Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any other Vantech G3 users out there having trouble with cross-threaded connections? Received my rack over a week ago but haven't been able to complete the installation due to the junky "sliders."

I've already used bolt cutters to remove one jimmied double-slider for the crossbars. Then I had another nut begin to seize on one of the angle brace sliders. Fortunately I was able to remove it before the damage was too great, but it appears the threads on the slider sheared off while the nut's threads were fine. Are they using two different grades of stainless? Are the nuts and slider bolts slightly different on thread spacing?

Anyway, in place of the destroyed double-slider I used two 1"x3/8" stainless carriage bolts and they work just fine. I'm tempted to scrap all of Vantech's sliders for more carriage bolts.

You'd think for the price of a Vantech rack they could at least give you some decent hardware.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well...thanks for that. Guess I'm the only one who can't do basic assembly:act064:.

Seems like it should be a pretty straightforward assembly and I gotta give Vantech credit for a well engineered rack system. It's just the damn bolts!

It's not like I'm forcing the nuts or using power tools. I just hand-thread to a point and use a ratchet or box-end wrench to snug them up. I can't believe the nylon insert in the nut is providing so much resistance that it chews up the threads.

I'd like to be fairly certain that I can disassemble the rack in the future without resorting to bolt cutters/impact wrench/hack saw.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well...thanks for that. Guess I'm the only one who can't do basic assembly:act064:.

Seems like it should be a pretty straightforward assembly and I gotta give Vantech credit for a well engineered rack system. It's just the damn bolts!

It's not like I'm forcing the nuts or using power tools. I just hand-thread to a point and use a ratchet or box-end wrench to snug them up. I can't believe the nylon insert in the nut is providing so much resistance that it chews up the threads.

I'd like to be fairly certain that I can disassemble the rack in the future without resorting to bolt cutters/impact wrench/hack saw.
wait till i get mine....:act018:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so it turned out that only a couple of bolts gave me trouble and they were on the 2-post connectors for the main crossbars. I just substituted a couple of 3/8"x1"x16 stainless carriage bolts for those and everything seems to work fine. Also, deviating a little from the instructions, it's easier to slide the bolts/sliders into the crossbars and drop them into the holes on the uprights rather than sliding the crossbars from one upright to the other.

Only one of the inserts for the angle braces gave me trouble, but I was able to clean up the threads and use it anyway. BTW you should NOT try to subtitute carriage bolts for the angle brace sliders as their "shoulder" depth won't allow you to snug the braces to the uprights.

Anyway, despite a couple of hardware snafus, the installation is a pretty simple operation and the rack is rock-solid, even without installing the two optional anchors - I might reconsider and install them if I need to haul a heavy load, but for now it's good to go.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rackwarehouse.com

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey Guys, sorry to hear about the slider issue. We are actually working on it right now. We have found the problem and it is getting fixed as we speak. Here's a picture of the problem due to the first threading.

Note: Not all sliders has problems.

If you have a problem un bolting please take picture and email us. We will send out replacements.

thanks everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! Good to know.
Despite my initial frustration there were only a couple that gave me trouble (I also discovered that it's near impossible to change the emoticon by the post's title...really, I'm not an angry guy...most of the time). Anyway, the rest of the sliders worked just fine and I'm very happy with the final result. Had several folks ask me about it too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts