Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had this happen to me a few times now on my 2006 - I'll accelerate heavily (in Drive) and the VTM-4 will come on and the engine will start surging. I'll stomp on the brake with all my might, ratchet on the handbrake and pull over to the side of the road. After turning it on and off for awhile and changing gears and stabbing at the VTM-4 button, etc., it will finally go back into drive and I will be able to carry on. It just happened again, this time almost right outside my house, and try as I might, I can't get it to return to normal behavior. Even after I turn off the key, the engine still runs for a bit and then shuts off. I think driving it while it's surging and difficult to stop is fairly dangerous and will probably end up getting it towed and it might even be the death knell - at 114k miles.

Anyone else experience this? If so, do you have a foolproof way of getting it back into Drive?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,263 Posts
Nope, have not heard of that specific issues, there are a few posts about engine surging, but I have never experienced it and I don't recall any specific solutions. IIRC, one had it nearly drive right thru the garage door and another was in heavy traffic, nearly rear ending the vehicle infront of them.

Search Engine Surging, if I find something I'll add to this post.

Only suggestions, have you checked the VTM fluid and when was it changed last. It's electromechanical, so what is the battery age. Total WAG's, just throwing

Please keep us posted on your final decision & results

Reactions: component

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestions. I waited until midnight so I would likely not run into any traffic and drove it a few blocks to drop it off at a mechanic - mostly just letting it accelerate itself in D then slowing down by shifting to N - luckily the few lights between here and there were all green. He looked at it this morning and seems to think it may be the throttle body, but there was also a hard code thrown, so we'll see. I'll post an update if a solution presents itself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pic here: ankle breaker in the throttle body of a Honda Ridgeline - Album on Imgur

OK it's little wonder no one else has had this problem. I'm speculating that when I took out the air filter to put in the K&N - in those few seconds an ankle breaker fell in and I didn't notice. How else would/could it have got into that closed system? Anyway - not the doom and gloom death knell for the Ridgeline I had been prophesying and much cheaper than I had been imagining. Best news of all - I no longer have to baby it - I can accelerate as hard as you like!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It cost me $140 for disassembly, assorted laughs, cleaning and reassembly.

I'm good with that tbh. Not sure what code was thrown sorry - just got the info second hand rather than attaching my own tool.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts