Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
17,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whoopsie! This is going to leave a bruise.

"The EPA and CRB discovered that a sophisticated software algorithm on certain Volkswagen vehicles detects when the car is undergoing emissions testing and only turns on the emissions control system during the test, according to a release from EPA. The vehicles emitted up to 40 times the allowable emissions of certain pollutants."

http://www.kltv.com/story/30064816/volkswagen-charged-with-clean-air-act-violations

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,377 Posts
Wow,

$900 Million Fine to GM, Imagine what this will be...

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,809 Posts
I always wondered how VW could get 50mpg out of a Beetle and no other vehicle could compare? I wonder if the recall will be in all 50 states?
Buy a VW now before the recall!
I guess unlike the GM cover-up, nobody died because of this.

·
Administrator
17,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Wow,

$900 Million Fine to GM, Imagine what this will be...
Potentially $18 billion in fines plus the cost of modifying the vehicle's software and/or emissions equipment and/or compensating owners for a class-action lawsuit that may follow if VW's modifications result in a downgrade to the vehicle's power and/or fuel economy.

Unfortunately this is going to give automotive diesel evolution in the US a big black eye.
Yup. Definitely a setback.

I always wondered how VW could get 50mpg out of a Beetle and no other vehicle could compare? I wonder if the recall will be in all 50 states?
Buy a VW now before the recall!
I guess unlike the GM cover-up, nobody died because of this.
Whether or not the recall affects all 50 states, it appears the number of vehicles is already known.

VW will probably temporarily stop selling the affected models while they figure out how they're going to handle this.

Nobody died directly, but you can bet attorneys are going to claim people died indirectly due to the "excessive levels of harmful emissions".

This could get really ugly for VW.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I thought Federal emissions these days applies the same to all states (regardless of how each state may legislate inspections, etc.).

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,589 Posts
Far as I know, the VW diesels have not needed to use DEF in the US unlike most other new US diesel vehicles. I wonder if this software trick was one of the ways that VW was able to achieve this? Seems likely . . . . .

Can you imagine the reaction of most VW diesel owners? You take your vehicle in for a recall and get it back with less performance and economy. Unless they are forced to or have a strong sense of environmental duty, I would think that most owners (if they knew the end result) would probably skip a recall.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,809 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I thought emissions were less stringent in some States. I wondered if the recall will be applied in States that don't require testing?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_inspection_in_the_United_States
My understanding is a Federal Emissions Requirements issue, so it does not matter which state they are sold in.
Yes, some states are less stringent in enforcing emissions requirements.

The EPA has now fully adopted the toughest CA requirements and applied it to all states starting in 2017.

2016 vehicles have to be built to meet those now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_emission_standards

How this will affect the verification of those regulations by different states in the future, I have no idea.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I thought Federal emissions these days applies the same to all states (regardless of how each state may legislate inspections, etc.).
Here in DC privately owned passenger vehicles go thru every 2yrs. New vehicles start when they are 4yrs old If vehicle is sold or required new tags registration. We just get checked for emission now but before 6yrs ago use to be brakes, Horn, lights, Tires, Suspension, windows, dents on car ect.I remember back in 1960s my father purchased wood type ski boat that he kept for a min. I was little but remember we had to drop boat in water and take trailer for inspection. Now the county my sister is in down in Maryland does not require inspection. So the Ridgeline has never had it done. But other jurisdiction in Maryland have inspection for emission like Silver Spring where Honda Dealer is at.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Similar to CA. The last time I brought in our 2003 CRV with 96K on the odometer they said everything was fine after just doing a check that the configuration was right and no components are disconnected, etc.
Some counties are smog exempt but not ours. I need to find out under what conditions they only do a check like that. I am certainly not going back and ask for more!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,589 Posts
Here in DC privately owned passenger vehicles go thru every 2yrs. New vehicles start when they are 4yrs old If vehicle is sold or required new tags registration. We just get checked for emission now but before 6yrs ago use to be brakes, Horn, lights, Tires, Suspension, windows, dents on car ect.I remember back in 1960s my father purchased wood type ski boat that he kept for a min. I was little but remember we had to drop boat in water and take trailer for inspection. Now the county my sister is in down in Maryland does not require inspection. So the Ridgeline has never had it done. But other jurisdiction in Maryland have inspection for emission like Silver Spring where Honda Dealer is at.
Off topic I know but you are not correct about Maryland. MD's inspection for new registration (used vehicles) and emissions inspection requirements are the same STATE WIDE. When you purchase a used vehicle it gets inspected for proper function, safety issues, etc etc. You only do this at initial purchase. DC used to have you do this type of inspection every couple of years which was most certainly a PIA. Glad to hear they have changed that. For emissions in MD I think new vehicles get a pass for a few years and then are required to be tested every two years. It doesn't matter where you live in MD, you are obligated to take your vehicle in for inspection when it is due. These notices come from the MVA which is a part of the Maryland state goverment and has nothing to do with county government. . . . They hook up a reader to the OBD plug to see if there are any codes, inspect gas cap sealing and look under the vehicle for damage, or modifications.

A few days later . . .After more reading, only certain counties in MD are part of the the State's emissions program. Some counties apparently have no emissions testing at all. FTM1 is correct and I am surprised at my own states policies. . . .

·
Administrator
17,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There are times when I wish emissions testing was preformed on more vehicles in more locations more frequently.

Particularly here in East Texas where emissions testing does not exist, poor people tend to drive old, worn-out vehicles that smoke and stink. Some diesel owners are running some [cheaper, inappropriate, and potentially illegal] grade of fuel not available at retail pumps that smells absolutely awful - like a wax factory burning to the ground. Just one ingestion by your vehicle's cabin air intake and both you and your vehicle's interior smell like smoke the rest of the day. Then, there are the spoiled teenagers and 40-something teenagers with small penises who think it's cute to "roll coal".

·
Registered
744 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts