Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had success getting a VIOFO dash cam to work in their G2? What fuses can be tapped for the switched accessory wire, and which for the always on battery+ wire. The CAN bus system seems to interfere with what one would normally use for this purpose. I am currently using seat heater for ACC and seat back motor for b+. It isn’t working properly turning the cam on and off and going into parking mode.

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts
I ran VIOFO A119S dashcams in my 2017 and 2019 Ridgelines. I tucked the power cable above the headliner, down the A-pillar, along the scuff plate, and under the seat and plugged it into one of the USB charging ports on the rear of the center console. Worked great and no modifications were required.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ran VIOFO A119S dashcams in my 2017 and 2019 Ridgelines. I tucked the power cable above the headliner, down the A-pillar, along the scuff plate, and under the seat and plugged it into one of the USB charging ports on the rear of the center console. Worked great and no modifications were required.
Sorry, I should have made it clearer. The cam is a 129 Duo. The problem is with parking mode that needs both switched and un-switched power to operate propin parking mode

·
Super Moderator
5,335 Posts
I am sure others will chime in. I had a 129 Duo installed in my Subaru Outback and used the "always on" fuse tap from the sunroof. That may not be the case in the Ridgeline. However, I did have problems with battery drain in "parking mode", so I removed the unit temporarily. The Outback had TSB's for battery drain even without an accessory connected. I got that issue corrected, and will be re-installing the VIOFO Duo shortly.

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
753 Posts
What fuses can be tapped for the switched accessory wire.
There are a couple of DashCam threads that may help. But I did mine originally on my 2017 BE with a fuse tap and fuse #15 (always on), but the non-used positions are switched.
  • A Fuse tap (gives you two fuses from one position)
  • "Always On" Fuse #15 [Seat Recline]. With the idea that if "something" happens to that position, it is only temporarily affecting the seat recline position. Much better than chancing something else. That position is rated at 20amps so the wiring gauge is a bit better suited.
  • "Switched on/off" When I did my testing at that time, I think I tested that any of the empty available spots on the same panel as above offers Accessory Switched Power.
  • Get yourself an 11.9v or higher battery protector and wire it to your always on #15 fuse tap so that you don't deplete your battery too far. These will cut the power when your battery depletes to 11.9v (typically at full charge they are ideally around 12.5volt). The protectors don't cost much and you may want to spend a bit more and get a programmable one, in case 11.9v is still cycling your battery too low and you find you need a jump start after a couple of months of use or so. In the very beginning I bought an 11.6v protector and 11.6v is a bit too low for our batteries, so cycling my battery that low several times over a year I had to have a couple of jumps and after a year I had to buy another battery... I upgraded the battery of course, the OEM is rather light duty. And I jumped up to an 11.9volt protector and it's been ok. It just shuts the camera off a tad earlier. So maybe keep a portable jump start around :) ). Cameras are getting better at operating current draw, so hopefully that issue gets better.
  • If you choose to not use a battery protector make sure you have a setting on your camera to shut off completely within 24hrs.
  • Maybe get a USB ammeter (amp/current tester at around $10 on amazon) to measure the load of your camera while operating, that will tell you how it affects your battery. Ideally you will "probably" want .3amps or less of operating power if you want a "safe" 24hrs of parking mode (conservatively speaking). Also use it to measure the peak amperage when it starts up, this will help you determine the size of fuse you will want to use.
Hope it helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts