Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RT Ridgeline ~ Luna Silver
476 Posts
4cyl Hondas vibrate far more than 6cyl's in 3cyl mode. Anyone who's had a 4 banger Accord, Civic, CRV etc can attest to this, esp at idle.

So I feel some of this is pretty overstated.
Amen brother!!! I love my 06 crv. That 2.4 4cyl VTEC doesn’t burn a drop of oil and has not given me one problem in 14 years! BUT!!! ?That thing will rattle your teeth at a stop light especially w the a/c on. It’s just allot pulling on that motor and not allot of flywheel at idle.
I just reach over and turn the a/c off. Then turn back on. Done it since day one. No fix. It would only take Honda bumping up the idle speed about 100rpm’s to fix. If you barely touch the gas. It’s smooth as glass.

This is why I insisted on a v6 on this vehicle.

But that tooth rattling crv will soon Be in the hands of my 16 year old.
Braap!!! ?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Amen brother!!! I love my 06 crv. That 2.4 4cyl VTEC doesn’t burn a drop of oil and has not given me one problem in 14 years! BUT!!! ?That thing will rattle your teeth at a stop light especially w the a/c on. It’s just allot pulling on that motor and not allot of flywheel at idle.
I just reach over and turn the a/c off. Then turn back on. Done it since day one. No fix. It would only take Honda bumping up the idle speed about 100rpm’s to fix. If you barely touch the gas. It’s smooth as glass.

This is why I insisted on a v6 on this vehicle.

But that tooth rattling crv will soon Be in the hands of my 16 year old.
Braap!!! ?
Yeah man I dont get it -- that 100rpm increase thing has always bugged the crap outta me (luckily not anymore). My Accord had same experience -- just a tiny increase in RPMs and smooth as could be at "idle".

I cant imagine that diff would've caused MPG issues so it's baffling why Honda keeps doing it.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
4cyl Hondas vibrate far more than 6cyl's in 3cyl mode. Anyone who's had a 4 banger Accord, Civic, CRV etc can attest to this, esp at idle.

So I feel some of this is pretty overstated.
Yep, I had an 02, 08 currently own a 15 CRV and they are buzzy but they go forever with just oil changes and spark plugs at 100k. This will be our last CRV, don't care for the CVT. When I drive my V6 Accord, the smoothness and refinement takes the drivetrain to another level so much so that it's tough to justify a 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yep, I had an 02, 08 currently own a 15 CRV and they are buzzy but they go forever with just oil changes and spark plugs at 100k. This will be our last CRV, don't care for the CVT. When I drive my V6 Accord, the smoothness and refinement takes the drivetrain to another level so much so that it's tough to justify a 4 cylinder.
Yeah I traded in my '13 Accord Sport with 80k on it when I got my '19 RL-BE in October. Accord never had a single engine problem, only issue it ever had was a faulty starter that was replaced under warranty.

I planned to drive it into the ground but my cargo needs became too great.

Wife has a '15 CRV and hasnt had a single issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m really contemplating installing a VCMMuzzler or just leaving it alone on my 2019 Ridgeline RTL-E. What does everyone who knows about this think about it? Pros and Cons of VCM that I know of.

Pros. Gas mileage (maybe 1 mpg better average)
Any other pros??? I don’t think so....

Cons.
vibrations - vibration in general is hard on parts.
Expensive Active Engine Mount Failure.
Oil consumption issues and/or possible sludge
Piston Ring Failure
Fouled Spark Plugs
VCM activation/deactivation can be felt at times.
Any other Cons? let us know!

I have 200 miles only on my Ridgeline as I just got it. Haven’t even felt VCM kick in once... Maybe takes a break in period before VCM starts to activate... I however felt it consistently in my 2017 Ridgeline I traded in.....

2017 Purchased with 12,000 miles. Noticed vibration and engine shutters practically day 1

2019 Purchased with 20 miles on it. Now have 200 miles. Haven’t noticed it at all!

By not installing a VCMMuzzler I wonder if I’ll start to notice these vibrations over time or if the problems related to VCM have been resolved by now.
I started with an 07 RL but i didn't learn about VCM until after I bought a 17 RL. My research and some advice from a well connected Honda type convinced me to go back to a pre 17 or defeat VCM. I installed the muzzler on my 17 RL and moved it to my 19 RL that I currently own. The kit I consists of a jumper which modifies the engine temperature signal via a resister which in turn shuts down VCM. Installation of the kit takes about 5 minutes, it comes with detailed installation instructions.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hey MtMan,
Do you leave the VCMMuzzlers on when you take it in for service? And does the dealer say anything about them?
My biggest concern would be the claim by them that I have voided the warranty?
I do all my own servicing. But if I needed to take it to a dealer to investigate a problem (CEL), I would remove the VCMmuzzler before going. Others have had their vehicle serviced with no problems. Most normal servicing do not require them to connect an HDS and scan the system and maybe detect the VCMmuzzler. Its not that difficult to install and remove.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I haven't noticed any vibration but I do need to add a quart of oil every 2-3k miles. Kinda negates the tiny increase in gas mileage.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
566 Posts
I haven't noticed any vibration but I do need to add a quart of oil every 2-3k miles. Kinda negates the tiny increase in gas mileage.
I’m curious, did you do the first oil change early or did you wait for the MM to decide on the oil change? Also, which oil do you use?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hey Guys,
Since VCM debuted in 2005 I've owned four V6 and one I4 starting with a 2005 Accord Hybrid V6. I've had no VCM issues on any of these vehicles. I knew when it kicked in on the 05 Accord because the green eco light came on. But never did I feel any shaking or vibration nor did I have motor mount failures. So Muzzler Smuzzler I think I'll pass.

·
Registered
54 Posts
When new, I couldn't feel the VCM on my 2017. But it keeps getting louder with more shake (I'm at 35,000 miles)....
That's how mine was. At about 30k I started to notice it on the highway periodically when maintaining a relatively constant throttle position. It seemed to be getting more noticeable when I crossed the 45k mark.

A month ago when i changed the oil in my 2016 Odyssey with 47k it was nearly 2 quarts low. I check the oil regularly, so this came as a big surprise. About a week after the oil change, the CEL came on with a misfire code. Dealer confirmed the three VCM cylinders needed new rings. Fortunately under warranty. (Yes, I do realize this 3.5L V6 is not the same engine as in the RL).

I ordered the VCMuzzlers for both vehicles after this unpleasantness.

Whether the muzzler will be beneficial or just a placebo, I feel better about it. I no longer notice the system engaging on the RL. My wife is the primary driver of the Ody and she's not really focused on trivial things in life like the car, so I have no idea if she's noticing any difference or not.

I monitor fuel economy on a spreadsheet and have been averaging a real 23.1 mpg with the RL for its first 47000 miles. By this time next year I'll know what kind of effect the muzzler has on my drive.

For less than $100 and about 5 minutes installation time, it's worth it to me. I'm not sure I'll remove it for regular servicing since I can't imagine anybody noticing it on there and it merely affects what temperature the computer thinks the coolant is. The stupid decorative plastic cover on the engine hides it well.

Steve

·
Registered
89 Posts
I’m really contemplating installing a VCMMuzzler or just leaving it alone on my 2019 Ridgeline RTL-E. What does everyone who knows about this think about it? Pros and Cons of VCM that I know of.

Pros. Gas mileage (maybe 1 mpg better average)
Any other pros??? I don’t think so....

Cons.
vibrations - vibration in general is hard on parts.
Expensive Active Engine Mount Failure.
Oil consumption issues and/or possible sludge
Piston Ring Failure
Fouled Spark Plugs
VCM activation/deactivation can be felt at times.
Any other Cons? let us know!

I have 200 miles only on my Ridgeline as I just got it. Haven’t even felt VCM kick in once... Maybe takes a break in period before VCM starts to activate... I however felt it consistently in my 2017 Ridgeline I traded in.....

2017 Purchased with 12,000 miles. Noticed vibration and engine shutters practically day 1

2019 Purchased with 20 miles on it. Now have 200 miles. Haven’t noticed it at all!

By not installing a VCMMuzzler I wonder if I’ll start to notice these vibrations over time or if the problems related to VCM have been resolved by now.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Purchased my 2017 off-lease RTL-E with 34K on the clock. I never noticed the rumble strip vibration from the VCM during my test drives. Since that time the vibration/rumbling has gotten progressively more noticeable (or I became progressively more sensitive to it), and it began to really bug me. TheVCM about the only thing on my RL that I absolutely hate. I followed the numerous posts on the forum about muzzling the VCM, and decided on the SVCM muzzler. After a month or 6 weeks of operation I am happy to report no codes, and the VCM completely disabled. I am very happy with the product. It really does make my RL a pleasure to drive once again.
For those interested here is a link to the website. Product comes out of Canada so it took awhile to get. He also has an eBay site. https://www.svcmcontroller.com/

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
We use VCM Tuner II in all our RL's and PP's

·
Registered
2019 RT Ridgeline ~ Luna Silver
476 Posts
I have a 19 RL... I've been paying attention, but i have yet to feel anything that feel like the VCM kicking in...?
If it is working, I cant feel it. At this point I'm assuming that they have worked the issues out.... I have no plans to muzzle unless I start feeling vibrations etc that can be tied to the VCM system.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts