Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been looking around at every 2nd gen Ridgeline I can see where I live in Canada. They all seem to have vented rear rotors, but people in the USA say theirs have solid rotors. Am I missing something here? I have a 2018 Pilot AWD and when I do the rear brakes, I want to upgrade to Ridgeline brakes if I can get them with vented rotors.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Just looked at the rear rotors on our ‘17 Rigi.....they are solid. A pic of those vented rears would help.

·
Registered
239 Posts
For what reason are there so many differences in the Canada and USA versions of a small-run model? It just makes no sense, and it irritates me every time I find out my “top-of-the-line” US model is missing more features I happily would have paid for.

·
Administrator
20,293 Posts
I’ve been looking around at every 2nd gen Ridgeline I can see where I live in Canada. They all seem to have vented rear rotors, but people in the USA say theirs have solid rotors. Am I missing something here? I have a 2018 Pilot AWD and when I do the rear brakes, I want to upgrade to Ridgeline brakes if I can get them with vented rotors.
According to Honda, all Canadian Ridgelines have solid rear disc brakes.

From the Canadian press release:

"The ventilated front discs are 12.6 inches in diameter and use 2-piston calipers, while the solid rear discs are 13.0 inches in diameter and have single-piston calipers."

According to Canadian and US parts lists, all 2016-current Pilots, Ridgelines, and Passports use the same solid rear brake rotor part number (42510-TG7-A00).

Every US and Canadian source from press releases to specifications lists to parts lists says all Ridgelines have solid rear disc brakes.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
For what reason are there so many differences in the Canada and USA versions of a small-run model? It just makes no sense, and it irritates me every time I find out my “top-of-the-line” US model is missing more features I happily would have paid for.
Suits and ties, sitting around big conference room tables, scheming ways to boink there fellow man. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Masonboswell

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I’ll ask the guys with the rear vented rotors where they got them from. It must be a retrofit.
Ask about the calipers / brackets, too .... calipers for solid rotors aren't wide enough for edge-vented rotors (the swap from solid to edge-vented invariably involves more than just rotors due to the greatly increased thickness - one reason why the swap from solid un-drilled to solid-drilled is the much more common 'upgrade').

The other reason is it's really rare to 'need' or benefit from edge-vented rear rotors .... forward weight transfer and all that puts the vast majority of burden (and heat) in heavy braking on the front. That's why the vast majority of vehicles don't have 'em (cost, weight, etc with no benefit).

Of course you already know all that.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,693 Posts
As mentioned above, the rear ones are solid and they are 11mm thick. Cant vent a 11mm thick rotors, in the traditional style and keep its integrity.
The ones who said they have vented may have been confused about the drilled ones. There are slotted, drilled, and slotted+drilled options available for the rears on G2s.

·
Registered
188 Posts
What is weird too is that the Canadian version represents equal or better value for Canadians accounting for conversion, and that’s not even including the extras we get. Usually vehicles sell for higher prices here after factoring in conversion, often just because they can.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts