Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My RL's been doing this awhile, had the tires rotated and balanced and aligned not long ago and it's the same. Not being all that mechanically inclined I was wondering if anyone may have a wild guess what could be doing this. It also feels like it wants to pull right at that time as well.

It's not shaking the vehicle apart but its uncomfortable.

Anyone else ever have something similar? The searches I did on here looks more related to lifts.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Your best bet is to have it checked out by an expert.

Not knowing anything else, and especially considering your comment on the pulling to the side, I'd suggest you check these possibilities:

1) Brakes... when were they last serviced? You may just need to have calipers cleaned & lubricated.
2) Front axles.... ususally there are other tell-tale indications (noises) when these go bad, but I'd check 'em out anyway.
3) Front wheel bearing... less likely, but worth the check.
4) Suspension parts like shocks or even ball joint (probably least likely).

Best to have a good brake/suspension mechanic drive it to see if he can "feel" the problem's source.

Again, w/o knowing more, I'd rule out suspension/brake issues before assuming transmission problems.... but you really need to let an expert take a look at it. It's hard to describe or diagnose something as non-specific as vibrations with words.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Internet guess.......the wheel balance is not right causing the vibration. Especially if the vibration is speed sensitive like worse at 75 vs 65 or pluses or phases in and out. Some tire issues take a real technician with skills and the right equipment to resolve.

Pulling right, alignment not done right, bad tire. Assuming basics like inflation are set correctly. Same technician skills are needed for alignment, there is huge difference between a maintenace alignment vs an alignment to solve a pulling problem.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,582 Posts
Strange vibrations at speed could be a tire issue. I had a brand new set of Michelin LTX tires that simply would not balance and was noticeable at 70 mph and up. Around town, it was not an issue. DT replaced the set of tires... even after 5k miles on them. It took a while to finally give up on fixing the problem.

That being said, the way you worded your post makes me doubt it's a tire issue.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Strange vibrations at speed could be a tire issue. I had a brand new set of Michelin LTX tires that simply would not balance and was noticeable at 70 mph and up. Around town, it was not an issue. DT replaced the set of tires... even after 5k miles on them. It took a while to finally give up on fixing the problem.

That being said, the way you worded your post makes me doubt it's a tire issue.
Speed just wonderin if you had the tires spun (taken off, air let out, spun on the rim, rebalanced and put back on). Tires can do strange things. And what you pay for them now I am not afraid to get things right if issues came up after a new install (Thanks Discount Tire) which I've had that issue or any with them. The larger the tire the worse things get. I know that the large part has nothing to do with you issue.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,582 Posts
I let DT handle the details. I know they road force balanced them to no effect. When nothing would balance them, they said just pick out whatever tire you want and they'd replace the Michelins. I considered several but in the end stayed with the LTX and made sure they had the same date code. I don't know if that made a difference or not but I've been happy with this set.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hunter 9700 is the road force balancer of choice.........but again it takes a very very skilled operator to use that balancer correctly in the higher levels. Many times the newer tire store guys are not trained.

vibration issues dealing with road force can be simple to isolate .......some RFV can be tough and the 9700 has several screens that pin point second and third harmonic issues if you know where to look.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts