Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an indication available to the driver that VCM has deactivated cylinders?

I have not been able to find any indication when my truck is in VCM mode.

I have not tried a scan tool. Is that a possibility?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Yesterday was the first time I was able to feel VCM. It was on a slight downhill at 70mph with cruise control. It was just a change in exhaust note. More a feel then a hear. It didn't bother me. Especially since my MPG was showing 28.6 on this tank of gas.

VCM is much more noticeable in my wife's 2012 Pilot. At 65 MPH it is NOTICEABLE. So I drive 70.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,166 Posts
SHORT ANSWER : NO!

No indication on dash, ECO button does nothing, No one has found a scan tool which has the correct access with the system read an on/off

Some have posted they feel a shake/vibration, some have "heard it".

There are multiple posts, try searching VCM, and you should find multiple threads with it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
No indication. Have not found a custom monitor configuration for an OBDII link yet either. I'll bet the info is on the bus, just need to know how to access it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,873 Posts
Reactions: Carsmak

·
Registered
11 Posts
I could really tell when VCM kicked in on my '17 Accord Touring. On the RL, I barely noticed on occasion. Night and day from the Accord.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah, I can really notice it on my wife's Acura RDX. There is a vibration when it running on less than 6 cylinders. I have not noticed it on the RL. I was wondering if it was actually working.

·
Administrator
15,159 Posts
According to a post by an admin of the Ridgeline Facebook group, the Scangauge II can be programmed to display VCM status.

"Finally got my ScanGauge II installed. Displaying trans fluid temp, engine coolant temp, VCM status, and fuel system loop status (open or closed).

If you order direct, they'll pre-program the custom VCM and TFT points for you. If not, it takes all of 5 minutes to do yourself."

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,792 Posts
According to a post by an admin of the Ridgeline Facebook group, the Scangauge II can be programmed to display VCM status.
Any chance the X-Gauge programming is there and can be posted here?

Not on FB, no joy via Google, I've sent a request to Scangauge via their contact page but of course they aren't open today.

Color me 'impatient' ;)

Reactions: zroger73

·
Super Moderator
2,873 Posts
Reactions: SchirmRL

·
Administrator
15,159 Posts
Units purchased locally or from other online retailers may have old software. Updates are not DIY - you must send the unit back to the factory for updates and there is a $25 charge for this service plus the cost of shipping it to the factory. Buying factory direct ensures you have the latest software.

·
Super Moderator
2,873 Posts
Wow, their buy direct site wants $170 for it. I might take a chance on Amazon with that price delta. It is Amazon proper — they probably get it direct from ScanGauge. But I agree it’s a risk.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I received a very prompt email reply from Scangauge customer service this morning:

"Good morning,

You can try this:

VCM Solenoid Valve (On/Off)
TXD: EFF1228A12
RXF: C32520000000
RXD: 3F01
MTH: 000100010000
NAME: VCM

I believe that we never heard back from the other customer who programmed it and tried it, so if you program it in, we would love some feedback on how it works out."

I've programmed mine per above and now see (at cold idle) the "OFF VCM" displayed as shown in the pic in post 10 above by @zroger73. I'll need to do some driving tests later today to see if it toggles to "ON" (and will update my findings).

I did not ask for more info on exactly what parameter this is based on, but the reply above implies it's picking-up the VCM Solenoid Valve control signal in some manner (?). Perhaps others will offer opinion / comment on the 'validity' of that concept.

For my interests I'm now displaying Transmission Fluid Temp *F, Water Temp *F, VCM status, and Volts.

Aside, I must say I'm very pleased with Scangauge customer support. I bought my SGII back in ~2009 (IIRC ~$110 on a new customer deal back then) and used it on my '05 F150. A few weeks ago, incited by a post by @Last Train about TFT monitoring, I sent it in for the $25 upgrade to latest Ver 4.53 firmware which was returned very promptly. I can't think of any other 10-year old device I've owned that could be upgraded to the most current functionality so reasonably. And now the very prompt rely to my inquiry about VCM status monitoring. Kudos to Scangauge in my book.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,166 Posts
I also know their customer service is very supportive, maybe member @OhSix would part with the Scangauge he has for some member.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I also know their customer service is very supportive, maybe member @OhSix would part with the Scangauge he has for some member.
FYI folks, the Scangauge updated to Ver 4.53 will read and 'play nice' with 2G RL's using CANLF protocol. It is my understanding that the Scangauge, and some of the available X-Gauges in particular (e.g. TFT), may not be so supportive for pre-2008 / pre-CANLF 1G RLs. Please see this page or contact Scangauge for more info if you happen to be an early 1G owner lurking this thread for some reason. ;)

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
SGII VCM Status Indication - Driving Impressions

Background

• I'm in the group that has never been able to feel any vibration I could associate with VCM activation / operation.
  • As reported in this post I thought that a low-frequency rumble I could hear but not feel might be indicating VCM operation.
  • I programmed my SGII to indicate VCM OFF / ON per this post.
Driving Impression
  • I took a ~45 mile drive on roads posted 30-65 MPH; ambient temp 95*F; wind = calm / slight breeze; light to no traffic.
  • SGII indicated VCM "ON" only when driving at a steady state or slight deceleration, on level or downhill grade (IOW never when under even the slightest engine load beyond that required to maintain speed on level road with no headwind)
  • The SGII indicated VCM "ON" more frequently than I would have thought prior to this test
  • The duration of VCM "ON" ranged from only a very few seconds to a max of ~25 seconds on a long very slight downgrade during this test drive (silent counting by thousands, I did not try to use a stopwatch while driving)
  • I used ACC for about 1/2 of the test, that seemed to have no effect on indicated VCM cycling
  • There was no correlation between the low-level rumble I have heard and VCM "ON" indication (I now accept that the low-level rumble is unrelated, likely due to road surface noise / ANC activation in response to that)
  • Even with the VCM "ON" indication to 'cue me', I cannot detect any vibration associated with VCM operation in my RL
Conclusion

Based on this admittedly limited and subjective test, lacking any other tool to verify VCM status with absolute certainty, it appears to me that the SGII VCM status indicator (whatever parameter is used to trigger it) is indeed a 'valid indicator'.

All just FYI and FWIW. :)

·
Administrator
15,159 Posts
...it appears to me that the SGII VCM status indicator (whatever parameter is used to trigger it) is indeed a 'valid indicator'.
It appears the SGII is monitoring the commanded state of the bank 1 rocker arm oil control solenoid B ("VCM Solenoid Valve") as opposed to the status of the bank 1 rocker arm oil pressure switch B. During normal operation, these two parameters will agree. If they don't, one or more DTC's will set.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts