Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a lot of vehicles and really enjoyed my Accords.
I've had this truck for a long time and will be selling it very soon.
In the last year I had to replace/repair

Radiator
Rear stabilizer links
All exhaust shields
O2 sensors
passenger front control arm
Central locking system
window regulators
seatbelt buckles
power steering pump
And a lot of other things I can't remember.
Just did the timing belt at 95k and it was a nightmare.
had three bolts break
Had to ruin the motor mount to get it out. The main bolt wouldn't thread out.
There is still a lot more engine noise than I'm comfortable with.
Also the motor has a ticking noise when cold.

I've been working on cars for 20 years and I'm a very skilled mechanic.
Never had a worse timing belt change experience.

I'm not holding my breath the 2017 one will be any better.
My 4Runner is 5 years older, has twice the miles and runs and drives twice as good as this POS.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pewter pacific metallic
2,610 Posts
Too bad.......just the opposite experience as I come up to 200,000 on my RTL. I also had to say it's the best vehicle I have owned and driven in almost 3 million miles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am closing in on 200,000 miles also and jut had my timing belt replaced. I have had zero problems.

Silver 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL

·
Registered
25 Posts
It has been terrible for me as well. Sold my first 2008 RTL after 135,000 miles and have just purchased another 2008 RTL and it has 118,000 on it. I will probably have to get rid of it in about 80,000 or so.
:act024:

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
You're doing the right thing. Actually you should've sold it before all the repairs.

When mine starts having issues like yours it's gone. I'm at 220K miles right now. Should start falling apart any second.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So frustrating. I usually have great luck with cars. This one has been a nightmare. I appreciate the functionality. But it drives like a tank. Wife refuses to drive it and I initially bought it for her. :act060::act060::act060::act060::act060:
I'm glad some people are having good luck with them.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Everyone who has responded (except me) has an 06-08 model. Maybe those of us with newer models have yet to see the same problems.
I am very pleased with the overall reliability. With some minor glitches the initial quality was not that bad either, if not up to the assembly tolerances of the early models built in Canada.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Sort of bought into the same situation... but even sinking a couple thousand into the RL, get a fully working truck that runs well and barely depreciates at this age still give it good CTO IMHO, and to make matters better am comfortable treating the RL without kid gloves (just think about scratching my inlaws new Colorado !!). My dogs favorite place on the planet... Can only imagine what kind of $$ would sink into a Ford or Chevy +100k miles... or in my case 165k.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The only common denominator I see is the guy working on it. Hmm...:act024:

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Can only imagine what kind of $$ would sink into a Ford or Chevy +100k miles... or in my case 165k.
I would like to see a comparison between Ford, Chevy and Honda and how long the original owners keep their cars and trucks.

Reactions: Rafferty

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
OP: You're kidding yourself if you think there's not a 4Runner mirror-image of you out there somewhere bitching about his POS 4Runner, just as you are, and for the same reason: He got unlucky.
If you are as good a mechanic as you say you are, and drove the truck reasonably, and did all of the maintenance you claim to have: Then you were just unlucky, simple as that. You can see from the collective experiences shared here that your story is not typical. Sorry for your woes, but you'd be just as likely to get a trouble free RL (G1 or G2) as you would to switch to something different. Good Luck with your next vehicle, whatever it might be.

And FYI.... a lot of the previous replies from others empathizing OP's woes were friendly sarcasm (for those who may not have picked up on that).

:)

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pewter pacific metallic
2,610 Posts
The last 3, of the vehicles I have owned, all went over 200,000 miles with reasonable maintenance. Two of those I drove to just over 350,000 miles. No transmissions replaced nor engines. They all belonged to the GM family. Oh, I purchased all 3 new.

I'm still here to say this Ridge is a better vehicle, pretty much in any way you want to measure it.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
But it drives like a tank. Wife refuses to drive it and I initially bought it for her.
??? Perhaps there is some suspension or steering repair yet to do. I find that it handles far better than the 3rd gen 4Runner that it replaced. The few other people who have driven it were very happy with how it drove. "Better than most cars" was one response, and I agree. It smartly goes where I tell it.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts