know how to do this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, new to the group. I just this week purchased a ‘19 RTL-T. I had the dealer install the tonneau cover and realized the gate had no lock, so I ordered that too. I told them I wanted all locks keyed the same, and the dealer tells me to do that will void the warranty. Does this make ANY sense to anyone? I also did not get a Valet Key which I’d like to have. Any advice and/or suggestions would be appreciated., and thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
I told them I wanted all locks keyed the same, and the dealer tells me to do that will void the warranty. Does this make ANY sense to anyone? I also did not get a Valet Key which I’d like to have. Any advice and/or suggestions would be appreciated., and thanks!
I think your dealer is talking out of the wrong orifice as far as rekeying but as stated by others you have to rekey before the lock is installed. Your dealer may not be able to perform a rekey.

Check your fob for your valet key and read your owner's guide.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think I am confused by the use of "valet key" in this thread. It was my understanding that you lock the glove box and the trunk with the key and hand the valet the fob. They can open and drive the car, but can't unlock anything. I checked the owners manual and to lock the trunk, you flip the switch in the glove box to not let the trunk open.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I haven’t seen any reference to a valet key in the manual.

I phoned the dealership today and was told the fob, with the key removed is the valet key. You can’t unlock a locked glovebox with the fob. Then I imagined what a valet tenant will do with a fob with the key removed? It can’t be hung for temporary storage while your truck is parked. I can only guess this is Honda’s attempt to save five bucks in production costs. To me it makes no sense, is down right stupid, and is insulting to buyers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When you take the key out of the fob, there is a small ring that a tag can be attached to. I would want to bet all cars with keyless start are the same way. If there is no way to start the car with a key, there is really no way to have a valet key.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think I am confused by the use of "valet key" in this thread. It was my understanding that you lock the glove box and the trunk with the key and hand the valet the fob. They can open and drive the car, but can't unlock anything. I checked the owners manual and to lock the trunk, you flip the switch in the glove box to not let the trunk open.
You're not confused. You're correct.

The term valet key is misleading in this thread. Valet fob.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes that is correct. However, the last two Honda’s we’ve owned, one used and one new, both came with an additional valet key. The plastic on the key head was gray. It would open doors, but not the glove box. That’s why I earlier called it a valet key. Fast forward to today and they seem to be called a valet fob.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Earthsurfer - sorry late to reply - but not sure I understand what you are asking - you want to lock the fob in the trunk instead of the cab, then open door and trunk with the key in your wetsuit? Just wondering why not just leave fob in the car?
Honda made me a spare key just to open the doors. They made it from what I think they the called a “dealer key”. Cost $20 per key. It is a thick metal key with small squarish head. I too go surfing a lot so I lock the fob in the car and keep a spare key in my wetsuit. Hope this helps.

What I want to know is how to disable the key sensor in the trunk so I can lock the fob in the trunk but still be able to unlock the trunk using the door switch. Anyone know how to do this?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts