Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It doesn't matter how many time you say it, kids will put their feet on everything!!:(

Yesterday, one of my children "accidentally" kicked on of the heater/cooling vents in the backseat. Foot-prints on the back of my seats are bad enough, but this time she knocked the deflector control slide right off:eek:.

It was a bit of an ordeal to re-install. I'm sure there is must be an easier way, but I did not want to disassemble the entire center console. The slide has three pieces the upper, which is a body and the decorative chrome, that fits over a horizontal deflector, and the bottom that fits onto a vertical deflector. The pieces "snap" together.

With a needle-nose I was able to fit the bottom onto the vertical deflector ( the proper deflector has plastic stops). Then I used the needle-nose to hole the vertical deflector on place. I went below the last horizontal deflector, below the plastic stop, to not interfere with the slide attachment. I then slipped a Allen wrench under the bottom piece, but above the vertical deflector. Had to do this to "raise" the bottom enough to snap on the body piece without the body "bottoming out" on the horizontal deflector it slides over (yeah, lots of fun:rolleyes:!). Then I lined up the body piece, held everything steady, and pushed until the pieces snapped together.

It's fixed, and I now know how to make the repair the next time my darling daughters "accidentally" kick it off.

P.S. I would recommend "closing" the vent prior to attempting. I do not know if the pieces could fall down the vent, but why take the chance.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
If its too small to kick most kids will put it in their mouths. Lucky they didn't eat the pieces!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kids are nearly teenagers (which brings with that another world of issues), so it is not the toddler choking on small objects issue, it is the "I have to dance at all times!" issue!!

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
The Pilot has this same issue, and it was designed for families with children.

·
Registered
264 Posts
My next door neighbor came over the first day I brought mine home and promptly spilled a glass of wine down behind the pullout armrest. That was 3 weeks ago. She is still waiting for her first ride

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Red or white?

·
Registered
50 Posts
JulesK said:
My next door neighbor came over the first day I brought mine home and promptly spilled a glass of wine down behind the pullout armrest. That was 3 weeks ago. She is still waiting for her first ride
Some people never really outgrow the sippy-cup.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
The Great Tristano said:
Some people never really outgrow the sippy-cup.
:eek: LOL!!! :eek:

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Have any pictures of this repair process? Mine came from the dealer with one of the rear slide controls "loose" and it's quite a track to the dealer if I can fix myself.

Dnucci said:
It doesn't matter how many time you say it, kids will put their feet on everything!!:(

Yesterday, one of my children "accidentally" kicked on of the heater/cooling vents in the backseat. Foot-prints on the back of my seats are bad enough, but this time she knocked the deflector control slide right off:eek:.

It was a bit of an ordeal to re-install. I'm sure there is must be an easier way, but I did not want to disassemble the entire center console. The slide has three pieces the upper, which is a body and the decorative chrome, that fits over a horizontal deflector, and the bottom that fits onto a vertical deflector. The pieces "snap" together.

With a needle-nose I was able to fit the bottom onto the vertical deflector ( the proper deflector has plastic stops). Then I used the needle-nose to hole the vertical deflector on place. I went below the last horizontal deflector, below the plastic stop, to not interfere with the slide attachment. I then slipped a Allen wrench under the bottom piece, but above the vertical deflector. Had to do this to "raise" the bottom enough to snap on the body piece without the body "bottoming out" on the horizontal deflector it slides over (yeah, lots of fun:rolleyes:!). Then I lined up the body piece, held everything steady, and pushed until the pieces snapped together.

It's fixed, and I now know how to make the repair the next time my darling daughters "accidentally" kick it off.

P.S. I would recommend "closing" the vent prior to attempting. I do not know if the pieces could fall down the vent, but why take the chance.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I fixed it without taking pictures.

The slider was completely off in mine and based on the way it is supposed to be assembled, I don't quite understand how it could be "loose"

The upper/outer part fits around one of the horiz. deflectors and the lower/inner part has a slot that one of the vert. deflector fits into.

Any movement of the slide at all should be moving the deflectors. If the slide moved horiz. without the vert. deflector moving, it is not assembled correctly.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Dnucci said:
I fixed it without taking pictures.

The slider was completely off in mine and based on the way it is supposed to be assembled, I don't quite understand how it could be "loose"

The upper/outer part fits around one of the horiz. deflectors and the lower/inner part has a slot that one of the vert. deflector fits into.

Any movement of the slide at all should be moving the deflectors. If the slide moved horiz. without the vert. deflector moving, it is not assembled correctly.
The part I believe you are calling "upper" is over the horizontal deflector, but it is not attached to the bottom. It is just sliding over the horizontal deflector and will pull completely off of the horizontal deflector. I'm assuming it just needs to be snapped back together. Is that what you used the allen wrench for? To hold the back piece to be able to snap it together?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
swampler-

That is correct. I slipped an allen wrench into the slot of the lower/inner piece, but above the vert. deflector. I forget what size, but basically the largest that fits easily into the slot of the lower/inner piece of the control slider.

The allen wrech "lifts" the lower/inner piece up enough that you can "snap" up the upper/outer piece without it bottoming out on the horiz. deflector.

I used a needle-nose pliers to hold the vert. deflector in place. Try to keep everything perdendicular, then pray, push, and pray some more. I got lucky and the pieces snapped together on the third try.

Good luck:D

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
My dogs knocked this off and improvising minds must think alike. We used needle nose and an allen wrench to pull the loose snapping piece forward too. How funny. I took pictures and will post them.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
We changed from a pair of needle nose to a small pair of vise grips when we got the allen wrench. It's purpose was to have something behind to pull forward with, the "L" hook is slipped down behind the plastic piece that you must snap onto. It's tricky because the back side of the plastic piece is not flat so it slips around a bit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Here's the restored tab.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
I had to snap it back on today. Got to find a way to keep the dogs off it. It's tricky since it swivels in so many directions.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Truckin',

Nice work. Pics look very similar to what I had done. (I really need to get a digital camera - I'm probably the only GEEK (electrical engineer) without one).

The only thing missing from the picture are the cartoon word bubbles with all the cursing and swearing!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Dnucci, and everyone.
I had this piece pop off when I was cleaning everything up with 303 Aerospace (as recommended elsewhere on the forum).

I remembered having read a thread here about it, and after reviewing everyones notes managed to get mine back together in just a few minutes. :D

1 - 20 of 88 Posts