Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,823 Posts
It appears the SGII is monitoring the commanded state of the bank 1 rocker arm oil control solenoid B ("VCM Solenoid Valve") as opposed to the status of the bank 1 rocker arm oil pressure switch B. During normal operation, these two parameters will agree. If they don't, one or more DTC's will set.
So, for the less knowledgeable, does that lead you to any conclusion regarding the 'validity' of the SGII insofar as a 'VCM Mode Indicator' in the sense some / many have sought on this forum?

·
Administrator
15,258 Posts
So, for the less knowledgeable, does that lead you to any conclusion regarding the 'validity' of the SGII insofar as a 'VCM Mode Indicator' in the sense many have sought on this forum?
I'd say it's a valid and reliable indicator for the purpose of this thread.

When it's time for 3 cylinder mode, the PCM turns on an output transistor that sends 12 volts to the bank 1 rocker arm oil control solenoid B. The bank 1 rocker arm oil pressure switch B then grounds a 12 volt output from the PCM to verify that the PCM and solenoid actually accomplished what they were supposed to do.

I would probably choose to monitor the pressure switch since that is technically a better indicator that the engine is running on 3 cylinders. But, like I say, if the solenoid and pressure switch don't agree, you'll have a MIL and knowing whether or not the engine is running in 3 cylinder mode will be the least of your worries. :)

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I'd say it's a valid and reliable indicator for the purpose of this thread.

When it's time for 3 cylinder mode, the PCM turns on an output transistor that sends 12 volts to the bank 1 rocker arm oil control solenoid B. The bank 1 rocker arm oil pressure switch B is there to verify that the PCM and solenoid actually accomplished what they were supposed to do.

I would probably choose to monitor the pressure switch since that is technically a better indicator that the engine is running on 3 cylinders. But, like I say, if the solenoid and pressure switch don't agree, you'll have a MIL and knowing whether or not the engine is running in 3 cylinder mode will be the least of your worries. :)
Well, trusting your depth of knowledge I'd say that's "purty darned cool" - kudos to SG or whoever figured this out for display of mode for vicarious interest.

Now I'll just sit back and watch to see how many of the 'VCM vibration / anti-VCM' crowd migrate to the SG and what fodder that provides for their threads. I'm sure there'll be no shortage of conclusions, both real and imagined, valid and otherwise, given a 'cue' to guide subjective perceptions both pro- and con-. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: zroger73

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Kudos to ScanGauge for finding this. It appears they're the first!

However, on the negative side - I'm not thrilled at its $140-$170 cost, and its clunky wired display. OBDC devices are the perfect candidate for bluetooth-connected smart phone apps (to view / analyze / clear DTC’s, and also display real time performance PID's), as well has having (additionally) Android Auto / Apple Car Play apps to display their real time performance PID's (after all, those are simply additional “gauges” for your vehicle). Come on - I'm an "old school" guy, but hey - get with the times! Also, I went on their website, and it says they display horsepower (kudos!), but not transmission fluid temperature (brickbats...).

I bought the Lemur Blue Driver OBDC unit last year. I find that despite its nice features and its bluetooth Apple IOS iPhone app, the lack of transmission fluid temp PID (for my towing) is a real downside for me. Also, I keep dreaming of a nice Car Play OBDC dashboard display showing HP, RPM, radiator coolant and transmission temps, etc. So right now, it appears there's no single OBDC solution offering all the above.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Also, I went on their website, and it says they display horsepower (kudos!), but not transmission fluid temperature (brickbats...).
TFT is not a 'default' gauge, but it is an X-Gauge easily programmed by the user for a G2 RL (same as is the VCM status). See this page on the website for more info, I have TFT (degrees F) reporting on my SGII at this moment along with water temp, VCM status and volts:

What I have not found, and would like to have, is programming to display G2 RL engine oil temp on the SGII.

Nope, not for everyone, personally I prefer that it's a small stand-alone display not using a smartphone. BTDT with "Torque Pro App + BT dongle", don't care for it for several reasons. YMMV, different choices on the market is a good thing IMO.

Reactions: Dogs 2C

·
Registered
67 Posts
  • There was no correlation between the low-level rumble I have heard and VCM "ON" indication (I now accept that the low-level rumble is unrelated, likely due to road surface noise / ANC activation in response to that)
Can you clarify? Did you mean you heard a rumble when VCM=ON and you heard a rumble when VCM=OFF, or did you mean there was no correlation between RUMBLE START and VCM=ON START?

Also, hasn't disconnecting the ANC device to get rid of rumble already been tested and proved to have no effect?

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Can you clarify? Did you mean you heard a rumble when VCM=ON and you heard a rumble when VCM=OFF, or did you mean there was no correlation between RUMBLE START and VCM=ON START?

Also, hasn't disconnecting the ANC device to get rid of rumble already been tested and proved to have no effect?
Please see this post for my description of the 'rumble' (speculations in that post now discounted).

During the post-SGII programming test drive discussed in this thread I never heard that rumble at all, I was driving on a route / quiet road surface I don't normally drive.

Apology for the confusion.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
How about the torque converter clutch. This was discussed way back and it's part of the VCM process. Does the scan gauge let you know if the torque converter clutch is engaging/disengaging.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
How about the torque converter clutch. This was discussed way back and it's part of the VCM process. Does the scan gauge let you know if the torque converter clutch is engaging/disengaging.
Maybe not addressed to me but everything I 'know' about SGII VCM status reporting (including best educated guesses by @zroger73) is now posted in this thread.

There's lots of interrelated discrete components and actions associated with overall VCM operation, AFAIK SGII nor anyone else makes any attempt to ID and report on each of those discrete components involved in proper VCM operation. At least not any relatively inexpensive consumer oriented device.

IMO the sole 'purpose' of this particular VCM indicator is simply to advise the operator that VCM is, to borrow @zroger73's term, "commanded" by the vehicle. Nothing more, nothing less, and that strikes me as affirmatively responsive to the OP of this thread.

In that role the SGII indicator makes the (IMO reasonable) assumption that the vehicle systems then perform as they should. It's not intended to assist directly in detailed diagnosis of VCM system problems, that's the role of DTC's and more sophisticated (expensive) comprehensive diagnostic tools.

There may be other X-Gauge capabilities related to torque converter / clutch operation, there are many listed on the SG website page I've now linked multiple times in posts above.

That's not a vicarious interest of mine, you'll need to investigate that on your own. :)

Reactions: 14v6

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,873 Posts
VCM Solenoid Valve (On/Off)
TXD: EFF1228A12
RXF: C32520000000
RXD: 3F01
MTH: 000100010000
NAME: VCM
Would you mind giving us a few pointers on how to program the above info in ScanGauge II to have it display VCM on/off?

·
Administrator
15,258 Posts
There's lots of interrelated discrete components and actions associated with overall VCM operation, AFAIK SGII nor anyone else makes any attempt to ID and report on each of those discrete components involved in proper VCM operation.
The output devices related to VCM are:
  1. Bank 1 rocker arm oil control solenoid B (energizes in 3 cylinder mode to disable valves for bank 1)
  2. Front and rear engine mounts*
  3. Torque converter clutch (briefly** unlocks to smooth transitions between 6 and 3 cylinder modes)
  4. Fuel injectors 1-3 (shut off in 3 cylinder mode)
  5. Subwoofer (produces low-frequency, out-of-phase sound that varies with engine speed)
  6. Throttle actuator (increases throttle opening in 3 cylinder mode relative to 6 cylinder mode)
  7. Ignition coils (timing is altered to smooth transitions between 6 and 3 cylinder modes)
Of these output devices, the oil control solenoid will be the most reliable indicator of operation in 3 cylinder mode.

*The engine mounts are not directly controlled by VCM. Instead, they are continuously changing firmness based on predicted vibration using information from the crankshaft and camshaft position sensors. 3 cylinder mode creates more vibration which is picked up by the crankshaft position sensor. The active control engine mounts do not have a "3 cylinder mode" - they're always working to reduce engine vibrations in all modes.

**Honda doesn't quote transition times for their system, but similar technology on other brands switches modes between 20 and 250 milliseconds. Honda's transition times should be similarly fast - virtually instantaneous by human perception.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Would you mind giving us a few pointers on how to program the above info in ScanGauge II to have it display VCM on/off?
I just follow the X-Gauge programming steps in the SGII User Manual. It's not something I do often enough to remember or have any 'tips', I have to have the instructions in-hand when I do it.

Attached for your convenience is a PDF with the RL TFT and VCM programming values and the extracted applicable pages from the SG User Manual.

Hope that helps, have fun!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
If I get a Toyota, that tool would come in handy for DIY trans fluid changes. Seems like something nice to have to tinker around with, I'll put it on the Xmas wish list. Love Centex's custom install, looks like it belongs there OE. Just got one of those Daytona floor Jacks from Harbor freight for $109, seems like very heavy duty to me.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Love Centex's custom install, looks like it belongs there OE.
Glad you like it. FYI ...
  • SGII is just held in place with sticky-back Velcro strips from Walmart
  • Whether you have the CD player or the 'cubby' there is a gap (~1/2~3/4") between the 'roof' of the place where I have the SG and the bottom of the cubby/CD player above at the far back upper corner centered on the SG where the cable plugs into the back of it
  • I used a 1/4" x 1/4" Dremel 'barrel-shaped burr bit' to carefully grind a hole in the 'roof' of that space, at the far back upper corner where the 'roof' intersects the 'back wall' of the cubby, for passage of the SGII cable; that done with everything in-situ (I did not remove any OEM panels / trim)
  • The resulting hole is not visible even with the SG removed unless you manage to get an eyeball down against the console and look up (no way it'll be noticed if you abandon using the SG / when you sell the vehicle)
  • Used a stiff wire to 'fish' the SGII cable from the back of the dash / driver's footwell pulling out through the hole I made
  • Excess cable is just stuffed back into the space behind the cubby/CD player - that and the Velcro allows me to pull the SGII out for easier button-pushing to program while it is still connected to the vehicle - just jam the cable back behind the cubby when done and stick the SG back on the Velcro.
  • Secure the cable from the backside of the console area over to the OBD port with zip ties under the steering column along the bottom of the panel - it'll be invisible, won't fall/entangle anything, leave a bit of slack at the OBD port to allow unplugging if/when needed

Reactions: Dogs 2C

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Well, 4 days into having the VCM Mode indicator I'll admit that it's prompted a fun little game / challenge ….

I have 1-mile of winding 30MPH road from a 65MPH FM road to my front gate; essentially 'flat' but with one gentle ~400ft long x ~6ft vertical dip-and-rise at a creek crossing culvert.

Noticed right off the bat that VCM ON was displayed for much, but not all, of this stretch when returning home after an errand with a warm engine, AC on. No, I never use the ECON button.

The 'game' has become carefully modulating the gas pedal to maximize VCM ON …. this morning I managed to keep it ON for 100% of the drive on that road. (y)

Yeah, I'm easily amused. :D

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
How about repeating the route with the Econ button on just to get a general idea. Of course, if you got the same results it would not tell you anything, but if the results varied, it would raise some questions. Perhaps repeating the route several times would give a good baseline.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
How about repeating the route with the Econ button on just to get a general idea. Of course, if you got the same results it would not tell you anything, but if the results varied, it would raise some questions. Perhaps repeating the route several times would give a good baseline.
We already know that use of the ECON button has no direct effect on VCM operation, but it does affect throttle response, AC operation, and (A)CC speed-maintenance tolerance under certain conditions (that based on several posts here by @zroger73 and some Honda tech papers, my trusted resources on such matters).

I suppose it might have an indirect effect on VCM ops at the margins due to the effect of those factors relating to engine loading, driver (in)ability to more precisely modulate the throttle, and (A)CC response to maintaining speed on grades.

I 'played' with ECON on/off for a short period of several days upon buying my RL. I didn't care for the modified throttle response, AC operation, and (A)CC effects. Further experimentation with that isn't an interest of mine.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,873 Posts
I just follow the X-Gauge programming steps in the SGII User Manual. It's not something I do often enough to remember or have any 'tips', I have to have the instructions in-hand when I do it.

Attached for your convenience is a PDF with the RL TFT and VCM programming values and the extracted applicable pages from the SG User Manual.

Hope that helps, have fun!
Thanks!

21 - 40 of 70 Posts