Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. Had my 2006 ridgeline, 78000 miles to the shop for a valve adjustment,they did not manage to adjust it properly,tried two times,still ticking
  2. All clerances is ok,sombody have a suggestion?
  3. Replaced timing belt, water pump, tensioner, idlers, drive belt and all fasteners for tensioner, was changed at 71000 miles

·
Registered
88 Posts
At the risk of sounding argumentative - if the clearances are in spec, they did in fact adjust your valves properly.

My 2006 2007 Pilot (same engine) has had a loud ticking that sounds like it needs a valve adjustment since it had 30k miles on it when it joined our family. Valves are in spec and you'd think it has something wrong with it, but we're now over 250k miles and the noise is still there with no ill effects. Some of these engines are just loud.

·
Registered
88 Posts
At the risk of sounding argumentative - if the clearances are in spec, they did in fact adjust your valves properly.

My 2006 Pilot (same engine) has had a loud ticking that sounds like it needs a valve adjustment since it had 30k miles on it when it joined our family. Valves are in spec and you'd think it has something wrong with it, but we're now over 250k miles and the noise is still there with no ill effects. Some of these engines are just loud.
My Pilot is actually a 2007 FWIW, but I can't edit my previous post.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sometimes the valve adjustment can be "in spec" and the valves have worn past the "allowed" adjustment. When the adjusters are maxed out per Honda, alot of techs get nervous about adjusting them a little more. I agree, the tapping can be annoying! But you must also realize that the tapping is likely coming from excessive rocker arm clearance and the exhaust valves tend to tighten up. Waiting too long can result in the need for a valve job. And valves that are too tight don't tick- until it's too late!

There are some folks who have done it themselves after a tech said the adjustment was maxed out and tightened just a little further to alleviate the ticking. Again, there is a fine line between too tight and too loose.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I got my 07 I thought it had an exhaust leak until I got under the hood and realized it was the valves. After talking with a coupe of Honda guys I was told the valve needs to be adjusted dead cold. They recommend taking everything apart then let it sit and adjust the valves the following morning. Did that and now at 137K the engine is quiet.

Jake

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,883 Posts
When I got my 07 I thought it had an exhaust leak until I got under the hood and realized it was the valves. After talking with a coupe of Honda guys I was told the valve needs to be adjusted dead cold. They recommend taking everything apart then let it sit and adjust the valves the following morning. Did that and now at 137K the engine is quiet.

Jake
Correct. I believe the spec calls for the engine to be no warmer than 100*F.

Also, there have been a few cases of suspected piston slap. I'm not sure how to distinguish piston slap from valve ticking. Perhaps it's quite noticeable to the experienced ear. But that might be an important distinction. In any case, I always suggest a valve adjustment when doing the TB/WP service.

·
Registered
857 Posts
If I had a ~75,000-mile engine and I didn't have enough adjustment to get the valves adjusted in-spec, I'd be wondering what in the world is wearing so quickly and why.

That said, I would also not assume that a ticking-type sound was excessive valve clearance. (-:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts