Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Get some plugs from the dealer, you are not too far off replacement anyways. If it does not go away which I doubt it will. More then likely an injector issue or something else.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A lot of these Ridgelines have had issues with their fuel injectors, which can give the same codes you are seeing. Based on this, I would read the previous posts here on this subject before you start looking at other things. Depending on which state you live in, it may still be covered under warranty. Some states have an 80,000 mile warranty on emission related issues, which the fuel injectors would fall under.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Looks like I’m not that lucky. Codes came back after replacing spark plugs.

This time I found the problem. Bad head gaskets both heads.
Found a chocolate milk shake in my engine nice and toasty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,415 Posts
I believe this is the first HG issue I've heard of on the G2 Ridgeline.

·
Registered
'19 RTL-T
19 Posts
I'm not sure I'm seeing this correctly, but the spark plug gap on bottom of the three plugs looks huge...that alone could be an issue for that cylinder. The others look okay, but hard to really see.
And they all look like they need to be replaced anyway.
302, 304, 305 are all just misfire codes for cylinders 2,4,5.
If my car, I'd replace all the spark plugs and all the coils at that point. It is very likely one or both of those issues and an easy to do self repair.
If money is a concern, I'd replace all the plugs first and see what happens. And then replace individual (2,4,5) cylinder's coil packs if needed.

And I know I've read a couple of posts about bad fuel injectors on 2017 models...which could also be the cause of misfires and plugs that look like yours. I'm not up on how to test those, but I'm sure someone on this forum does however.

This might help with the basics - which also starts with replacing the spark plugs:
I concur on that one plug, that gap is huge.

·
Registered
'19 RTL-T
19 Posts
I one of those 3 spark plugs is number 6 which didn’t give a fault. So I’m assuming they will all be in the same condition.

Those gaps are huge

The OEM plugs on my 05 RL looked better after 90k miles.

I would attribute the burnt look to regular gas.

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E Rear-door mod, LED fog-lamps, bed cover, LED back up lights, LED full interior bulbs.
19 Posts
Thanks for the news on the plugs! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not sure I'm seeing this correctly, but the spark plug gap on bottom of the three plugs looks huge...that alone could be an issue for that cylinder. The others look okay, but hard to really see.
And they all look like they need to be replaced anyway.
302, 304, 305 are all just misfire codes for cylinders 2,4,5.
If my car, I'd replace all the spark plugs and all the coils at that point. It is very likely one or both of those issues and an easy to do self repair.
If money is a concern, I'd replace all the plugs first and see what happens. And then replace individual (2,4,5) cylinder's coil packs if needed.

And I know I've read a couple of posts about bad fuel injectors on 2017 models...which could also be the cause of misfires and plugs that look like yours. I'm not up on how to test those, but I'm sure someone on this forum does however.

This might help with the basics - which also starts with replacing the spark plugs:
These plugs look like the "Iridium" tipped plugs I had in my Honda watercraft. In any case, platinum or the iridium plugs should last 100K miles or more. I would also replace them just to rule out any problems with the plugs. Check out "Fuel Injector Man dot Com" is very reasonable, and will overnight back the injectors with a report on the pre and post evaluation of your injectors. If they pass the test, the cleaning machine will return them to new function. Great idea about swapping around the coils, they are probably costly and shouldn't need replaced as the probability of three failing at once is very slim. These engines properly maintained should run 300K miles or better, that's one reason I bought one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello guys,

Just checking in and like to ask if anyone had done their valve adjustment on the 2G Ridgeline.

Any suggestions?
Also does anyone have the specs for valve clearance, cylinder numbers and firing order.

Reason I’m asking is because I’m getting misfire code on 2,4,5 cylinders and random misfire codes at 75,000 miles on 2017 Ridgeline.

Number 2 cylinder is on the back bank number 2 and 4 coincide with the oil ring issue on previous VCM engines. The gen 1 did not have VCM. Check oil level and replace all plugs,clear codes and trac mileage for recoding. If it happens see AHM for assistance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello,

Thanks for replying.

Codes were p0302 p0304 p0305
And I think p0300 for random misfire.

Pulled spark plugs and don’t look good at all.
I will replace spark plugs and swap coils with the ones not giving fault codes.

These are 4-5-6 cylinders.
Any suggestions?

You can replace the plugs if you want to but their probably platinum tips and working fine. The other guy saying big gaps probably didn’t zoom in. Sure they look dirty but the tips where the spark happens looks good

21 - 34 of 34 Posts