Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

VCM Mode Indication?

Tags
vcm
28K views 79 replies 26 participants last post by  LostParkSki 
#1 ·
Is there an indication available to the driver that VCM has deactivated cylinders?

I have not been able to find any indication when my truck is in VCM mode.

I have not tried a scan tool. Is that a possibility?

#50 ·
I’ve done some more testing with my ScanGauge II, with freeway driving. My posts #43-45 above had my earlier results. Below is my summary of everything I’ve observed so far on a stock engine (i.e. - no VCM defeat device).
  • I bought from ScanGauge’s store on Amazon for $139.99 on 5/16/2020. It shipped with their latest version of firmware 4.53. I installed it on my 2017 RTL-E with 28K miles.
  • I’ve tested both “suburban” and “freeway” driving (but no “city” – i.e. frequent stop and go), in summer driving (70 - 90 F) here in the midwest
  • VCM has come on as low as 22 MPH, and as high as 70 MPH (as fast as I could drive here). In general, VCM comes on when the vehicle is on level or near level ground and driving with steady throttle and is “cruising effortlessly”. I didn’t measure it, but it seemed like VCM came on a little less as speeds increased above 50 MPH (I suppose due to wind resistance)
  • VCM engages quickly, and can be on for mere seconds or minutes or longer (as long as its deployment conditions are met). Since VCM “doesn’t know” what’s ahead on the road (eg: a hill coming up), it only reacts to what it detects at the moment.
  • VCM immediately shuts off always with any of the following: (a) braking, (b) stopped, (c) lifting fully off throttle, (d) any acceleration, (e) any grade, and/or (g) anything else that gives the engine any perceptible “non-cruising” load - eg: measurable headwinds, sharp turns, uneven throttle, etc.
  • VCM also came on when hauling a light load (750 lbs of mulch) in suburban driving, perhaps just a tad less often than unloaded.
  • I’m still in the camp that can’t feel or hear when VCM comes on, except once or twice I thought I detected an almost imperceptible brief “rumble” feel – that quickly went away. I’d still say I can’t feel or hear my VCM 99% of the time. My hearing is great, and I'm a "feeling guy" LOL - so I'm not some anesthetized driver who couldn't detect anything. Your results may vary...
Anyway, that's my report. So far I'm pleased with my ScanGauge II.

#51 ·
Dogs - I have had the same results as you while observing with my ScanGuage II. And like you, I don't perceive when VCM kicks on or off... I just know by the MPG indicator going up to 50 MPG and the ScanGuage telling me it's on. I am amazed that it will actually kick on for only a few seconds sometimes... but like you said, it is only looking for the right conditions to be met. Good post!

Reactions: Dogs 2C
#56 ·
Interesting thread. Thinking of getting a Scanguage II. Getting one just for monitoring the TT would be reason enough for me. What is the general verdict on VCM? Is it worth what it does? Are there issues with the 2020 engine or do you feel Honda has tuned this to where it is only a plus? (I read about issues on earlier engines) This info would help me to decide on getting a VCM disabling device.

#57 · (Edited)
What is the general verdict on VCM? ....
OMG, reams already posted on this forum and every possible opinion already well-flogged ... search is your friend, we really don't need more of that here!

(as far as VCM goes, it's implemented the same from 2017 through 2020, so all 2G info / opinion to date on that will apply)

#64 · (Edited)
Am I reading this correctly where it appears that you are on a mission to dig up evidence that the VCM system on the Gen2 Ridgeline is damaging the Ridgeline? If this is indeed the case, where you appear already convinced that the VCM will cause harm to the engine, it arouses my curiosity why you simply do not just install one of the products that disables the VCM and thus put your mind at rest?
Bill

#66 ·
Unbelievable that you would say something like this. Look man, I am a person that just bought a new truck. I admit that in all my comprehensive research on the truck before I purchased it I completely overlooked the VCM thing. After buying, and subsequently stumbling upon this, I am merely looking for information on 2020 model engines. Not G1 engines and not 2017-19 engines. You know, the one I just paid a bunch of money for. What turned this into something weird is the fact that I was and am unaware if it has been rectified by Honda and I did not realize that some of you are very touchy on the subject. I am merely trying to decide if there is something I need to do to protect my investment. Your conspiracy theory is WAY off track.

#70 ·
Moderator's note: This thread is intended to be about a method to indicate when VCM is active. There are dozens of threads and hundreds of posts discussing the reliability, operation, experiences, and opinions on VCM that can be found by typing "VCM" in the search bar at the top of this forum. Let's keep the discussions friendly and in the appropriate threads.

#74 ·
Thanks. I confirmed programming; found something interesting. I've got two Scangauge 2's, 4.53. The first one I have showing one X-gauge; for ATF. The second one I tried the VCM status. I checked programming and confirmed it was okay.
So, I switched, VCM to unit 1; ATF to unit 2. Now VCM showed correctly; and ATF was no data. ONLY the 1st unit showed x-gauge functions. Then I moved both x-gauge functions to the first unit; and they both showed correctly.
Perhaps something with showing x-gauge functions on the 2nd unit in a chain?
Regardless, got it to work, and liking the Scangauge a lot!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.