Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased my 2017 in August 2017. Since that time. Passenger seat had to be removed for Air Bag sensor fix. Battery replaced after 1 year. Back up camera wiring harness broke ( no camera). ALL fuel injectors were replaced at 53k miles. NOW I got a D4 transmission warning. Trans probably need fixed or replaced at 64k. It's been nothing but a headache. Anyone else have these things happen?

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition
178 Posts
Have you looked into enacting lemon law? I’m not super familiar with the ins and outs but basically if a car has one problem after another in the first little bit of ownership you can try to utilize legislation known as lemon law to get the vehicle off your hands.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I discussed that very thing today. I'm pretty sure lemon laws have a time limits. The other is that they have been able to repair the issues with little cost to me. But this transmission thing has me worried. I'm just over the 60k warranty period.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
If you had an interior leak, that would be the full boat of known defects. It's hit or miss with these Ridgelines I'd say it's unrealistic to expect long term reliability past the 3/36. Possible solutions are to lease, get an extended warranty or create a reserve. Hopefully, it's not the transmission if so, I'd consider dumping it.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
I've changed the trans
fluid twice so far. Kinda wish I didn't.
Why do you say that? Do you think that contributed to your issue?
it’s hard to know what to believe, some say to swap/renew fluids regularly to prevent issues. While other says doing a full flush is a bad idea.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why do you say that? Do you think that contributed to your issue?
it’s hard to know what to believe, some say to swap/renew fluids regularly to prevent issues. While other says doing a full flush is a bad idea.
That's just it...Who knows. But if I need Honda Corp to cover cost, I can show that I followed THEIR recommended maintenance plan. NEVER buy a first year model!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
You say you have replaced the trans fluid twice - was that at the dealer or on your own? Was there a reason to other than recommended maintenance?

Reason I ask is that if you have a documented history at the dealer of prior complaints and service (i.e. rough shifts etc) it may be easier to get it covered.

Since about 7000 miles I have had odd hesitations, chatter, noises from my transmission. Unfortunately the dealer cannot reproduce them and after a trans flush they got better. But I made sure that I was documented in the system that is shared with Honda corp.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You say you have replaced the trans fluid twice - was that at the dealer or on your own? Was there a reason to other than recommended maintenance?

Reason I ask is that if you have a documented history at the dealer of prior complaints and service (i.e. rough shifts etc) it may be easier to get it covered.

Since about 7000 miles I have had odd hesitations, chatter, noises from my transmission. Unfortunately the dealer cannot reproduce them and after a trans flush they got better. But I made sure that I was documented in the system that is shared with Honda corp.
Yep, these were dealer recommended services. completed at the dealer. Speaking of noises....that's another complaint. The engine makes noise all the time. Mostly at slower speeds, I can hear them. Clink, click, etc when accelerating slightly. Dealer gave me a loaner, 2017 Pilot. Same engine same noise as Ridgeline.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
The engine makes noise all the time. Mostly at slower speeds, I can hear them. Clink, click, etc when accelerating slightly. Dealer gave me a loaner, 2017 Pilot. Same engine same noise as Ridgeline.
Are you saying that this "noise" has been getting worse, or has it been there since you purchased your Ridgeline?

Bill

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Bill. When I first purchase the vehicle I probably overlooked it. this was the nicest vehicle I've ever owned so I was kind of hyped. I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say, first time leather seats lol. But after a year I was noticing all kinds of things. Especially that engine noise which I took to the dealership to be looked at. They had the vehicle for three or four days and drove it and confirm that they hear the noise but they deemed it as common amongst the Ridgeline. But I'm driving a 17 pilot right now and the noises from the engine are not near as prominent as my Ridgeline.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Man this is just a complete shot in the dark from reading all the online posts. What I hear you describing is the "active motor mounts" they give the illusions of transmission and/or engine problems some "solve" with that jerry rig VVT cancel thingy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well. Honda is replacing the transmission now. It's f-ing frustrating. As far as I know, Honda's covering the cost. But now what? Keep it, dump it? I'll lose about $2000 on the trade cause of high miles. If it weren't for my local dealer being so incredibly good, I'd lose my shit.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Well. Honda is replacing the transmission now. It's f-ing frustrating. As far as I know, Honda's covering the cost. But now what? Keep it, dump it? I'll lose about $2000 on the trade cause of high miles. If it weren't for my local dealer being so incredibly good, I'd lose my shit.
Bad transmission then a swap...definitely a dump. No issues so far on my 2017 other than injectors. But if my tranny starts acting up I’ll definitely dump it.

·
Administrator
14,523 Posts

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
So your injectors needed replacing too??
Yep, had my injectors go bad, seems like a common occurrence for the early models. Lets hope it was due to the machining debris and not a bad design.
So far other than the injectors I hadn’t had any issues. I’m coming up on my transmission and transfer case fluid replacement, I’ll do it myself. Hopefully once I hit 60k like you I still don’t have any transmission issues.

·
Super Moderator
5,203 Posts
Injector failure has been common. You can read more about it here.

Yours is the 7th transmission failure I've seen reported on this forum including my 2019's at 14,000 miles.

Water leaks, keyless start system failures, alarms that go off unexpectedly, and broken rearview camera harnesses are other trouble spots that have been reported by multiple owners.
If you were stating those statistics over on the Subaru Ascent forum, they would say those numbers are under .01%, so there is no problem. There is no such thing as a real problem over on the Subaru forum.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts