Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else having trouble with their voice command. The system seems to be having a hard time recognizing my commands. Is it me or does this feature just suck!!! I use the cheat sheet and say everything just like it says too. :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
Kamaaina said:
Anyone else having trouble with their voice command. The system seems to be having a hard time recognizing my commands. Is it me or does this feature just suck!!! I use the cheat sheet and say everything just like it says too. :mad:
I had a little trouble with it. I have found that you have to have the windows up, and speak in a normal tone of voice but enounceate (pardon the spelling if it's wrong) your words for example...Climate control off sound out the F on the end or it will do something other than what you want it to do.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I just speak very clearly and at a normal cadence (not too slow, not too fast). I have found that if there is other 'noise' such as rain or a rough road, the voice control will hesitate or ask me to repeat the command.

Overall, it works very well for me.

L

·
0 Posts
The only time ivaN doesn't understand what I'm saying is when I say something like, "Ya dumb s*&t!! I didn't want to bar hopping, I wanted to shopping!!" :D
Just kiddin'. I have had a few instances when I had to repeat myself but I found that if I talk like a robot he does just fine.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I gave up on it a long time ago. Between the please repeats, wrong action happening and the kids screaming in the back, it's much faster to stick my right arm out and "manually" make adjustments. It's a novelty to me.

The best is when you ask it what time it is and it take 30 seconds to get back to you!

·
Registered
536 Posts
It's not very good.

There are three problems
1) not good at understanding me - due to either poor software or a slow CPU
2) There are long pauses between my command and a response
3) There is no logic - if the radio is ON, chances are I'm not trying to turn the radio ON again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't think it was all my fault. I use voice recognition when I call my credit union: no problems. I think Honda really needs to work on this. I wonder how well the system works in the Acura's? :confused:

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
There is an earlier thread on this subject: http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1853&page=2&pp=10

From an earlier post:
Was in a shopping center parking lot, pressed the voice comand button and was about to check the time when Polly Ponytail pulled out in front of me. Jumped on the brakes which caused some papers, a book and a small package to slide off the seat onto the floor. Said a naughty word - the nav screen changed to dual display.

After further research it was determined that there indeed is a voice comand function to request a SPLIT screen.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Some phrases work well for me, others do not, ie: "Climate control fully automatic" does indeed promptly go to fully automatic, with one hitch...it changes the temp to 72 degrees! The CD phrases work well, but on the other hand "Display Off" worked one time and has not since that time.
My Grandfather had a voice recognition system way back when...
my grandmother!
Oh well...technology...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I haven't had any problems, in fact my favorite thing to do with a new passenger in the truck is to say "Passenger Temperture 85" (or 59 depending on if it is warm or cool out). Hasn't failed me yet. I don't think it is necessarily the voice system that is the problem but the ambient noises that it has to contend with at the same time. Cars are not very quiet. When you call your bank or other place, you are likely on a phone in a rather quiet location in comparison. The microphone is geared to pick up just your voice anyway and it is fairly close to your mouth. While the navigational system has to contend with all the noises as the microphone is roof mounted. I find if I talk in a clear voice and carefully pronounce things I have no problems, although the one time I messed that up is how I figured out I could torture my passengers ;).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts