Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Very detailed information regarding the ridgeline

4K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  RkyMntHigh 
#1 · (Edited)
Did you know:

"The ultimate strength of the tailgate is so great it is strong enough to actually park two Ridgelines up next to each other end-to-end and park another Ridgeline on the horizontal surface of both tailgates. "

More here:
http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=388353

A very good post. Info is as legit as they come. It's a long post, but a great great read. Anyone that's interested in this truck, send them this information.

-S

#8 ·
Kodiak strikes again. Thanks for posting.

#9 ·
Very, very well done! Thank you Shingles and thank you Kodiak! I think that that post deserves a special place on this site if Kodiak gives his blessing and T Mac and/or Zero facilitates the placement. There are many visitors and members of this site that do not yet have their Ridgeline that would like to read about what we experience every day - until they drive theirs home. It is so very well written that people doing pre-purchase research on trucks would get a better understanding of the Ridgeline by reading this post than by reading almost anything else.

#10 ·
Good stuff. I've saved the text to a file I'll give to a potential buyer someday when I sell the truck, hopefully it will still be relevant in 10 years :rolleyes:

I always save the sticker, brochure, maintenance records and everything else. All the people I've sold my used cars too really appreciate it and helps show I care for my cars.

#11 ·
I made a suggestion that I think Honda needs to put information like this out there. Almost ALL of that information he posted are not common knowledge. I mean for example, I wasn't aware that the Ridgeline always launched in AWD mode and removed power from the rear when it can. Normally you would think that it would add power to the rear when it needs to. Subtle but big difference. I bet most owners didn't know that.

It's also interesting that they pointed out that with 5000lbs in tow, the Ridgeline will out accelerate the Avalanche. Again, not common knowledge.

I suggest a special car magazine supplement for example would be great.

#14 ·
I'm sorry..............no way can the tailgate hold half of another ridgeline. This tailgate can hold about 300 lbs. any more then that and your pressing your luck. If you really think it can...............then get one of your friends, and if the combined weight between the two of you is greater then lets say 325lbs, then both of you stand on the tailgate at the same time and take a picture. Without tailgate cables (you see these on big heavy duty trucks) that tailgate will buckle. I'm not telling you to try this, but I bet it's true. I've seen a Nissan tailgate fail like this.

Good Luck

#15 · (Edited)
The tailgate supports 300lb of dynamic load, as in it's bouncing up and down. It can support a lot higher static load. Also, it is said that it will support the weight of the ridgeline between two tailgates.

edit: the latch on the passanger side is also load bearing, it's not just the cable on the left that's support the weight on the tailgate.

BTW, I DID put more than 300lbs on the tailgate the other day, not on purpose but by accident. It wasn't till after wards that I thought about it that I realized it's more than 300lbs that was on the tailgate.

Also a hint - Kodiak is in the know. ;-)

#17 ·
chicago said:
I'm sorry..............no way can the tailgate hold half of another ridgeline. This tailgate can hold about 300 lbs. any more then that and your pressing your luck. If you really think it can...............then get one of your friends, and if the combined weight between the two of you is greater then lets say 325lbs, then both of you stand on the tailgate at the same time and take a picture. Without tailgate cables (you see these on big heavy duty trucks) that tailgate will buckle. I'm not telling you to try this, but I bet it's true. I've seen a Nissan tailgate fail like this.

Good Luck
Actually, I'm sure the writer of the post speaks from personal experience on that one so I'll take his word for it. Why must there always be a doubting Thomas? :rolleyes:

#18 ·
OMG!!! When I bought my Ridgeline in March, I was shopping for the Element. When I first saw my truck and test drove it after a snow storm, I knew this was the ONE. I had the strongest instinct about this ONE. I never heard anything about the RL; I did not see the commercial in the Super Bowl! After buying this truck, my wife has been growing more jealous of it. But at the same time she understands and lets me get my way with the RL!! But after reading this forum for months now, and then reading this article, I feel better about myself and my instinct more than any other time in my life! And thats the way it is....... :) :) :D

#20 · (Edited)
chicago said:
Good Luck
I've had over 600lbs on my tailgate, 3 guys over 200lbs each sitting on it. It is rated for 300 dynamic lbs so with 300 lbs bouncing on the tailgate you could get 2.5 g's on some bumps which would make it a 750lb load. It's common engineering pratice to have a saftey factor of 3x or more so at that the load could be 2,250 lbs which is about half a Ridgeline thus supporting Kodiak's claim. Same goes for the tie-down cleats which are rated for 350lbs each. The lead engineer was quoted in an interview that 4 of them could lift the whole 4,500lb truck so that's a safety factor of about 3.2, again supporting Kodiak's info.

#21 ·
vertrkr said:
Good stuff. I've saved the text to a file I'll give to a potential buyer someday when I sell the truck, hopefully it will still be relevant in 10 years :rolleyes:

I always save the sticker, brochure, maintenance records and everything else. All the people I've sold my used cars too really appreciate it and helps show I care for my cars.
it will be relevant vertrkr, looks like ridgeline has set the new standard. others will be "catching" up for years. buyer will see that you had the "first" that started it all. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.