Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day, while traveling down the highway at 70 mph, my 2007 Ridgeline's VSA, TPMS, ABS, VTM-4 and other misc warning lights on the dash came on out of the blue. I shut the engine off at a stop light and restarted, which made the lights disappear. Over the course of the next week, the lights have now came on 6-7 times. Nothing appears to be wrong and the vehicle is running just the same as always. No particular event seems to set the lights off.

I did some research on the forum and found out that a weak battery might be the issue. I checked the battery and it has a sticker on it (8/15) that indicates the battery was made in August of last year. The vehicle continues to start well and has no issues of weak turnover when you turn the key. As background, I purchased this used with 82,000 miles from the original owner in March of 2016.

What other possible issues could it be? And has anyone else had this happen to them?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,265 Posts
Still test the battery, or replace. Sounds similar to what happened to me a few years ago. Ultimately, once tested I'd lost a "cell". Recently another member had the same happen battery was like 3 or 4 months old, IIRC, my battery was about a year old.

Check out this thread, http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/71-problems-issues/131825-died-freeway.html, you can even do a simple volt meter test.

A digital volt meter will tell you now if you've lost a cell. Mine was reading like 10.9v and should read without the alternator between 12.3v & 13.4v, vehicle off, not running. Amazingly it would start, but would get real whacky once running? Also when I pulled it, 8-10 hrs after it happened, there was battery acid everywhere, in the tray, and all around the outside of the battery.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Agree. Measure the battery voltage.

Something else to check is the gas cap seal.

Chip H.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the ideas. I checked the battery and alternator over lunch, both checked out fine.

Now I'm thinking it is either a faulty wire, a short in a wire or a sensor that is going bad.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Does your truck have any aftermarket electronics installed? Could be stereo, trailer hitch wiring, etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The other day, while traveling down the highway at 70 mph, my 2007 Ridgeline's VSA, TPMS, ABS, VTM-4 and other misc warning lights on the dash came on out of the blue. I shut the engine off at a stop light and restarted, which made the lights disappear. Over the course of the next week, the lights have now came on 6-7 times. Nothing appears to be wrong and the vehicle is running just the same as always. No particular event seems to set the lights off.

I did some research on the forum and found out that a weak battery might be the issue. I checked the battery and it has a sticker on it (8/15) that indicates the battery was made in August of last year. The vehicle continues to start well and has no issues of weak turnover when you turn the key. As background, I purchased this used with 82,000 miles from the original owner in March of 2016.

What other possible issues could it be? And has anyone else had this happen to them?
Same problem as my 2006 RTL. 112,000 miles. I've had the lights come on twice. Both times a battery charge have made the lights disappear.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,265 Posts
OK,

Check the Grounds in the engine compartment, there are 3, IIRC. Sometimes there is corrosion similar to the corrosion on the battery and it cause's issues.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,592 Posts
Same problem as my 2006 RTL. 112,000 miles. I've had the lights come on twice. Both times a battery charge have made the lights disappear.
Just to clarify... did you mean to say battery chaRge? Or did you mean battery chaNge?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,592 Posts
OK,

Check the Grounds in the engine compartment, there are 3, IIRC. Sometimes there is corrosion similar to the corrosion on the battery and it cause's issues.
Here's some reference info from the 2006-08 FSM:

Reactions: Carsmak

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem. The battery was fine but had a little corrosion on the positive battery post and the cable that connects to that post. Replaced the cable and cleaned up the post, snugged it good and tight and the problem was gone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts