Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

VTM-4 Lock stays on

21K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  speedlever 
#1 ·
My VTM-4 Lock indicator light is on and the "D" for drive is blinking. It seems as if the VTM-4 system is stuck on, I tried to turn if off with the button but this does nothing. Can a fuse be out on the system, and does any one know where the fuse is for the VTM-4 system. I did not get a owners manual with the truck. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
A blown fuse would not cause the VTM system to remain engaged. You've got other problems.

If the system is really in VTM lock I would not drive it. Call the dealer and explain that you fear that driving the vehicle may cause addition damage and they need to have it towed (flatbed).

#3 ·
Most likely the VTM-4 is not stuck on. The light may be on, but that indicates a failure is occurring in the VTM-4 or transmission systems. If the light is the only symptom, then drive it to the dealer and have it diagnosed. If thew truck feels weird - like it is grabby or shakes bad when making a tight turn, then you should get it towed.

HT

#15 ·
Most likely the VTM-4 is not stuck on. The light may be on, but that indicates a failure is occurring in the VTM-4 or transmission systems. If the light is the only symptom, then drive it to the dealer and have it diagnosed. If thew truck feels weird - like it is grabby or shakes bad when making a tight turn, then you should get it towed.

HT
My button doesn’t work, the vtm light on the dashboard comes and goes. It is always in 4 wheel drive. Is it a expensive fix? Tom

#4 · (Edited)
I don't think is just the light because, when I take off is like when your in drive "2". It takes off very slow, but it runs find no pulling in either direction. Has anyone seen the "D" blink before. Also one other thing when I put the ridgeline in drive 2 or 3, the VTM-4 Lock button light does not come on when I ingage the button.

#5 ·
There seems to be a transmission malfunction. If there is a code stored in the transmission control module, it will deactivate the vtm-4 and default to second gear start. It sounds to me like you have a definite problem in the transmission. I would get it checked out asap.

HT

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks HondaTech, one more question. I install a CB Radio to my ridgeline could I have shorted something out that could cause this problem and what could it be. One more thing when I put the ridgeline in drive I can feel it ingage into 4 wheel drive. Is there a relay that I can pull out to stop it from going into VTM 4 lock.

#8 · (Edited)
One more thing when I put the ridgeline in drive I can feel it ingage into 4 wheel drive.
I doubt that very much. This isn't old school 4wd where gears get meshed. Drive engagement on the Ridgeline is via two electomagnetic clutches in the rear-differential and by default they are engaged when you first start the vehicle. They gradually disengage as you start moving faster. You don't feel a thing. Any clunking or "engaging" that you are feeling may be symptomatic of whatever the flashing D is trying to tell you.

#9 ·
"If [the D indicator] flashes while driving (in any shift position), it indicates a possible problem in the transmission."

I'd say a trip to the dealer is your next action.
Good call Lingered_I. He is right. I wouldn't drive the truck an inch until a dealer looks at it. Call the dealer on monday morning. Have it towed to the dealer on a flatbed like Csimo said. Do not drive it. If you can really feel like you can feel 4wd, you may have problems that may cause serious tranny damage.

You also mentioned you installed a CB. Have you tried taking your wiring back out to see if your problem goes away? Are you sure that you plugged all of the harnesses back in when you put the dash back together? Are you sure that you plugged them all back in the correct places?

#10 ·
Here's some relevant information from the service manual, page 15-4....

The VTM-4 indicator comes on under certain conditions even if the 4WD system is working normally. Here are some examples:

• When you use high-powered wireless equipment such as a CB or Ham radio in the vehicle.
  • When you keep spinning the front wheels while the vehicle is stuck in sand, mud, snow, etc
  • When the battery voltage suddenly drops below 8 volts or rises above 16 volts

#12 ·
I agree with ChrisM, unhook the CB wiring you did and see if that makes the truck revert back to normal operation. If it does, maybe you should contact the dealer and ask them the best way to hook up the CB radio, or, tie directly off the battery for your power, don't tap in to any hot circuits.

#13 ·
I have been working and could not get back, HondaTech hit it. I called the service department and they said to bring it in. It just defaulted into Drive 2. It ended up being a blown fuse on the VTM-4 system. I would like to say thanks to all that gave me info.:D

#14 ·
Thanks for posting the outcome.

Now that I have learned something new for the day it's Miller time!!:D

#17 ·
I have an 06 ridgline, the button does not work, It is always in 4 wheel drive,most days the vtm-4 light comes on the dash some days not. I know because l can’t spin the back tires even when slippery out all 4 are working. I am 64 and I know cars and trucks and I am stupid when it comes to newer stuff.🤔

#18 ·
The Ridgeline is always in AWD (4wd) mode from a start. That's normal. If you could spin a tire on pavement from a start, that would indicate the system is not functioning normally.

That being said, it sounds like you may have some electrical issues with your 2006 if the VTM-4 light is intermittent. At least you know the bulb isn't burned out.

Regardless, you want to treat the VTM-4 lock button (which only works in D1, D2, and R) like a manual differential lock. Only use it in slippery conditions so you don't bind up the driveline and associated components.

Reactions: Sparkland
#21 ·
All bets are off if you have a modded vehicle. Who knows what's been done?

#23 ·
How long have you had this vehicle?

#25 ·
Has it always done this since you've had it or is this recent behavior?

You need to take it out and give it a good drive occasionally. 2.7 miles is not even enough time to fully warm up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.