Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice a shaking in the steering wheel and front end when I go from 60MPH and higher.
I replaced the wheels and tires from Tire Direct, which came pre balanced. I did a front end replacement of the lower control arms, the CV axles and boots, did the brake pads on all four wheels, had the alignment done and they checked the balance on the tires. What else am I missing here?Lug nuts and axle nuts are tightened to spec. Regularly rotate tires.

I keep all my fluids changed as recommended. This vehicle has 180K miles on it and has given me good service with a minimum amount of issues.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
What brand tires did you buy? I was a tech for two decades. Even with new tires, I've had to do "road-force" balancing at times to completely eliminate vibration. Find a tire shop that offers road-force balancing to make certain that it isn't a balance issue. If the road force balancing detects an issue, I'd contact Tires Direct and have them pay for it. Actually, I would call them prior to taking it in and explain your problem.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,259 Posts
Did the shaking start before or after the new wheels / tires??
If after then I think you have issues with your new tire / wheel package. If before and you are still having issues . . .Maybe tie rods?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,584 Posts
Did the shaking start after the axles were replaced? Aftermarket axles have been problematic for the Ridgeline. Use OEM axles.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Excellent replies regarding vibration, both road force and rear drive shaft. How many miles on your Ridge? Road force check will reveal a lot more than simple balance. The rear drive shaft can cause the vibration. One way to eliminate that variable is to take out the drive shaft, remove, and then go take the truck for a drive. If vibration is still there, it's not the rear drive shaft. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What brand tires did you buy? I was a tech for two decades. Even with new tires, I've had to do "road-force" balancing at times to completely eliminate vibration. Find a tire shop that offers road-force balancing to make certain that it isn't a balance issue. If the road force balancing detects an issue, I'd contact Tires Direct and have them pay for it. Actually, I would call them prior to taking it in and explain your problem.

the tires were from Tire Rack here is what I bought
245/65R-17 CONTINENTAL TERRAINCONTACT H/T SL
17X8 SPORT TERRAIN TK9 BLK MACH

From Rock Auto
CARDONE​
664225 (66-4225)CV Half Shaft Assembly
MEVOTECH CMS601015 {#51350SJCA02, 51350SJCA03, MS601015} (Daily Driver) Supreme; Complete Arm w/ Ball Joint Info
Front Right Lower

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,584 Posts
I put a brand new set of Michelin LTX M/S tires on my Ridge several years ago. They would not balance. Not even RoadForce could balance them. After 5000 miles, Discount Tire replaced them with another set of LTX M/S tires and those were fine. You could also just have some bad tires.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
More then likely your axle(s). My passenger cardone also 664225 vibrates kinda bad. I just deal with it for now until I put a factory honda one in. The slip joint where the axle meets the intermediate shaft has too much play in it and that is where the vibration comes from. My second warranty one does it a little less then the first one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More then likely your axle(s). My passenger cardone also 664225 vibrates kinda bad. I just deal with it for now until I put a factory honda one in. The slip joint where the axle meets the intermediate shaft has too much play in it and that is where the vibration comes from. My second warranty one does it a little less then the first one.
I think youre right STUV , I did both driver and passenger side cv axles with cardones. does one particular side give more trouble? how do i tell which side is the cause?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok but just to be sure before I blow 500 on new axles how to tell if its truly the axles doing this? I think most likely it is but...

·
Registered
646 Posts
Got an idea. When you get up to greater than 60MPH, shift the transmission into neutral. When you do, does the vibration go away?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Ok I hope it doesnt but I will try it.
On my 06 Ridge it did not, I was trying to figure out if the rear Drive Shaft/Prop Shaft was causing the part of my front end vibration and/or shimmy.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I think youre right STUV , I did both driver and passenger side cv axles with cardones. does one particular side give more trouble? how do i tell which side is the cause?
I feel the vibration more in the passenger floorboard then I do in the drivers floorboard. You could just do the passenger side and see, then do the drivers little bit after. I did both with cardones as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I feel the vibration more in the passenger floorboard then I do in the drivers floorboard. You could just do the passenger side and see, then do the drivers little bit after. I did both with cardones as well.
Ok, i wonder if RockAuto will take them Cardones back. I got them in Dec. I will try the passenger side with OEM as you suggested and let you folks know my results. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Ok, i wonder if RockAuto will take them Cardones back. I got them in Dec. I will try the passenger side with OEM as you suggested and let you folks know my results. Thanks.
I think you are past the return policy so you might have to contact them for out right return. Might be more of a pain then they are worth to return..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts