Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Hey @CentexG2 - thanks for all the info! I'm an owner of the Blue Driver ODBC tool, but I finally broke down and bought a Scan Gauge II (it just arrived tonight). I'm going to program it to display VCM Status (like you did), and also ATF temp. However, unlike you - I had also installed VCM Muzzler back at 3K miles (I now have 28K miles on my 2017 RTL-E). I also ordered a S-VCM device (intelligent VCM muzzling), which should come in a couple of weeks, to replace my VCM Muzzler.

I'm in the camp that can't tell when VCM is active (before I installed my VCM Muzzler). So before my S-VCM arrives in a couple of weeks, I'll remove my VCM Muzzler, then use the ScanGauge II VCM Status gauge to see how it feels when VCM kicks in. Then I'll install the S-VCM and verify that it in-fact does shut off VCM (which I'm confident it will). I'll post my findings to this thread.

Reactions: YetiXing

·
Registered
35 Posts
On my 2017, I have been surprised the small amount of time my VCM is activated per the Scan Gauge II indication.
It seems like a neutral throttle, coasting and also braking. The only time I can feel it is when exiting VCM to normal mode.
It might be a small slight surge when exiting VCM.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Hey @CentexG2 - thanks for all the info! I'm an owner of the Blue Driver ODBC tool, but I finally broke down and bought a Scan Gauge II (it just arrived tonight). I'm going to program it to display VCM Status (like you did), and also ATF temp. However, unlike you - I had also installed VCM Muzzler back at 3K miles (I now have 28K miles on my 2017 RTL-E). I also ordered a S-VCM device (intelligent VCM muzzling), which should come in a couple of weeks, to replace my VCM Muzzler.

I'm in the camp that can't tell when VCM is active (before I installed my VCM Muzzler). So before my S-VCM arrives in a couple of weeks, I'll remove my VCM Muzzler, then use the ScanGauge II VCM Status gauge to see how it feels when VCM kicks in. Then I'll install the S-VCM and verify that it in-fact does shut off VCM (which I'm confident it will). I'll post my findings to this thread.
I just installed my new ScanGauge II (kudos to @CentexG2 for his install tips) - see mine below. I used their existing water coolant fahrenheit temp “FWT”, and per their instructions also set up their programmed gauges “X-Gauge” for “VCM” (on/off), transmission fluid fahrenheit temp “TFT”, and torque convertor lockup “TCL” on/off [note, this one is experimental, and isn’t working yet].

Today I did an hour of mixed suburban / freeway driving in 85F temp, with my existing VCM Muzzler installed. As expected, ScanGauge showed VCM always off and FWT < 167F min required for VCM (Note: I also have a Lemur Blue Driver OBDC, and its past coolant temp readings tracked with this). Also TFT ranged from about 155-173F (the latter during a long period of idling with AC running outside our vets office - no one allowed in due to Cov19). So my conclusion is that both VCM Muzzler and ScanGauge are working as designed.

Next - in the coming days I’ll test w/o VCM Muzzler (i.e. - stock engine), and with my new S-VCM, and report back my findings here.

Edit: added note about my Lemur Blue Driver. Also, what appear to be scuffs on my ScanGauge and CD player - aren’t - they’re just light reflections my iPhone captured.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Today was my first day of driving with my ScanGauge installed, and VCM Muzzler removed (i.e. - stock engine). I drove about an hour of suburban driving errands, including picking up 750 lbs of mulch, outside temp here was 72F.

As expected, ScanGauge showed VCM coming on at times, and also true (non suppressed) coolant temps in mid 180’s F. So ScanGauge is working. VCM was only when driving at a steady pace (30+ MPH) or slowing down, either on level surfaces or downhill. VCM never came on when accelerating or going uphill, or while stopped. As @CentexG2 and @akar7 reported, VCM would turn off/on quickly, for only as long as the above conditions were met (sometimes for just seconds). And VCM also came on when hauling the 750 lbs of mulch - perhaps just a tad less often.

I mentioned before that I’m in the camp that can’t feel or hear VCM engage. After today’s test, I’m still in that camp. I’ll do more testing this weekend by myself (wifey was with me today) including some freeway driving, and listen very carefully for VCM - and report back.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
I’ve done some more driving with my ScanGauge installed and VCM Muzzler removed. Besides more of the same observations per my post #44 above, I’m also noticing the following...

- I’ve seen VCM come on as low as 22 mph

- VCM always immediately shuts off if you fully let up on the gas pedal (eg. like when approaching a stop sign, and before hitting the brake pedal - which also always shuts off VCM). I wonder if this is because our Ridgelines shut off the fuel injectors whenever you let up on the gas completely? (so no need for VCM then)

- Mounting the scan gauge in the cubby below the CD player - while looking nice - is too far down to safely glance at frequently while driving. I may put a second piece of Velcro higher up (and temporarily pull up my ScanGauge higher if I’m going to use it a lot)

- I noticed that when ScanGauge indicates VCM on, certain (like horsepower and GPH) but not all user selectable ScanGauge gauges go to zero. This may be a programming glitch I’ll open a ticket with them.

I’ll try to do some more freeway driving and report back. Sorry, we’ve been busy and haven’t been driving much

Reactions: zroger73

·
Administrator
15,258 Posts
- VCM always immediately shuts off if you fully let up on the gas pedal (eg. like when approaching a stop sign, and before hitting the brake pedal - which also always shuts off VCM). I wonder if this is because our Ridgelines shut off the fuel injectors whenever you let up on the gas completely? (so no need for VCM then)
DFCO (Deceleration Fuel Cut-Off) has been standard logic in most engines for many years.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
DFCO (Deceleration Fuel Cut-Off) has been standard logic in most engines for many years.
Yes that’s what I thought - thanks for confirming!

·
Registered
239 Posts
On my 2017, I have been surprised the small amount of time my VCM is activated per the Scan Gauge II indication.
It seems like a neutral throttle, coasting and also braking. The only time I can feel it is when exiting VCM to normal mode.
It might be a small slight surge when exiting VCM.
This... It hardly ever activates when running around town.

·
Registered
2019 RT Ridgeline ~ Luna Silver
505 Posts
I think it really depends on how you drive. I have a ScanGuage and I was surprised at ho often VCM was active while in town. Now I don’t drive hard...from what I can tell the harder you drive the less VCM will try to activate. You can almost drive a little more aggressive and prevent VCM from activating. I never felt anything while around town. I just noticed the VCM status going on and off.
The only time I ever feel anything is on a very smooth road. About 45-55 at a constant speed. I can just feel a little of the “rumble strip” that people talk about. Not much. Just a little. I suspected that what I felt was VCM, but installing the scanguage confirmed it.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
I’ve done some more testing with my ScanGauge II, with freeway driving. My posts #43-45 above had my earlier results. Below is my summary of everything I’ve observed so far on a stock engine (i.e. - no VCM defeat device).
  • I bought from ScanGauge’s store on Amazon for $139.99 on 5/16/2020. It shipped with their latest version of firmware 4.53. I installed it on my 2017 RTL-E with 28K miles.
  • I’ve tested both “suburban” and “freeway” driving (but no “city” – i.e. frequent stop and go), in summer driving (70 - 90 F) here in the midwest
  • VCM has come on as low as 22 MPH, and as high as 70 MPH (as fast as I could drive here). In general, VCM comes on when the vehicle is on level or near level ground and driving with steady throttle and is “cruising effortlessly”. I didn’t measure it, but it seemed like VCM came on a little less as speeds increased above 50 MPH (I suppose due to wind resistance)
  • VCM engages quickly, and can be on for mere seconds or minutes or longer (as long as its deployment conditions are met). Since VCM “doesn’t know” what’s ahead on the road (eg: a hill coming up), it only reacts to what it detects at the moment.
  • VCM immediately shuts off always with any of the following: (a) braking, (b) stopped, (c) lifting fully off throttle, (d) any acceleration, (e) any grade, and/or (g) anything else that gives the engine any perceptible “non-cruising” load - eg: measurable headwinds, sharp turns, uneven throttle, etc.
  • VCM also came on when hauling a light load (750 lbs of mulch) in suburban driving, perhaps just a tad less often than unloaded.
  • I’m still in the camp that can’t feel or hear when VCM comes on, except once or twice I thought I detected an almost imperceptible brief “rumble” feel – that quickly went away. I’d still say I can’t feel or hear my VCM 99% of the time. My hearing is great, and I'm a "feeling guy" LOL - so I'm not some anesthetized driver who couldn't detect anything. Your results may vary...
Anyway, that's my report. So far I'm pleased with my ScanGauge II.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Dogs - I have had the same results as you while observing with my ScanGuage II. And like you, I don't perceive when VCM kicks on or off... I just know by the MPG indicator going up to 50 MPG and the ScanGuage telling me it's on. I am amazed that it will actually kick on for only a few seconds sometimes... but like you said, it is only looking for the right conditions to be met. Good post!

Reactions: Dogs 2C

·
Registered
557 Posts
Set-up Xgauge for VCM on/off yesterday. Noticed “ON” at 31 mph (in a 30 mph speed zone🤦‍♂️)......felt/heard nothing.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Do the same cylinders drop out each time VCM turns on?......or does the system alternate/change which 3 cylinders are active?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Do the same cylinders drop out each time VCM turns on?......or does the system alternate/change which 3 cylinders are active?
From what I understand it’s the same 3 cylinders when vcm is active. But someone may correct me on this....

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Deep Scarlet Pearl
43 Posts
Interesting thread. Thinking of getting a Scanguage II. Getting one just for monitoring the TT would be reason enough for me. What is the general verdict on VCM? Is it worth what it does? Are there issues with the 2020 engine or do you feel Honda has tuned this to where it is only a plus? (I read about issues on earlier engines) This info would help me to decide on getting a VCM disabling device.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,823 Posts
What is the general verdict on VCM? ....
OMG, reams already posted on this forum and every possible opinion already well-flogged ... search is your friend, we really don't need more of that here!

(as far as VCM goes, it's implemented the same from 2017 through 2020, so all 2G info / opinion to date on that will apply)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Make sure you fix a pot of coffee ☕ before you search. 😝 Lots to read and lots of opinions..

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Deep Scarlet Pearl
43 Posts
OMG, reams already posted on this forum and every possible opinion already well-flogged ... search is your friend, we really don't need more of that here!

(as far as VCM goes, it's implemented the same from 2017 through 2020, so all 2G info / opinion to date on that will apply)
Actually a fair amount of research led me to the questions I asked. My focus concerning this is on the 2020 engines and you helped my quest for pertinent information with your answer. Do you have a VCM disabling device on your truck? Sorry if I missed that during my research.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
What is the general verdict on VCM? Is it worth what it does?
My simple opinion is since purchasing our 2019, my research has lead me to the conclusion that outside of personal preference, with the Gen2 Ridgeline the VCM causes no issues or harm and may save a few pennies on the dollar, so there is no valid reasoning to go to the trouble and expense of disabling it.

Bill

41 - 60 of 70 Posts