Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek:Engine seems to be vibrating and lacking power. This occurs in both drive and reverse. The check engine light did eventually begin blinking and then after turning the engine off and back on the the vtm-4 light also came on in addition to the blinking check engine light. The temperature of the engine seems to be normal. I have not had the codes checked out yet, but I thought I would see if anyone else had any similar issues or knows what this could be.:confused:

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
when that happened to mine about 70,000 miles ago, it was a bad tank of gas that fouled the fuel system, and fuel injectors. I hope for your pocketbooks sake this isnt the same issue, it wasnt a cheap fix.

·
Banned
67 Posts
:eek:Engine seems to be vibrating and lacking power. This occurs in both drive and reverse. The check engine light did eventually begin blinking and then after turning the engine off and back on the the vtm-4 light also came on in addition to the blinking check engine light. The temperature of the engine seems to be normal. I have not had the codes checked out yet, but I thought I would see if anyone else had any similar issues or knows what this could be.:confused:

Thanks
I don't know but wouldn't run it until it is checked out. Autozone can scan it for free but I would have a professional look at it. From your description it could be so many things. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts

Thanks
In the future a flashing MIL means stop and get it serviced immediately.;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update, You were exactly right the 6th cylinder was misfiring. They said that driving on it would not cause any harm. They said it would just drive like crap on 5 cylinders and get worse gas mileage. Anyhow my warranty expired earlier this year, but I did buy an extended warranty so they are going to fix the coil typical $185 repair but with my deductable it will be $100 out of pocket for me.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Update, You were exactly right the 6th cylinder was misfiring. They said that driving on it would not cause any harm. They said it would just drive like crap on 5 cylinders and get worse gas mileage. Anyhow my warranty expired earlier this year, but I did buy an extended warranty so they are going to fix the coil typical $185 repair but with my deductable it will be $100 out of pocket for me.
Who told you that a service writer or a technician ? When you misfire you run the risk of dumping raw fuel into the catalytic converters

·
Administrator
20,333 Posts
They said that driving on it would not cause any harm. They said it would just drive like crap on 5 cylinders and get worse gas mileage. Anyhow my warranty expired earlier this year, but I did buy an extended warranty so they are going to fix the coil typical $185 repair but with my deductable it will be $100 out of pocket for me.
Fail. Without spark, the fuel being dumped into the cylinder will wash the oil off the cylinder walls resulting in dramatically accelerated wear. The unburned fuel will end up burning in the catalytic converter. If you continued to drive under that circumstance, you WILL end up scoring the cylinder wall, destroying the piston rings, and melting the catalytic converter at minimum. Suddenly, that $185 repair becomes a $5,000 repair (likely at your expense - warranty or not) for a new engine block and catalytic converter.

Some vehicles will disable fuel injection on the cylinder(s) where misfires are detected to reduce damage potential. I do not know if Honda's engine management systems implement this strategy or not - if so, I've never come across any technical information on it or tested it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just a little over an hour ago I picked up my 06 Ridgeline that was having its timing belt replaced(93000k). I told the mechanics that the engine was running a little rough and it was getting high(50 to 70MPH)speed stumbling/misfire. They said they would look into it. Part of their timing belt service includes changing the plugs. I got a call telling me that #2 Spark plug well had an oil seal leak and that over time the oil bath that the boot was immersed in was the reason. I saw the coil and the plug and both were fubared. The oil had leached up into the coil. This has been intermittent over the last few months and I attributed it to bad gas. I also purchased the extended 100000 mile warranty and am glad I did. Should have taken it to the dealer 2 months ago. Live and learn.

·
Registered
91 Posts
when that happened to mine about 70,000 miles ago, it was a bad tank of gas that fouled the fuel system, and fuel injectors. I hope for your pocketbooks sake this isnt the same issue, it wasnt a cheap fix.
You have a 180,ooo miles on your Ridge? That is great if I am reading that correctly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a similar problem on mine. Misfire that I thought was bad gas, but that was not the case. Pulled the plugs and coils to check them out and #4 had a blown tube seal and had coated the plug and coil in oil. Replaced all the tube seals on that bank and will replace the coil as the bottom rubber boot is torn.

Seal kit cost $22 and the Coil $45. It runs a lot better now that its fixed.

Apparently the tube seals are a common thing to go wrong on honda's. If you are having a misfire pull the plugs and see if you have a leak. A civic owner helped me and he was experienced at the replacement having done it several times on his car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine is having the same problem; it started a couple of days ago. My husband and I are going to have it checked out. Thankfully I saw these posts and can tell my mechanic that it could be a possible misfire.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I saw a Ridgeline on Ebay yesterday that has 183k on the clock. His buy it now price was $11k. :eek: The starting bid was $10k. IMO that is a little high.
I thought the price was right, you think I should ask for less?

:D

Seriously though, I think that price is way high, but maybe its an modded out RTL.... ;)

I figure mine is worth maybe $7,000, if that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Who told you that a service writer or a technician ? When you misfire you run the risk of dumping raw fuel into the catalytic converters
I had 2 different service technicians from different garages tell me that it was fine to drive to the shop rather than tow it:act060:. All is well still. knock on wood. approaching 30k

1 - 17 of 17 Posts