Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So we keep our boat on the back side of our house under a carport. To get it up there, I have to back it uphill on the gravel RV strip beside my driveway. It's not that steep of a grade, but certainly steep enough to be noticeable.

Would it be best for the truck to engage the VTM-4 Lock, or just leave it in normal driving mode when I'm backing and maneuvering in reverse. It's a reasonably tight squeeze, so I do have to do a lot of back a few feet and stop, then go again. Or pull forward a little and reposition.

Backing it in normally, I really don't slip the wheels, even on gravel (maybe a tiny bit here or there has happened before). But I want to use the mode that is best for the truck and the least strain on the drivetrain (especially transmission) overall.

Here's the opening to the back yard:

And here's a shot of the boat in the driveway that gives a little more perspective on the grade I'm backing up...

Another shot of the driveway (without the boat) to get an idea of the slope of the driveway/RV parking...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. I can't imagine living in such a cramped arrangement!

Leave VTM-4 LOCK alone.
Not everything's a big as it is in Texas. My house would probably cost half as much in TX. so I have to work with a 6700 square foot lot.

But it sure is nice to be able to keep the toys out of the rain.

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
Avoid using VTM-4 LOCK for this application.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Agree with others.... reason being you are turning on hard surface before you get to the gravel. NEVER lock VTM-4 on hard surface unless you're moving in a straight line. Hypothetically, if you started having trouble (which you have said you don't) after you've straightened out, you could lock it for the rest of the way straight back (if it were steeper for instance).

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I agree to not lock it. Honestly, if a person accepts the stated way the VTM-4 system works (and I see no reason to not), the VTM-4 lock button is a useless gimmick. The system will lock itself any time there's wheelspin, so the button is superfluous.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I agree to not lock it. Honestly, if a person accepts the stated way the VTM-4 system works (and I see no reason to not), the VTM-4 lock button is a useless gimmick. The system will lock itself any time there's wheelspin, so the button is superfluous.
Not really.... if you are off-road on loose surface, slow climbing uphill.... it's nice to go with lock as opposed to needing "spin" to get maximum traction. I found it very comforting to feel that absolute grip. I agree the automatic aspects of the system cover all eventualities, but it's just nice to go right to max when you want/need it, as infrequently as that might be.

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
Not really.... if you are off-road on loose surface, slow climbing uphill.... it's nice to go with lock as opposed to needing "spin" to get maximum traction. I found it very comforting to feel that absolute grip. I agree the automatic aspects of the system cover all eventualities, but it's just nice to go right to max when you want/need it, as infrequently as that might be.
No offense DNICK, in the scenerio the OP described, this is a great way to cause the rear differential clutch failure (Which is a "silent" failure... Meaning you get no indication the clutches are fried).

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,895 Posts
I think Dnick was differing with bulwnkl on the VTM-4 manual lock being superfluous. Not that he was suggesting using VTM-4 lock for the OP's situation.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
No offense DNICK, in the scenerio the OP described, this is a great way to cause the rear differential clutch failure (Which is a "silent" failure... Meaning you get no indication the clutches are fried).
I think Dnick was differing with bulwnkl on the VTM-4 manual lock being superfluous. Not that he was suggesting using VTM-4 lock for the OP's situation.
Correct-o-mundo Speed. Perhaps I should have been more clear. :)

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I have an XLV as well. The only time that I use VTM-4 Lock routinely is when loading the boat up the coarse gravel ramp at the marina. It doesn't look necessary on the slope that you have. If you want to use Lock at all, make sure that it's strictly when on the loose surface.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Piling on feedback here. VTM lock as with any locker puts more strain on the drive train. The vehicle not only has to power each wheel against the load but locking adds load by differences in wheel travel and speed. I used to off road VW buggies and we ran less aggressive tires because wheel spin was desired over aggressive biting and tearing up the transaxle or CVs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts