Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

my 2006 has 114K miles. Yesterday and today, when leaving for work in the morning, both the engine light and the VTM-4 are on. Returning from work in the afternoon, the engine light was on, but not VTM-4 light. This morning, both on again (at work at this moment so not sure yet what will happen this afternoon).

I am accustomed to the engine light coming on when I do not tighten the gas cap enough. I always find that as long as I do at least 4 clicks it stays off. I filled it up tank two mornings ago, and its possible that is the reason for the engine light (i.e., perhaps I did not tighten cap as I usually do).

However, the VTM-4 light being on is a new experience for me. It is important to note that the engine to me seems to run great (like the day I bought it) and if it was not for the light, I would say everything is great with my almost-11-year-old Ridgeline.

Anyway, I have read threads on here about this phenomenon, but I do not see an consistent explanation. Still, I would be grateful for advise on how I proceed with exploring this issue. Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have had the same issue with the VTM_4 light on at start up and remained on while driving . cleared itself on next startup after a short drive. twice in the last 2 weeks. extremely cold -25 when happened . while this light is on my 4x4 lock does not work. so I am also wondering what is up maybe to cold for engagement of 4x4 vern52

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,119 Posts
There can be many reasons for the VTM-4 light to come on. It's kinda hard to pin it down with the basic info you've provided.

See here, for example:

Have you had the codes checked? If so, what codes are showing up?

Also, where are you on maintenance? Have you had the TB/WP/sparkplugs/hydraulic tensioner/valve adjustment done yet? Have you checked the front bank of sparkplugs to make sure none are loose? (13-lb-ft torque).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for reply. Actually, i don't have your extreme cold issue. Symptoms showed up on days with temperature in the 40s (although road was wet today, I did not lose traction at any time).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not had the codes checked. I will do that this afternoon. Thanks for the reply. I need to look at my records when I get home. I know I had the plugs replaced with the last 15K miles. What is "TB" and "WP"?

Thanks for reply

·
Super Moderator
23,119 Posts
TB/WP = timing belt and water pump.

If you had the plugs replaced, was it with OEM plugs? I assume the plugs were replaced as part of the TB/WP service (-4 service)?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I did have timing belt and water pump replaced right after 100K, and plugs at the same time, all at the Honda dealer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, here are the codes. I got a guy at Advanced Auto Parts to read the codes with his little meter. I took pictures of each code and summarized in the table. I hope this is useful

I reached upload limit. will try to upload remaining two after this.

Again, any feedback greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Speedlever, you asked about my engine codes. I posted them to this thread but have not heard back from anyone and its been several days. Here they are again. They don't seem to match your list for the VTM-4 indicator:

code description
25 YAW rate sensor malfunction
91 controller area network communication malfunction
PO420 Catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1 current 165-1
P2254 Oxygen sensor negative current control circuit / open bank 2 sensor 1 current 156-12
P2254 Oxygen sensor negative current control circuit / open bank 2 sensor 1 temp 156-12
PO420 Catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1 confirmed
P2254 Oxygen sensor reference groundl circuit / open bank 2 sensor 1 confirmed
P2254 Oxygen sensor reference groundl circuit / open bank 2 sensor 1 pending

Thanks for any reply

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Speedlever, you asked about my engine codes. I posted them to this thread but have not heard back from anyone and its been several days. Here they are again. They don't seem to match your list for the VTM-4 indicator:

code description
25 YAW rate sensor malfunction
91 controller area network communication malfunction
PO420 Catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1 current 165-1
P2254 Oxygen sensor negative current control circuit / open bank 2 sensor 1 current 156-12
P2254 Oxygen sensor negative current control circuit / open bank 2 sensor 1 temp 156-12
PO420 Catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1 confirmed
P2254 Oxygen sensor reference groundl circuit / open bank 2 sensor 1 confirmed
P2254 Oxygen sensor reference groundl circuit / open bank 2 sensor 1 pending

Thanks for any reply
Pending Speed/Others' replies: These codes are what you should focus on wrt action plans. Be advised the VTM-4 light will come on with a variety of other issues.... it seems easily effected, apparently due to incidental, secondary effect on VTM-4 operation (or possibly for no reason at all?). I wouldn't worry about VTM-4 just because the light is on... there are many instances where this is a non-issue. Get your code-generating problems solved and it will likely stay out as well when codes are cleared.

·
Super Moderator
23,119 Posts
Sorry thc, but those are beyond my experience. That looks like Honda HDS work to me. Keep us posted please.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2007 Ridgeline with 98k....engine light came on, vtm-4 light as well....I have worked on motorcycles for decades, did my research, thought about it....realized the spark plugs have never been replaced!..they are NGK iridium type.....I read that if the module picks up an intermittent miss on one or more cylinders, it will confuse the very sensitive pick-ups that warn of traction loss, which illuminates the vtm-4 light, as well as the engine warning light....I found the number 5 plug ( the one center and front on the engine), and igniter to be dirty and the plug tip had separated internally from the ceramic insulator..making the spark have to jump, causing misfire at low rpms, and thus causing all these warning lights...with 6 new plugs, all lights are off...praying helped too......JUST GOOD INFO TO SHARE!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts