Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few speed bumps in my neighborhood and one in particular always rubs my RTL the wrong way! Anyone also experience VSA kick in when going over a speed bump and looses some power briefly during / after the bump ?

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Yep, I thought I busted something when it first happened...:act060:

·
Premium Member
16,728 Posts
it's normal, the Ridge hates speed bumps

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,588 Posts
This would beg the question as to exactly how fast are you traversing said speed bumps? I've never experienced a VSA issue with speed bumps. But I ease over them. I don't try to catch any air from them.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
This would beg the question as to exactly how fast are you traversing said speed bumps? I've never experienced a VSA issue with speed bumps. But I ease over them. I don't try to catch any air from them.
Same with me.

The only time I have seen the VSA is when there was ice on the road. I have gone over a lot of speed bumps no VSA ever on the bumps, of course I slow down for them.

·
Premium Member
16,728 Posts
it's not an issue, it's just alerting the driver that the vehicle lost complete traction. I remember getting the VSA to come on all the time, especially on washboard-type roads.

If you accelerate off the top of the speed hump, you can get VSA to kick in
....some people drive their vehicle and some people DRIVE their vehicle :act018:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no more than 3-5 mph ever. but i realized today that this one is higher than the others...i go through 3 speed bumps every day...only this one gets the VSA off...but I will take it as non-issue. thanks.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Mr. Leadfoot here can confirm the VSA off speedbumps thing - I get that.

I've also got one turn I make on the way home from the office - the road I'm turning off of was repaved at some point, and there's an inch or so drop going between it and the road I'm turning on to. Between the lateral force of the turn and the thunk of the drop, the VSA kicks in sometimes...

- Chip

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
If they are large speed humps I can support flying up and over them. :act024:

·
Premium Member
5,568 Posts
Add 5 psi to your tires and drive over a couple of speed bumps. You'll miraculously develop this problem too. I used to think that people were nuts when they mentioned this problem. I now have this problem myself. I actually wouldn't call it a problem as much as a weird phenomena.

The easiest way to duplicate this phenomena is to over inflate your tires and then find a speed bump that is slightly uphill or downhill. Approach it at about 15 mph and brake right before you get to it and then hit the gas after the front axle has passed over it but before the rear hits it.

I think it has something to do with jarring some sort of sensor because of higher tire pressure that creates a harder or sharper "landing" on the far side of a speed bump and almost always develops when the tires you have on the truck are the wrong circumference. (I know this because I have 3 sets of wheels. Wanna buy a set? Anyone?) The 4wd seems to have to be engaged and thus you have to be going under 6 mph during the braking to acceleration portion of your experiment.

I would think that every person who runs 20" wheels or oversized tires like a 265-65-17 would instantly develop this problem because most people who have this sized tire run at least 35-40 psi in their tires which in theory creates a harder more harsh landing on the south side of a speed bump.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I think it has to do with the accelerometers detecting the sudden "fall" as your front tires descend the back side of the bump/hump and anticipating a loss of traction. It definitely will surprise you the first time it happens.

There's a couple of neighborhoods here with them and I've heard people talk about adding more to slow people down. I'm sorry, I don't believe in building noisemakers in front of people's houses. Just petition for a lower limit and better enforcement. In the meantime, I'll just hit them at the posted speed limit and continue to get dirty looks.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
:act035: :act035: :act035:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,588 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,588 Posts
Add 5 psi to your tires and drive over a couple of speed bumps. You'll miraculously develop this problem too. I used to think that people were nuts when they mentioned this problem. I now have this problem myself. I actually wouldn't call it a problem as much as a weird phenomena.

The easiest way to duplicate this phenomena is to over inflate your tires and then find a speed bump that is slightly uphill or downhill. Approach it at about 15 mph and brake right before you get to it and then hit the gas after the front axle has passed over it but before the rear hits it.

I think it has something to do with jarring some sort of sensor because of higher tire pressure that creates a harder or sharper "landing" on the far side of a speed bump and almost always develops when the tires you have on the truck are the wrong circumference. (I know this because I have 3 sets of wheels. Wanna buy a set? Anyone?) The 4wd seems to have to be engaged and thus you have to be going under 6 mph during the braking to acceleration portion of your experiment.

I would think that every person who runs 20" wheels or oversized tires like a 265-65-17 would instantly develop this problem because most people who have this sized tire run at least 35-40 psi in their tires which in theory creates a harder more harsh landing on the south side of a speed bump.
5 more psi? I already run 36 psi. In almost two years of RL ownership, I have never experienced this. But again, I ease over the speed bumps, I don't power over them.

I don't doubt what you guys are experiencing, but I suspect that my slow speed over them is the difference.

See above video for comparison. :act027:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts