Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two times now the VSA light and the exclamation point light have come on while driving. They have gone off and not returned when I shut off and restart the vehicle. Haven't had time to get in to the shop. This can't be good, can it?

·
Registered
668 Posts
rjrempel said:
Two times now the VSA light and the exclamation point light have come on while driving. They have gone off and not returned when I shut off and restart the vehicle. Haven't had time to get in to the shop. This can't be good, can it?
once it comes on it doesn't turn off till you shut the truck off? I routinely take my VSA fuse out when off roading all the warning lights stay on till i put the fuse back in.. interestingly though the lights don't go out till i shut the truck down and restart it. whhich leads me to believe for some reason your VSA system has an issue. the lights come on not only when you are slipping on the road but when the VSA becomes inopperative. if it just came on cuz you were slipping on the road it would go out as soon as the vehicle was stablized. I hope that helps a bit.

Or to make a long story short, what he said ....AIBIKR!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Isn't the VSA button right next to the Cruise Control Button? Like AIBIKR said, I bumped the button with my knee as well, but then I just pressed the button again to re-enable the VSA and the light was gone. If you press the button when the light is on, does it go off?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has happened when I'm on the interstate, doing 75ish. The fact that the warning light (exclamation point in a triangle) and VSA light come on simultaneously is what concerns me. Pushing the various buttons seems to have no impact.
I'm going to stop by the shop tomorrow...with fingers crossed.
Thanks for the advice

RJ

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE:
There's a sensor that detects the degree to which the steering wheel is off center. It was fouled up such that when the wheels were square the sensor thought they were turned 12 degrees. We'll see if the reset fixes the problem.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
rjrempel said:
UPDATE:
There's a sensor that detects the degree to which the steering wheel is off center. It was fouled up such that when the wheels were square the sensor thought they were turned 12 degrees. We'll see if the reset fixes the problem.
That happened to mine when they did the creaky steering wheel fix. It was the 1st fix the dealer had done for the creaky wheel and he didn't know about the yaw sensor behind the wheel. Fortunately, he test drove it and found it without me having to bring it back in!

·
Registered
54 Posts
FWIW, I experienced similar happening where both VSA & exclamation warning came on and stayed on once started. The front wheels were turned away from the curb, being parked uphill. Further, I remote started the RL and discovered those warning lights staying on upon entering into the car.

So I'll try to repeat the experiment again, by using remote start as the control variable. Never before had I experienced this.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
My Check VSA light came on today.
I just parked her without restart.
Hopefully, it'll go away towards the end of the day, when I go home.
I have seen several posts referring to some steering wheel sensor? Which one is it, how much and where to buy it?
I did accelerate up hill few hundred feet before light came up. I did not see any VSC lights flash during acceleration and don't think wheels slipped. Turned into garage, and light came up.
Biggest question - is vehicle drivable with this light on? That's all I care for now.

It's 2009 model. I found sensor location. Left bottom side of steering column. Is it field serviceable or the entire piece behind steering wheel needs to be pulled out? I am NOT touching air bag. I found old post with speed's replacement diagram, but that was for 2006-2008. There it looked like an integral part of whatever the part behind the steering wheel is.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
My Check VSA light came on today.
I just parked her without restart.
Hopefully, it'll go away towards the end of the day, when I go home.
I have seen several posts referring to some steering wheel sensor? Which one is it, how much and where to buy it?
I did accelerate up hill few hundred feet before light came up. I did not see any VSC lights flash during acceleration and don't think wheels slipped. Turned into garage, and light came up.
Biggest question - is vehicle drivable with this light on? That's all I care for now.

It's 2009 model. I found sensor location. Left bottom side of steering column. Is it field serviceable or the entire piece behind steering wheel needs to be pulled out? I am NOT touching air bag. I found old post with speed's replacement diagram, but that was for 2006-2008. There it looked like an integral part of whatever the part behind the steering wheel is.
There are a few sensors. There is a steering wheel "yaw" sensor, another one in the dash I do believe, and a sensor at each wheel. 9/10 its the sensor at a wheel, but that usually throws an ABS light as well. Those types of VSA problems are tough to diagnose with out an HDS scanner. My RL threw those lights on when my battery was toast, replaced battery and the lights went out. Hows your battery?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Yaw sensor is in the center console towards rear end of it. Steering angle sensor is in the steering column.
My battery is brand new, just installed.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
As of now, I only need to know, if I can drive the car. I am 30 miles away from home and have to go to a satellite office later today. I don't want to get stranded on cold FWY.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I'd drive it. Its not a crucial system.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Called local Honda, told me not to worry and drive. I'll see what happens after restart later today. If it stays, will try fuse.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
She's been a good girl.
Light went off.
I wonder if you just had some crap on a wheel sensor... It used to happen with my MDX.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Ridgeline
779 Posts
Yaw sensor is in the center console towards rear end of it. Steering angle sensor is in the steering column.
My battery is brand new, just installed.
Hold up, there is a yaw sensor in the center console!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
So here's the kicker to all this. This is so funny, I'll put it all in caps. Mods forgive.
Driving my Camry today.
Backing out of patient yard, on slippery pavement. Steering turned all the way to the left.
STEP ON GAS PEDAL, LEFT WHEEL SLIPS - VSC LIGHT COMES UP!! WARNING TRIANGLE, ABS, AND CHECK VSC, SAME AS VSA FOR HONDAS.
Looks like Japanese got same problem with their stability systems for both the big guys.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,190 Posts
Heh! Technology! It's great... when it works. ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts