Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have about 3800 miles on my 2019 RTL-E , I have been complaining to the dealership about a vibration/shimmy in the wheel at various speeds above 50, I have bought it in about 5 times and have been told that the tires were out of balance , granted this dealership has a Hunter Roadforce balancer and has claimed to check it every time and everything is fine. I bought the vehicle in yesterday as the shimmy is gradually getting worse and again was told that the tires were out of balance, roadforce numbers were within limits. Driving the vehicle today , whatever they did made it worse and I insisted to go back with the same tech from yesterday and watch him do the roadforce and balance, well when he did the roadforce ALL 4 tires failed and could not be balanced. The tech which was the same from yesterday just stated that everything was fine yesterday, yeah right , he never checked the roadforce. The service manager then stated that Honda does not warranty tires and approval would have to be received or that I could go to an authorized Firestone dealer , not acceptable after dealing with this for the majority of ownership time dealing with this. They finally agreed to make themselves look good that they would replace all the tires and hope for reimbursment and oh yeah, remember the survey . They asked me to leave the shop when the replacement tires were being installed even though the tire balancer was at the garage door as I guess they did not want me to "supervise " the tech on the correct way to use the balancer and blamed OSHA rules. Well , to make a long story short, the truck drives great now , what is the chances that all 4 tires would be bad . BTW I did try to take it to Discount tire as they have the Hunter Roadforce and they had no clue either on the operation, it is a shame that the techs at any tire places only use it for balancing after corporate or ownership spends invests in the Roadforce and do not want to spend the time properly balancing a tire.

·
Super Moderator
4,776 Posts
I am glad your problem was finally resolved. Those tires must have come from the bottom of the pile when your truck was built. It's nice to hear the dealership stepped up and did the right thing.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Hard to explain how all four tires were unbalanceable? Yes. . .perhaps there was something wrong with Firestone's manufacturing on the day /moment that your tires were produced. . . Perhaps the Tech really didn't know enough about the machine and the tires were not truly unbalanceable?. . .Another thought is that maybe the truck sat somewhere for a few month with very low air pressure in the tires?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The other thing that can happen is that the tires can shift the belts internally in the "carcus" and when they do tada out of balance. I've had that happen. Hence new tires.

Steve

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
All four "junk" Goodyear tires. Yes. And not just on one car example have i seen it. Sometimes i think they just make tires too cheaply. Not all brands as many here mention such good luck with older Michelins (as I've had success with as well getting 99,000mi out of a set on a 89 Chevy Celebrity Eurosport wagon in 3 years).

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Maybe the dealer swapped all the tires and wheels from another Ridgeline to close this issue for their customer. Without further investigation and testing of the tires and wheels, we are just guessing.

·
Registered
391 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,613 Posts
My 2008 was built in May and I bought it in Sept. The OEM tires were excellent. When I needed new tires, I bought another set of the OEM Michelin LTX MS tires and could not get them to balance. The tire shop replaced all 4 tires after about 5000 miles of trying to get them to balance..

And I had that happen again when I tried some Michelin tires of a different style and ended up back with LTX MS tires again when we couldn't get those new style tires to balance.

The G1 RL has been somewhat picky about tire balance in my experience. Or at least my RL has been picky.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My truck sat at the dealership for 8 months after it was built. I have had no problems with tire balance or vibrations.
A car can sit at a dealers lot for a long time,that isnt the issue.If the car was moved form time to time there will be no issues however if it sits Keyword SITS without being moved and if the tire pressure is low it Will flatten the tires.Ive seen it many times when i sold cars at a toyota store.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe the dealer swapped all the tires and wheels from another Ridgeline to close this issue for their customer. Without further investigation and testing of the tires and wheels, we are just guessing.
The dealer did not swap the tires from another Ridgeline, they rolled out 4 new tires from the parts department, at first they were waiting for approval from Honda since they stated that Honda does not warranty tires, well anyway , the truck is smooth and vibration free . The majority of places that have the Hunter Roadforce have no clue how to use it , 3 tires came back flagged in red and one in yellow, could they have spun them, maybe , I guess the tech as in any other tire place did not want to deal with it or had no idea what to do, I had to push the idea of the roadforce numbers because again like most places they just want to balance and that is it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This can happen if the truck has been sitting long periods without being moved.Was your truck a early 2019 that has been at the dealer for several months? If so the tires have flat spots and will make all four tires bad. https://itstillruns.com/causes-flat-spots-tires-7382788.html
Indeed flat-spots may happen. Mine RTL-E came to me right from the factory. I still have some noticeable vibration from tires. Most likely my tires were never balanced at factory. :(

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just picked up my new 2019 RTL-E, vibrates like crazy compared to my 17 with 40k miles. Taking to dealer Monday, hope its just balancing. It also has bad rattle in dash, seems like quality down from 2017, IDK

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've had a flutter in the front steering for 2200 miles of ownership that I thought were flat spots that would go away with time. My 2019 Sport sat on the lot for 6-7 months. I also notice what seems to me as an excessive number of weights on 2 of the 4 wheels. I'm not sure how much weight is considered excessive before tires should be replaced or even if there is such a rule.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts