Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,815 Posts
Do you have a VCM disabling device on your truck?
No, and IMO it'd be really nice if this particular thread stuck strictly with the topic of only monitoring devices and factual observations relating to same, leaving the issues / opinions / questions relating to VCM operation and defeat device pro-con to the other threads.

But .... people in hell want ice water :LOL:

·
Registered
90 Posts
What is the general verdict on VCM? Is it worth what it does? Are there issues with the 2020 engine or do you feel Honda has tuned this to where it is only a plus? (I read about issues on earlier engines) This info would help me to decide on getting a VCM disabling device.
I think the general consensus is 2017+ VCM is greatly improved. Inconclusive if 2017+ VCM has contributed to any issues, although some are convinced it has. Those using SVCM and other disable devices have not reported any issues caused as a result of use. Therefore, best case is VCM disabling MAY prevent issues. Worst case is VCM disabling is a waste of $100.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Deep Scarlet Pearl
40 Posts
No, and IMO it'd be really nice if this particular thread stuck strictly with the topic of only monitoring devices and factual observations relating to same, leaving the issues / opinions / questions relating to VCM operation and defeat device pro-con to the other threads.

But .... people in hell want ice water :LOL:
It is quite apparent that you want this thread to proceed down a narrow path, but surely you understand as a new 2020 Honda V6 engine owner that a thread that fizzled out 4 years ago about the 1st gen engines would not hold much interest for me (a little, but not much). So, as I navigate through the 2nd generation Ridgeline threads on this forum and run across a conversation about engines that are more closely related to the one I just purchased, that is where my interest would lie. Also, what concerning the controversial Honda technology can really be decided on a proactive basis without discussion of current application to current engines in a current forum about current model trucks. Once again I apologize if my questions offended you in some way, but hey, I thought discussions like this are what we are here for. With that being said, if I want to discuss the pros or cons of disabling VCM, I will start another thread. That way I will not infringe upon this one. After all, I am interested in monitoring VCM activity and the possible adverse effects it may have on my brand new truck even if I decide not to do anything to control it. So, by all means, carry on and I hope it's ok if I lurk for there is some valued information being passed around.;)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Am I reading this correctly where it appears that you are on a mission to dig up evidence that the VCM system on the Gen2 Ridgeline is damaging the Ridgeline? If this is indeed the case, where you appear already convinced that the VCM will cause harm to the engine, it arouses my curiosity why you simply do not just install one of the products that disables the VCM and thus put your mind at rest?
Bill

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,815 Posts
... as a new 2020 Honda V6 engine owner that a thread that fizzled out 4 years ago about the 1st gen engines would not hold much interest ....

So, as I navigate through the 2nd generation Ridgeline threads on this forum and run across a conversation about engines that are more closely related to the one I just purchased, that is where my interest would lie.
This site has a pretty decent search engine; to wit: it's incredibly easy to search the term "VCM" and filter 'hits' to only 2G subforums, ensuring the generational scope, if not the content, is specific to your area of interest:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Am I reading this correctly where it appears that you are on a mission to dig up evidence that the VCM system on the Gen2 Ridgeline is damaging the Ridgeline? If this is indeed the case, where you appear already convinced that the VCM will cause harm to the engine, it arouses my curiosity why you simply do not just install one of the products that disables the VCM and thus put your mind at rest?
Bill
Unbelievable that you would say something like this. Look man, I am a person that just bought a new truck. I admit that in all my comprehensive research on the truck before I purchased it I completely overlooked the VCM thing. After buying, and subsequently stumbling upon this, I am merely looking for information on 2020 model engines. Not G1 engines and not 2017-19 engines. You know, the one I just paid a bunch of money for. What turned this into something weird is the fact that I was and am unaware if it has been rectified by Honda and I did not realize that some of you are very touchy on the subject. I am merely trying to decide if there is something I need to do to protect my investment. Your conspiracy theory is WAY off track.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This site has a pretty decent search engine; to wit: it's incredibly easy to search the term "VCM" and filter 'hits' to only 2G subforums, ensuring the generational scope, if not the content, is specific to your area of interest:

That is exactly what I did. I am no rookie when it comes to forums and searches. It is obvious now I joined a forum and stumbled on a subject that I was unaware of was so sensitive and dared to be inquisitive.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
OK, shall we back up a bit? Now here is your original post:
Interesting thread. Thinking of getting a Scanguage II. Getting one just for monitoring the TT would be reason enough for me. What is the general verdict on VCM? Is it worth what it does? Are there issues with the 2020 engine or do you feel Honda has tuned this to where it is only a plus? (I read about issues on earlier engines) This info would help me to decide on getting a VCM disabling device.
I believe that your questions have been responded to, especially with the following post which wraps it up pretty neatly,
I think the general consensus is 2017+ VCM is greatly improved. Inconclusive if 2017+ VCM has contributed to any issues, although some are convinced it has. Those using SVCM and other disable devices have not reported any issues caused as a result of use. Therefore, best case is VCM disabling MAY prevent issues. Worst case is VCM disabling is a waste of $100.
but obviously this is still not to your satisfaction, what are we missing?
Bill

·
Registered
40 Posts
OK, shall we back up a bit? Now here is your original post:

I believe that your questions have been responded to, especially with the following post which wraps it up pretty neatly,

but obviously this is still not to your satisfaction, what are we missing?
Bill
If you will look back through the thread you will see that I asked some questions. Seattle and others responded with answers that were appropriate to the questions asked. I was completely satisfied and I believe I sent a PM thanking him. However, I also received a reply basically telling me to not ask opinions of whether VCM is good or bad in this particular thread. I got that but merely explained that the 2G forum search left me with questions concerning the 2020 engine in particular. After explaining that, I was done with it. Then you came along with a wild conspiracy theory. I told you that you were wrong in your assumption and was through with the subject again. Now you are stating something that has nothing to back it up. Here is the only thing I am missing. Why do you think questions have not been answered to my satisfaction? As far as I'm concerned, they have been answered and I thank all who did. Now we can put this to bed if you want to. I will gladly secede you the last word. <flame suit on>
Mike

·
Administrator
15,237 Posts
Moderator's note: This thread is intended to be about a method to indicate when VCM is active. There are dozens of threads and hundreds of posts discussing the reliability, operation, experiences, and opinions on VCM that can be found by typing "VCM" in the search bar at the top of this forum. Let's keep the discussions friendly and in the appropriate threads.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts