Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 19 RL... I've been paying attention, but i have yet to feel anything that feel like the VCM kicking in...?
If it is working, I cant feel it. At this point I'm assuming that they have worked the issues out.... I have no plans to muzzle unless I start feeling vibrations etc that can be tied to the VCM system.
Same with me. Have 14k miles and yet to feel any buzzing or vibrations. Only at cold start, which is reasonable.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a 19 RL... I've been paying attention, but i have yet to feel anything that feel like the VCM kicking in...?
If it is working, I cant feel it. At this point I'm assuming that they have worked the issues out.... I have no plans to muzzle unless I start feeling vibrations etc that can be tied to the VCM system.
My neighbors purchased a new '19 RL which I have ridden in a number of times. He claims he cannot feel the VCM and I have not felt it when I ride with him. My '17 is another story, however - vibration like running over mild rumble strips. In reading the ROC forum, my only conclusion is that the VCM becomes increasingly noticeable as time and miles pass. So I purchased the SVCM muzzler and, problem solved. Hopefully you will never find the need, but if you do, it is nice to know there are products available to defeat this stupid Honda VCM system.

·
Registered
54 Posts

I monitor fuel economy on a spreadsheet and have been averaging a real 23.1 mpg with the RL for its first 47000 miles. By this time next year I'll know what kind of effect the muzzler has on my drive.

For less than $100 and about 5 minutes installation time, it's worth it to me. I'm not sure I'll remove it for regular servicing since I can't imagine anybody noticing it on there and it merely affects what temperature the computer thinks the coolant is. The stupid decorative plastic cover on the engine hides it well.

Steve
Update if anybody cares:

I'm about 6 months and 10258 miles into having installed the VCMuzzler on my 2017 AWD RTL. My fuel economy average for the 440.5 gallons of fuel I have burned is 23.3 mpg.

For the same 6 months interval a year earlier with 11298 miles and 496.7 gallons of gas my average fuel economy was 22.7 mpg.

I attribute the modest bump in FE post-Muzzler to less traffic on the road and easier going due to the COVID-19 lockdown and a couple of 500 mile trips I had to make recently.

My lifetime average for the truck's 58436 miles is 23.1 mpg. The onboard computer has been estimating 25.1 mpg for the same interval, but it varies quite a bit from tank to tank with it never being particularly accurate.

I would say, in general, that the VCMuzzler doesn't impact mileage much for the kind of driving I do, which is mostly a 30 mile one way commute each day that is primarily interstate highway. I generally obey speed limits, so this means mostly 65 mph on the daily commute, up to about 73 mph when on a long trip at a posted 70 mph limit. Judging by those signs on the road that tell you what your speed is, my speedometer reads pretty close to actual velocity.

On one of the recent long trips in 90 degree F weather heading up and down I-44 in Missouri, I heard the VCM system activate many times. So the Muzzler doesn't completely kill it under all circumstances although I don't ever notice it on my commute.

I tow a boat somewhat regularly, but by chance it looks like neither this year nor last did I tow more than a few hundred miles during the December to June timeframes. It appears most of my boat lugging occurs between July and November. Huh. When towing, MPG plummets to 13-16 mpg.

I always leave the truck in "ECO" mode unless I have the boat connected. I prefer the smoother, less jumpy acceleration in normal driving.

I don't monitor MPG on my Odyssey since my wife drives it and has zzero interest in paying attention to such trivial things, so no idea if muzzling the VCM has made any difference there or not. But I doubt it. On the couple long drives I've taken it still seems to get the same 27 mpg it always has. The only time I ever see the "Eco" lamp come on is after idling at a stoplight for a while and heatsoaking the engine. So I think it's doing its job. It's probably confirmation bias, but I think I notice the low speed behavior being smoother.

Although my data analysis is limited to my own experience, it doens't really look like killing half the cylinders makes much of a difference in fuel consumption. I guess a teaspool here and there multiplied over a half a million vehicles adds up though, so I guess it's worth it.

I'll continue gathering data on the truck. It is getting close to needing tires, so I wonder if anything related to that is affecting or will affect mileage.

Steve

41 - 44 of 44 Posts