Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow RL owners....
On frequent occasion the VSA will activate (light flashes and acceleration restricted) when I go over a speed bump. I cannot duplicate this or cause it to happen on demand, so learning what the "triggers" are is quite difficult. it also made searching the forum for like problems more difficult.

I am hoping that someone has seen this before so I can at least try to rule things out.

Thanks!!

Adam

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,592 Posts
How fast are you going over speed bumps when this happens?

·
Registered
625 Posts
It's normal. If you hit the bump "too hard" when it comes off the bump the body will compress the suspension, then rebound. If you get your foot into it on the rebound (you know, the natural point where you want to to accelerate after the speed bump), the VSA will kick in.

The fix for the problem ranges from easy to very, very difficult: The driver needs to get the lead out of their foot :) I now pause for an extra second or two after a speed bump to let the suspension oscillations damp out before I start accelerating.

Roak

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hello fellow RL owners....
On frequent occasion the VSA will activate (light flashes and acceleration restricted) when I go over a speed bump. I cannot duplicate this or cause it to happen on demand, so learning what the "triggers" are is quite difficult. it also made searching the forum for like problems more difficult.

I am hoping that someone has seen this before so I can at least try to rule things out.

Thanks!!

Adam
There is nothing to rule out. Sometimes the VSA logic meets it's parameters and activates. Certain motions that can occur on bumps will trigger it. No big deal, it tells you the system is working.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I am curious. Mine does this also. Freaked out the first time, especially when you lose power for a moment. What would happen if you went off road. Would you lose power consistently.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
This can happen at times with the Ridgeline when I use to drive it all the time.
I would drive from Southern Maryland home to DC and back often. I would come over the Fredrick Douglas Memorial Bridge near Nationals Ball Stadium.
When you get ready to hit Suitland Parkway there is an old railroad track this would always cause the VSA/TSC System to activate for a second. This also happens with my nephews 09 Ford Focus I have driven down the same street and ran over the same manhole cover and the system will activate.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I also experience the problem in my '08 RL over speed bumps and raised railroad track grade but not all the time. The loss of power concerns me because I'm afraid someone will hit me from the rear before the power kicks back in. I've tried to duplicate it on test drives but never been able to. I'm at a loss for a reason also.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Slowing enough and letting it float over the speed bump as well as approaching at a sharper angle *if other taffic/obstacles allows it* so both wheels don't hit the bump at the same exact moment, helps reduce the total range of motion.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Mine also does it if I hit asphalt patches in the road at normal speed. Not all the time but most of the time. Sometimes even the raised expansion joints in the road activate it. It recovers but the VSA light stays on. The only way to clear it is to shut off the engine and restart.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone! I just wanted to make sure that there was not something failing in the RL. You know that sometimes something like this is the "early Warning" of something worse.

Adam

1 - 10 of 10 Posts