Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Honda Ridgeline Sport and had the rear differential fluid and transmission fluid serviced/replaced at 37,222 miles. I am now seeing a B16 Maintenance Minder Code, which B1 is just rotate tires, but B6 is Replace VTM-4 rear differential fluid. I currently have 44,000 miles which is around 7,000 miles give or take since the original change of fluid. It seems too early for me to have to change it again. Opinions/Thoughts???

I do tow a boat in the summer, but it is not a huge boat, probably 4,000 lbs fully loaded with gas/gear included. I am looking at the B6 code and the manual is saying you should change the Rear Differential Fluid every 15,000 miles. It appears my Maintenance Minder has come up way sooner than normal. Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I am guessing you replaced the fluids the first time when no code had yet come up on your maintenance minder. It doesn't (can't) know when you actually change fluids, and if you change them early, the maintenance minder cues will never be "on schedule".
So once you've done a service before it's due (according to the maint. minder), you just have to keep track yourself of when they are next due (go by mileage, not the MM cues).
All you can do now is:
1) Clear the code & move on (go by mileage from now on).
2) Do a 2nd, "duplicate" service to get you back on schedule.
3) Clear the code & wait 'til the MM cues you again (this option will have you putting more miles on the current fluids than is recommended, but should really be OK if you really like the MM reminders & don't want to do #2).

Remember, the MM only knows how many miles since it was last CLEARED. It does not know whether or not you actually performed any service when you cleared it, or if any services were performed "early" (as in your case I suspect).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Dnick,

Thanks for the reply. I probably wasn't clear enough. The last time I did the transmission and rear diffrential fluid changes both codes WERE ON at 37,222 miles. I did not change the fluids early. My main concern now is why is the rear differential code showing up 7,000 miles later (currently at 44,000 total miles on truck) when the standard is 15,000 miles for rear differential change?

Hope that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
For reference, on a 'new' Ridgeline the VTM fluid is to be changed around 15,000 miles. After that 1st change the interval stretches to 30k, so the 2nd change would be around 45K, and so on. Hope this puts it in perspective, some how.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
For reference, on a 'new' Ridgeline the VTM fluid is to be changed around 15,000 miles. After that 1st change the interval stretches to 30k, so the 2nd change would be around 45K, and so on. Hope this puts it in perspective, some how.
Lol..i sure hope that is true on my 13 crv..it alarmed to change dif fluid at 12k. I couldn't believe it. No reminder yet at 38000

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Of course following the MM there is some variance. The 15K, etc. is a baseline recommendation.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Hey Dnick,

Thanks for the reply. I probably wasn't clear enough. The last time I did the transmission and rear diffrential fluid changes both codes WERE ON at 37,222 miles. I did not change the fluids early. My main concern now is why is the rear differential code showing up 7,000 miles later (currently at 44,000 total miles on truck) when the standard is 15,000 miles for rear differential change?

Hope that makes sense.
Yeah, that clears things up; and NO you wouldn't expect a new MM cue at 7000 miles for Rear Diff.
Maybe Joe can provide info on what the minimum should be, given the criteria/algorithm used to generate those notices?
You got anything on this Joe???

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,908 Posts
All due respect to the OP but I think that the most likely scenario is that you are (were) mistaken about the truck asking for rear differential fluid change at the 37K interval. Keep in mind that the transmission fluid service also requires the changing of the front transfer assembly fluid at the same time. My guess is that either you are remembering that or that the service people actually mistakenly changed the rear diff instead of or in addition to the front transfer.

You are currently at the mileage that one would expect to be doing their second VT4 fluid service. In my experience, the maintenance minder system doesn't seem to vary much (in terms of mileage) when it come to the VTM4, transmission / transfer, and timing belt services. These services pretty much seem to coincide with the closest oil change to their "preferred" interval (VTM 15k, 45k, 75K etc , timing belt @105K). The oil change frequency does seem to vary with the type of driving.

It might be best to do your VTM4 service just to get back on proper schedule. . .

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Accepting all that you say, OP, about the codes and timing, I have no decent explanation for this code coming back up this quickly, other than a mis-read or most recollection. Personally, I'd change the fluid and reset the meter.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,615 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All due respect to the OP but I think that the most likely scenario is that you are (were) mistaken about the truck asking for rear differential fluid change at the 37K interval. Keep in mind that the transmission fluid service also requires the changing of the front transfer assembly fluid at the same time. My guess is that either you are remembering that or that the service people actually mistakenly changed the rear diff instead of or in addition to the front transfer.

You are currently at the mileage that one would expect to be doing their second VT4 fluid service. In my experience, the maintenance minder system doesn't seem to vary much (in terms of mileage) when it come to the VTM4, transmission / transfer, and timing belt services. These services pretty much seem to coincide with the closest oil change to their "preferred" interval (VTM 15k, 45k, 75K etc , timing belt @105K). The oil change frequency does seem to vary with the type of driving.

It might be best to do your VTM4 service just to get back on proper schedule. . .
I remember seeing B36 before I had it serviced at 37,222 and that would include replacing the transmission and transfer fluid (B3) as well as replacing the VTM-4 Rear Differential Fluid (B6). Anyways, I appreciate everyone's feedback. I'm probably just going to go ahead and have the fluid changed out by the Honda dealer and get back on "schedule" if you will. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2008 Ridgeline 152,000 miles. Bolts were stuck super hard and came out dry, so maybe first ever change? Fluid looked nice, there was just a tiny tiny amount of shavings on the magnetic plug. took 3 qts of VTM-4. So, best advice ever is the advise about breaking loose the TOP bolt first!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts