Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Has anyone had their valves adjusted yet? I can see the interval as stated is "when they are noisy" which is fine but it's the quite valves (tight) that really hurt an engine.

Has anyone adjusted their own?

They are screw threaded tappet adjusters like found in the motorcycle industry. These typically "seat in" in a few thousand miles and need adjusted afterwards. The front cylinder seems straight forward and easy to get to but the rear may pose a few challenges.

Thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
That makes me wonder. Shouldn't they list that as part of one of their,(Honda's), scheduled maintainence interval checks? Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm sure if you did a survey on this board (full of HRC nuts) added all the miles and counted anyone who's had a valve adjustment on their prior honda's you would be hard pressed to find any. (could be wrong)

I have had many civics, Accords and even an Ody.....all had between 300k and 500k (km) when sold and all ran as strong as first day I owned them.

My Dad did however have an Accord once that had noisey valves from day one....it drove him crazy, he tried to fix it himself, had the dealer look at it under warranty......it was something he freaked about for 675,000km...........which is kinda funny and ironic considering the same mechanic bought it from him and is still driving it today.

Ok sorry.........its a Honda, add gas and have fun.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fatboy said:
That makes me wonder. Shouldn't they list that as part of one of their,(Honda's), scheduled maintainence interval checks? Just my .02 cents.
It is listed in my 2006 Honda Service history book:

Adjust valves during services A,B,1,2, or 3, only if they are noisy.

Just because people have never had them adjusted, it doesn't mean that they never needed adjusted.

Loose valves hurt performance as they do not open as high or have as much duration as properly adjusted valves BUT its the tight valves that over heat, drop compression and burn. Tight valves make no noise.

Its not law that you have your valves checked, do what makes you happy. My original question was if anyone had theirs adjusted... not if they needed to be adjusted.

thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts