Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can't figure out what the answer is to this. My voice recognition/commands has been working fine until a few days ago. Now when I push the voice button, I don't get a beep or response thru the speakers with the usual prompting. Now it pops up on the nav screen with the following: "This smartphone not supported". First, didn't think I needed a phone for navigation. Second, the phone functions work fine, like calling/receiving and reading my text msg to me.

If I don't have a phone on and push the voice button, it will respond with "Smartphone not connected". Now all I'm doing is pushing the voice button. All this worked fine for 4 months.

So if I have a phone in the car, it won't work and if I don't it won't work. The nav is not dependent on a phone, right?

WTH? Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
753 Posts
There is important context to your phrasing. You say you didn't realize that you need a smartphone for Navigation. Remember there are two ways to use Voice Commands.
1) Short press - Honda (meaning what you think, no phone required)
2) Long press - Phone (Carplay or Android Auto... you do need a phone of course)

If it is replying as if you are needing a phone, I would maybe say... be quicker on the tap?

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
753 Posts
^^^^^^This.....
Heh, this must be Honda Customer Service above :)

1) If he says: "If I don't have a phone on..."
2) and He says: "The nav is not dependent on a phone, right?"
3) One is going to have to conclude that he DOESN'T WANT THE PHONE.

Now all of that aside, the way to use the system with no phone is: A quick press.

If unpairing fixes a problem where THE USAGE (a quick button press) IS NOT SUPPOSED TO USE THE PHONE AT ALL. Honda has to give up on electronics and stick with gas weed whackers.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is important context to your phrasing. You say you didn't realize that you need a smartphone for Navigation. Remember there are two ways to use Voice Commands.
1) Short press - Honda (meaning what you think, no phone required)
2) Long press - Phone (Carplay or Android Auto... you do need a phone of course)

If it is replying as if you are needing a phone, I would maybe say... be quicker on the tap?
That was it. Didn't know about long/short press thing at all, and I've read the dang manual 10 times. :nerd:
I don't know why I was suddenly holding the button down for longer times........maybe I need to "re-pair" myself to my truck....lol.

Anyway, thanks Nervey.........I owe you a cold one.....or two. :act035:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts