Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've been following the ROC for quite some time and decided to join now that I own a 2017 Ridgeline RTL-E.

Anyway, I've done massive amounts of research regarding VCM and have decided I'd like to disable it as I intend on keeping my vehicle (god willing) for a long time and reliability, performance and engine health trump the fuel savings of VCM any day. I purchased the VCMuzzler as many have and went to install it today. I'm fairly technical but right off the bat, the instructions ask that the plastic engine cover be removed for easiest access to the sensor in question. According to the instructions, there are two retaining screws that hold the engine cover on. However, it seems that the engine cover on the 2017 Ridgeline has no such fasteners. In looking at a parts schematic, it seems like the cover is held on with rubber grommets, 4 to be exact. In further reading, seems these can get lost easily when removing the engine cover and reinstallation can be tricky too. Before attempting this, I wanted to know if anyone else has removed this cover and successfully reinstalled it without losing any parts or damaging the cover. I'd like to know how to properly remove and reinstall this cover.

If you anyone has any feedback or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
A small gripe with the cover, mine was flapping around under the hood, missing three grommets . Replaced those, put it back on and two immediately fell into the engine bay abyss never to be seen again.

Simply pull the cover up and off, maybe try putting a towel at the back of it to catch any rogue grommets. To put back on, I found it easiest to locate the front right one and then press the cover back on.

Let me know how you make out, I took my cover off after losing another set of grommets, really poor design I think. I'll let the dealership mess with it at my first service, until then it sits in the corner of the garage...

Stu

·
Registered
566 Posts
Its easy just rip it right off, mine pulled off no problem. Theres little nipples that hold it in place.

Its hard to put back on and line up easily..

The best way i have found is to put your fingers under the bottom and use your finger tips to locate and line up the bottom two nipples into place, then simply push on the top ones and they will already be lined up and pop into place no problem.

The first time i did this it took me about 5 minutes of pissing around to figure out the easier method of using touch to line up the bottom 2 first.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
If you spray a small bit of liquid silicone on the cover anchors, they will slide into the grommets a lot easier. Make sure to wipe off any excess. You don't need much at all.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i use my finger tips and pick a corner, lift up, and go around the entire edge. lift up and watch for the hood release latch. then once it's off, flip it over and you'll see where all the tabs are. very rarely, a tab will remove itself from the cover and still be snapped into the vehicle. pull it out of the vehicle and snap it back into the cover so you can re-attach it correctly later. I thought about running the truck with the cover off but i think it may have an effect on cooling and maybe air intake temps. I haven't ran any tests yet :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts