Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
So if you loose that hose connector...no way to be able to trigger the valve to release oil?
Also to stop the release/flow of oil, you have to turn the conector out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,728 Posts
I can't figure out how I've survived 50 years of 100% DIY hot oil changes on countless cars, trucks, bikes, tractors, and lawn equipment. Never any sort of 'patent' oil drain valve; never burned, stripped threads, oil all over the place, etc (IOW, 'no drama'). Literally seconds to painlessly R&R a drain plug (with a ~6" socket extension).

I must be doing something wrong (?) :unsure:

IMO the single biggest advancement for DIY oil changes in those 50 years:

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,728 Posts
Ran the [Amazon] link through for a'19 Ridgeline and it tells me it doesn't fit!
If you must have one, try the manufacture's site for proper size for the application, same delivered price without enriching Amazon
(I'm not guaranteeing the fit OR the product)

Reactions: YetiXing

·
Registered
2019 RT Ridgeline ~ Luna Silver
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh. I’ve never used any of these devices. And Ive never had a problem with a drain plug. Just saw it and figured I would throw it out there for comments. 👍🏻

I haven’t done my first oil change yet. Prob just pull the drain plug. And put it back. 😂. Keep it simple!

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Deep Scarlet Pearl
15 Posts
These devices definitely make changing the oil neater and possibly cleaner. I did my initial oil change today and with very little clearance between the drain plug and exposure below the framework, the Valvomax and the Stahlbus have an advantage over the Fumoto drain valve. I believe the Stahlbus with the cap on protrudes the least of the three.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I installed the Stahlbus on my Ridgeline when I did the first oil change. Haven't done an oil change since (at 70% oil life currently), but I think it'll be easy and mess free. I have the Fumoto on other vehicles since their first oil change. Two of them are 2005's and the other is a 2009. Zero issues.

·
Premium Member
2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E Pacific Pewter Metallic
29 Posts
I have Lifetime Free Oil Changes, State Inspections and Powertrain warranty (includes engine, transmission and AWD system) so I don’t have to worry about that thankfully.

Reactions: rjburns

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just changed the oil and filter on my gen 1 yesterday. The drain plug is not the problem. I haven't figured out a way to remove the filter without getting oil pouring out over my hand. And the frame.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Deep Scarlet Pearl
15 Posts
Just changed the oil and filter on my gen 1 yesterday. The drain plug is not the problem. I haven't figured out a way to remove the filter without getting oil pouring out over my hand. And the frame.
I learned from the forums on this site about placing a plastic sandwich bag over the filter after breaking it off seat to spin-off and it worked amazingly well. Try it, you will like it too. Just take your time spinning it off.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
566 Posts
Why would you not get Fumoto valve?
In my opinion, the Fumoto valve is too exposed to being hit by road debris kicked up from the tires or items accidentally run over. I didn’t put one on until I got a skid plate installed. Many years ago, before they developed the lock for the valve, I had one open while driving on the freeway after hitting a piece of a truck tire tread.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Never had an issue with my Fumoto valve. It sits high enough for me that its protected by the oil pan. Seems like a 1:1,000,000 shot it would be hit or damaged by road debris.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have foregone all the drain valve fun the last few years and just got a MityVac 7.4 litre model. I needed one for my boat and Sea-Doo and then started using it on the VWs my wife and son owned. I always found I could truly get all the oil out with the pump and for top mounted oil filters i.e. VW and Subaru it is a true no brainer.

With the fairly easy access to the RL oil filter, this is just a simpler and cleaner way to go. My 2020 G2 and wife's 2018 Hyundai Tucson still have the original factory over torqued drain bolts and gaskets as they are 'pump out' only.

No judging but just saying...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I put one on my 2018 RTL-E. For me it works great. No mess especially when i am laying on my back under the vehicle. As others have said, it does a little longer to drain the oil. For me it is not an issue as i usually rotate the tires while the oil is draining.

My biggest issue is getting the darn oil filter off without spilling oil all over the place. :mad:

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
566 Posts
I put one on my 2018 RTL-E. For me it works great. No mess especially when i am laying on my back under the vehicle. As others have said, it does a little longer to drain the oil. For me it is not an issue as i usually rotate the tires while the oil is draining.

My biggest issue is getting the darn oil filter off without spilling oil all over the place. :mad:

A lot of suggestions in this thread.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts