Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to ask this in my post about the PCV Valve bolt breaking off, but thought I better make a new one instead.

Can anyone tell me how far to push the valve cover tube seals in? I bought the fel-pro kit, and I pushed the seals all the way in until they bottomed out. When I tried to put the valve cover on, I couldn't get the seal around each tube. They were catching on the lip and being pinched if I tried to tighten the cover down. I tried everything to push them over the tubes, but couldn't get them. My dad came over and was able to use his long thumb nail to get them around and I'm assuming the seal is good, but I can't imagine it being that difficult, especially if you're going to do the rear valve cover and going in blind. I'm worried the seal may not be good and will eventually leak into the plug tubes.

My thought is, I should have probably just flushed the tube seals to the inside lip of the opening (on the underside) and that would have given me an extra ~1/8" further to slide down on the spark plug tubes.

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,829 Posts
There’s been a few threads with this discussion, usually apart of the Valve Adjustment, and I know a member who did it in possibly the last year, but finding the right thread might take a little while. I don’t have access to my copy of the FSM, but there is possibly installation instructions in there?

My only suggestion is get the OEM Honda parts, from my experience, if you are DIY’ng the work, take time to get the best quality parts, you’re still ahead.

Example: OEM Upper & Lower radiator hoses, the thickness and stiffness is significant, I returned the aftermarket and posted about it maybe 2-3 years ago.

YMMV

· Registered
1,845 Posts
Just did this on a clients car. The fel pro seals are ok but fitment def was not fel-pro as i have experienced. It was almost a $1600 bill so they wanted to skimp on some parts. so $50 for a complete fel-pro vs $150 for honda stuff was a no brainer. I had already ripped the factory ones out before fel pro ones went in but I wish I would have just left the honda ones on. Putting valve covers back on was harder then it shouldve been. But they get pressed all the way down until they stop.

· Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Bottom them out on the valve cover. Then it never hurts to add a little bit of engine oil to the tube mating surface of the seals to help them slid on. This lubrication helps them slide over the tube without sticking. New OEM can have the same issues. Dry rubbers are never anyone's friend. ;)

This counts for any of the rubber shaft seals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.