Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last few months I've dealt with brief hesitations or loss of power during light acceleration. Then on Monday, the hesitations got worse and started happening while I was driving down the highway, and my VTM-4 warning light came on (not the one on the button), and the transmission wouldn't upshift or downshift (I think it was in 3rd). I was stuck at around 4000RPM going 55mph. I limped along to the nearest Autozone, and the check engine light came back with just the O2 sensor codes I already knew were a problem, so nothing new. Leaving Autozone, I put the transmission down into 1, and it started out fine. Then I shifted into 2 and it upshifted, no problems. Once I got going, I moved it into Drive, and it was shifting like normal again.

Tuesday I took the day off of work and changed the VTM-4 fluid and transmission fluid. It had been about 40k on the transmission, and I had never personally changed the VTM-4 fluid; had the truck for 41k miles. The VTM-4 fluid looked pretty bright red when I changed it. Nothing surprising and not much in the way of metal shavings on the drain bolt. The transmission fluid also looked good, pretty red, but the drain bolt had some gray/black sludge on it. Once I cleaned it off, and buttoned the whole thing back up, everything seemed fine. It was shifting great and driving like a dream. Then last night on my way home, the VTM-4 light came back on, and the hesitations came back.

My VSA warning light has been on for a couple of weeks; I have a new YAW sensor ordered that should be here within the next week to fix that issue. I've seen a mention or two of the VSA possibly being related, so I wanted to try and rule that out.

I've got a 4 hour drive to Michigan coming up in two weeks and would love to figure out what this could be by then.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,544 Posts
The loss of power sure sounds to me like a VSA issue. Here's a chart you might use to explore your RL. Do you have a copy of the FSM for your 2012?

Text Font

Text Font
Motor vehicle Auto part Diagram Text Automotive exterior

·
Super Moderator
23,544 Posts
Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try.

Text Font Line Document Parallel

Text Line Font Document

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Much appreciated speedlever. I do have the FSM for the 2012. Looks like I've got some work to do this weekend.

·
Super Moderator
23,544 Posts
Keep us updated on your progress. Good luck!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A buddy of mine is the parts manager at one of the dealerships here in town, and he managed to get me in and have one of the techs scan it for free. Three codes came back (P0420 & P0430 for catalytic converters that I already knew about) and P2138. They said it was definitely the Pedal Position Sensor, so I went ahead and bought it last night.

I installed it in under 30 minutes today on my lunch break, and then was able to take a quick 5 minute drive, but I wasn't able to get over 45mph. The throttle was even-keeled the whole way, and shifts were smooth and had no hesitation, but the VSA light is still staying on. I'm hoping that it'll go away after I get a chance to drive it a little more and put the engine through some higher speed driving.

Reactions: Carsmak
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.