• Honda factory roof rack

Votes: 3 50.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on eventually purchasing a vantech rack

I'm debating whether to also purchase the Honda roof rack, or buy the extensions for the vantech.

It looks like the factory one may go farther forward, but the Vantech would give me more width at the front of the truck. The vantech extensions are more expensive... and uglier because of the rails. I also worry about the extra wind noise.

I'll mostly be hauling long lumber and plywood occasionally. Two open water kayaks, and maybe a yakima box a couple times a year.

I probably only need the front width for the kayaks, and realistically, they probably really rest on the back two bars and the front bars are only for securing the noses. The same goes for the Yakima box, 2x4's, and probably even plywood...

Any other opinions or things I haven't thought of?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I thought about the extension, but went with roof racks instead. Here's my reasoning: I don't want the Vantech racks on my bed all the time - sliding them off is already a pain in the a$$ due to the slight inward V that the bed rail has from front to rear. Disassembling the extension would be another hassle. I like the roof rack look and also the availability of them all the time, even if the rear bed racks are off. I don't like the cantilever action of the extension either, will it hit the roof, break the supports somehow or have some other funky problem if I hit a big bump? Who knows? Here's a picture of my Ridge carrying a hang glider.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your opinion -- I also went with the factory racks with the Van Tech. I decided I didn't really need the width all the way to the front, and I preferred the roof to the cantilever, and I thought the side rails made it all look extra bulky.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts